Ultimate Subwoofer - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 90 Old 11-28-12, 12:12 PM
Shackster

Okay... Now this has got me thinking of crazy crazy things... Like placing the horn in the basement and ducting the mouth up through a floor vent into my family room... A stealth installation inspired by mose's attic horn.

What are the mouth dimensions when the mouth is configured on the end? And would it be okay if the duct had a floor joist going across it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 90 Old 11-28-12, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Mark

re: Ultimate Subwoofer

It's already been done buddy.

Actually built underneath the floor in a crawl space. The floor joist will have no effect whatsoever across the mouth.

Look up this on your favorite search engine:

The Crawler, A Floor joist horn build

___________________________________________________________________________ ___________

Mark

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Last edited by mwmkravchenko; 11-29-12 at 09:38 PM.
post #13 of 90 Old 12-01-12, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Mark

Here is a bit of info regarding the driver choices and what they do on the horn:

Ultimate Subwoofer-front-loaded-horn-subwoofer-faital-pro-12fh520-installed-smaller.gif

So here I show the difference in the output capabilities. The Faital Pro driver is actually more efficient in the low end. Which all around is a good thing right!

All across the board there is a gain in efficiency. This to is a good thing. So yes the driver is a bit more expensive, but the output of one of the Faital's is the same as two boxes using the TRIO12.

Not a bad trade off.

___________________________________________________________________________ ___________

Mark

post #14 of 90 Old 12-01-12, 02:12 PM
Shackster

Very impressive numbers! Although I'm guessing the real-world limits be a bit lower given Faital's Xmax of 7.25 mm and "Xdamage" of 19.5 mm for that driver... I was playing around with the ferrite driver in the hornresp model a bit and it looked like it could take about 33.47 V (or about 140 W at nominal 8 ohm) before Xlim, unless I'm missing something. Hey that's still modelling 122 dB at 19 Hz in 1pi so this discussion is largely academic
post #15 of 90 Old 12-01-12, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Mark

There is no publicly available model of this horn.

What was posted was for illustrative purposes only. The final design is much different.

As for the Trio12 numbers there is a bit of difference between published and real world specification

I have worked with both drivers. The Trio12 excursion numbers are much less in reality. The published specs were a little optomistic.

Mark

post #16 of 90 Old 12-02-12, 11:11 AM
Shackster

Ahh, my bad -- I didn't realize the design had been adjusted. I was using the input values from the old thread at DIYaudio, and then plugged in the published specs for the 12FH510.

Still curious about the spl at xmax and xlim with the new drivers though, as it looked to be pushing above xlim at 300W on the graph.

Matt
post #17 of 90 Old 12-02-12, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Mark

The sims I posted are absolutely possible when you consider they are done in a 2Pi or reflection from only one boundary.

Throw this box in a room, with a corner anywhere remotely close in terms of the wavelength of the sound within 10 feet of the mouth and you get at least 3 db better, lower than 30hertz you will get plus 6 db.

This box is designed to give you near flat in room response incorporating room gain all the way down to 14 hertz.

Mark

post #18 of 90 Old 12-02-12, 11:52 AM
Senior Shackster

My System
Mark, I've been following along with this discussion as a casual yet interested observer, seeing as I have this sub already and am super pleased with it. It seems to me you're saying I could take the Faital driver, drop it into my box, and almost double the performance over what I'm getting now with the Trio 12? If so, that's a tempting experiment I might want to try! I can't imagine two of these in room...make sure your house is built solid, people!

Kadijk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #19 of 90 Old 12-02-12, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Mark

Yes the impossible is now possible.

Muhhaaahhaaaaaa

Hide your china!

Mark

post #20 of 90 Old 12-03-12, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Mark

I should be fair in what I said in the last post.

Yes there will be a doubling in the output given the new driver, that is a plus three db gain.

But. ( yes the but stops here )

Down this low our hearing is not that acute. You will hear the difference, but only just hear the difference, it will not be a night and day " it's twice as loud " type of situation.

Remember that the decibel scale is logarithmic. Every 3 points up or down is a (up) a doubling of power, or (down) a halving of power.

To get that difference of twice as loud you need a difference of 10db, that sounds twice as loud. It is actually 8 times more efficient or eight times louder.

Mark