Epik 15" DIY Ported Subwoofer - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 55 Old 03-10-14, 12:06 PM
Shackster

Re: Epik 15" DIY Ported Subwoofer

Quote:
dboff01 wrote: View Post
Local paneling/ceilings/floors store in my area.

http://www.lipanel.com/

But I think it is pretty similar to the paper-backed stuff you can get from parts-express.
ok thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 55 Old 03-12-14, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
dboff01

My System

Added grill mounting hardware and attached grill assembly tonight.

Now to start playing with REW and add subwoofer EQ capability (likely MiniDSP) as I performed a frequency sweep with the new amp and confirmed again my room's major peak around 40 Hz.

Epik 15" DIY Ported Subwoofer-img_0874.jpg

Epik 15" DIY Ported Subwoofer-img_0877.jpg

Last edited by dboff01; 03-12-14 at 08:06 PM.
post #43 of 55 Old 03-23-14, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
dboff01

My System

I picked up a MiniDSP 2x4 Box (w/2 Way Advanced 21 plug-in) as well as a Behringer UCA222 usb sound card (to provide line in/out in support of REW) for my laptop.

In conjunction with a Radio Shack analog SPL meter I already had, I have effectively tamed the volcanic peak at 40 Hz. The integration between REW and MiniDSP is a cinch.

I am still tinkering with house curves and such but here is the latest before and after response of the subwoofer.

Epik 15" DIY Ported Subwoofer-before_after_eq.jpg

post #44 of 55 Old 07-19-14, 10:17 PM

nice project! just one question, is the back cover with a hole will be left as it is? if so then there would be more bass reflex exiting the back cover than the front port? please advice me on this part. thanks!
post #45 of 55 Old 07-20-14, 10:11 PM
Shackster

that's where the amp goes
post #46 of 55 Old 07-20-14, 11:21 PM

Quote:
sicride wrote: View Post
that's where the amp goes
Oh I see! I thought the amp has a separate deck.. thanks for informing me.. as a newbie, still have a lot to learn about these things!
post #47 of 55 Old 07-21-14, 05:29 AM
Shackster

Yep, me too.

I also wanted to say to the original thread starter that is beautiful work. Must feel good to be finishing such a long project.
post #48 of 55 Old 07-21-14, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
dboff01

My System

Quote:
sicride wrote: View Post
Yep, me too.

I also wanted to say to the original thread starter that is beautiful work. Must feel good to be finishing such a long project.
Thanks. Yes, always good to get a project behind you, especially one so long in the making.

I enjoyed the sub project but don't know that I'll need to do it again. I've moved on to a kitchen renovation that is keeping me busy these days.
post #49 of 55 Old 08-06-14, 05:22 PM
Senior Shackster

Very nice Build !!

I just have one question, could you have used the hole width of the box for the port ? Like some of the Martysubs over at AVS ??

thanks.
post #50 of 55 Old 08-06-14, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
dboff01

My System

Quote:
randyc1 wrote: View Post
Very nice Build !!

I just have one question, could you have used the hole width of the box for the port ? Like some of the Martysubs over at AVS ??

thanks.
Sure, but realize that the port dimensions directly affect the tuning of the box as well as the maximum port velocity.

For instance, if I left the 2.5" port height the same but widened to the walls of the box, the port length would need to increase to maintain the same tuning due to the increased volume. That may have then caused the port to mechanically crash into the plate amp and the box design wouldn't work. Alternatively, if I reduced the length to still fit within the box, the tuning would change. Decreasing the height of the port to maintain the same volume/length/tuning, the surface area of the port increases which could negatively affect potential chuffing.

In other words, all the variables of external box dimensions, internal volume, max port velocity, tuning frequency, and cosmetics must all be considered to provide a design that works and meets your requirements.

Simple, right?

I played with WinISD alot to determine the effect port dimensions, internal volume, and power have on response, port velocity, and excursion. I then used Sketchup to see what was mechanically practical and still meet my WAF requirements.