LLT for TC Sounds Pro 5100 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 47 Old 09-17-12, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

LLT for TC Sounds Pro 5100

I need some help designing an LLT for a TC Sounds Pro 5100. I have tried to model it with Winisd and the graphs look funky, and I know its not right. I'm looking for a tune <=15hz. I am not picky about port shape but, prefer circle. Would like to keep box below 8cf. I would like to not use a highpass to bass blends well with the small front & rear setting currently a lowpass at 120hz.

AVS - Denon 3312ci

Current Amp - Crown XLS 1500 bridged at 4ohm 1050 watts. I will upgrade amp within the next year for a 2000w amp and move this amp to the fronts. So there for I would like to design under the 2000w assumption.

Your help is greatly appreciated...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 09-17-12, 11:50 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

My System
Re: LLT for TC Sounds Pro 5100

At a glance, I don't see an 18" driver in an LLT alignment fitting in <8cuft. Also, an HPF below tuning is pretty much mandatory in high power ported builds to protect the sub. I'll take a moment to model it up and let's see what it looks like.

Oh, and welcome to HTS !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #3 of 47 Old 09-18-12, 12:04 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

A LLT for a TC Sounds Pro 5100 will require 11 cu.ft., it will handle 1500 watts with no hi-pass, and it will require a slot port.

LLT for TC Sounds Pro 5100-pro-18.jpg

We're all in this together!

post #4 of 47 Old 09-18-12, 12:13 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

My System

Well it certainly models like a PA driver-- You aren't going to get anywhere near 14Hz with this driver. Pro drivers just aren't meant to do that (Fs too high, Vas too low). It looks like it would otherwise work to your size constraints, though.

Here's a -3dB EBS (5.5cuft @ 31Hz) and -6dB EBS (8cuft @ 22Hz) for you to look at. Either would need a 10" round port and an HPF to protect the sub below tuning, as Xlim is grossly surpassed with 1000W. I have both with an LPF @ 120Hz and the appropriate HPF to protect the driver.

Honestly, that driver is so sensitive that you still get a TON of SPL even with the -6dB EBS (115dB @ 20Hz!!). If you decide to continue, I'd suggest that alignment but with maybe a lower HPF, something around 60-80Hz to flatten out the range that you are using the sub for.

post #5 of 47 Old 09-18-12, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Thank you for your responses. At about the same time I posted here I emailed Thilo. Attached are the models he sent me for a 8 cf box with a 8" port 56" long. What do you guys think after looking at these graphs.
Attached Thumbnails
LLT for TC Sounds Pro 5100-pro5100vented15hz_1of3.jpg  

LLT for TC Sounds Pro 5100-pro5100vented15hz_2of3.jpg  

LLT for TC Sounds Pro 5100-pro5100vented15hz_3of3.jpg  

post #6 of 47 Old 09-18-12, 12:20 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

That will work as long as this is for HT only and you cross the sub over at 80 hz due to the port having a first port resonance at 120 hz. You will need 8" of clearance from the port intake to the cabinet wall, not sure where you will find an 8" elbow that's reasonably priced.

post #7 of 47 Old 09-18-12, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

yes Sir it is for HT only. I talked to a plumbing supplier and the elbows are $69 a piece. The PVC 8" pipe is like $7 dollars a foot and they only come in 20' pieces. What would an 8" circle equate to a square port. The PVC is more expensive than I want to spend.

Thanks again...
post #8 of 47 Old 09-18-12, 02:14 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

An 8" pipe has 50 square inches of port area, a bit overkill for what you need. If you made a cabinet that was 21" wide then an internal slot port that is 2" high x 18.5" wide and 40" long would work well. The port volume needs to be added to your net volume.

post #9 of 47 Old 09-18-12, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

What frequency is your calculation set to? I am getting a cylinder volume of 2813 inches cubed. Then if I convert into square feet it is 1.63 and using your dimensions it gives me a slot port width of 3.8 inches.

Am I approaching this right?
post #10 of 47 Old 09-18-12, 07:42 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

My System

As a side note, the simulation plots you posted agree with the previous recommendations of an HPF (at 15Hz) and a lower LPF of 60Hz.