Ultimate Subwoofer - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 90 Old 01-08-13, 09:46 AM
Shackster

Oscillate

Re: Ultimate Subwoofer

"No one is going to use this horn up to 128 hertz"

Actually, that is exactly what I was thinking of doing The
DIY mains I am building need to be crossed above 80-100 Hz
and a horn loaded subwoofer seems to be the only way to do
so and maintain sound quality from 16-125 Hz. Thank you for
explanative reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 90 Old 01-10-13, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Mark

If you are truly going to use the horn up that high you had better use a fourth order crossover. And place the horn mouth as close to the speakers as is practical. If you can work out a steeper crossover slope it will work better. Let me know what you are using and maybe I can help you out.

___________________________________________________________________________ ___________

Mark

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
post #43 of 90 Old 07-09-13, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Mark

How goes the projects gents?

___________________________________________________________________________ ___________

Mark

post #44 of 90 Old 07-10-13, 08:23 AM
Senior Shackster

Doug

Sadly, the driver is still sitting in my closet and the wood is cut and sitting in my garage. While summer is here I don't expect I'll make any progress... but maybe if I move it to the basement where I actually have some AC...

Theatre Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #45 of 90 Old 07-10-13, 09:05 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

Dont give up. I have had some of my builds sit for many months for various reasons. Just keep thinking about it and then there will be time.

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.
post #46 of 90 Old 07-10-13, 09:13 AM
Shackster

Quote:
chrapladm wrote: View Post
Dont give up. I have had some of my builds sit for many months for various reasons. Just keep thinking about it and then there will be time.
+1 it seems all my projects progress in fits and starts, with life and work having a tendency to get in the way!

As much as I desire to build this horn, I am 12" short in floor-to-ceiling clearance where it would need to go. Sadly I don't think my skills are up for doing a refold to fit my space :*(
post #47 of 90 Old 07-11-13, 10:14 AM
Banned!
mikeett

Wow, that is some serious output/W.
I've been planning on building a ported sub of some sort, however they still require some serious wattage to produce spl and go low.

This horn looks like a beast, and can act as a screen stage and/or hide under the elevated rear seating area if I ever get going to actually start building my dedicated HT..

Time to play with hornresp again. Do you have any blueprint of this work your willing to share? Please?
post #48 of 90 Old 07-11-13, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Mark

mikeet you have a P.M.

Mark

post #49 of 90 Old 07-29-13, 10:53 AM
Shackster

WOW WOW WOW and WOW !!!!! Totally awesome. This sub performs, deep, clean, effortless powerful non distorted bass. Very musical can now hear separate bass notes. Thanks Mark for your design and replying to my emails.
Also got to thank Bob at CSS, great to deal with, Driver arrived in Australia within a week of ordering and also quick to reply to my initial emails.

Sub was built at my good friends workshop, Thanks Phil for your massive efforts. The sub is being tested in his house and was measuring 98db @30hz at three feet and 86 to 93db at 10 feet on general music. The 300 watt O Audio amp was not quite one third in volume. This was a quick test for air leaks around the driver with no problems. After playing for several days we moved the Sub to Brisbane. We used sand to fill the hollows instead of foam so it was probably around 140 kgs. We were able to move it quite easily with a specially made trolley, however we forgot about my 8ft ceilngs and of course on the first lift took out a chunk of plaster. I will get back to this thread in a couple of weeks and give you an update. I want to try it out for a month or two before painting and of course let the better half get used to it.

Ok so was this an easy build? Yes relatively. Follow Marks manual its well written and illustrated for novices like me.
Also thanks to Perth Pete and Kadijk for your excellent build photos. It helps with two people working together, total build time was ten days. The only proviso you must have plenty of clamps.
Cost for the structural grade plywood here in Aussie was $280.00 plus glue and trio 12 driver. Not sure of the cost of the lab12 in the US but definitely recommend building as your last subwoofer. Yes its huge, but buy your wife some flowers and then her favourite perfume, a new kitchen, lounge suite and an overseas holiday. You will not be disappointed.

Regards Rob.
post #50 of 90 Old 07-29-13, 12:18 PM
Senior Shackster

Doug

Thanks for sharing! We're painting the kids bunk beds this week. After that the next project up is my sub build and while I'm 100% certain it will take me more than 10 days, you've really got me excited about it again. I can't wait to hear your listening impressions once you've had it a good go with it! It might be just the thing I need to kick me in the butt and get things going again.

Theatre Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.