Ultimate Subwoofer - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #51 of 90 Old 07-29-13, 04:35 PM
Senior Shackster

My System
Good to see another horn born!! I've been thinking lately, it's bitter sweet in a way. I love to build and experiment, but with this sub, there's absolutely no need to. It's subwoofer perfection in my mind...cost effective, and absolutely house shaking. I'm close to putting doors on the room it's in, and can't wait to experience the room pressure it will generate. I guess that will be the next level of awesome)

Kadijk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 90 Old 07-29-13, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Mark

Re: Ultimate Subwoofer

My ever growing quest to destroy a persons perception of good bass.

It's taking me to long with this one at a time stuff.

But once you hear it you will never go back.

___________________________________________________________________________ ___________

Mark

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
post #53 of 90 Old 09-11-13, 09:00 AM
Senior Shackster

Doug

Rumor has it that today is Mark's birthday... Many happy returns, Mark!

Theatre Build:

post #54 of 90 Old 09-11-13, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Mark

Thanks Doug.

Older and wiser.

___________________________________________________________________________ ___________

Mark

post #55 of 90 Old 09-13-13, 07:30 PM

Ron

My System

I have some other projects to get done... But as soon as they are done, I want one! I am hoping to be ready early 2014 to start on this. Where do I get the plans for this bad boy?

tia,

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (5) JBL 8340As, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, Oppo UDP-203, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #56 of 90 Old 09-13-13, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Mark

You have a P.M.

Mark

post #57 of 90 Old 02-26-14, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Mark

Well show and tell time Gents.

How are the projects coming along?

Mark

post #58 of 90 Old 05-03-14, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Mark

Any news from the gents who are half way through their builds?

Those that have built. Initial impressions? Are you still regulatly blown away?

Itching to build a better subwoofer?

(Like that's possible) LOL

Mark

post #59 of 90 Old 07-02-14, 10:41 AM
Shackster

Just catching up on any new builds and I see that its 12 months since my build. Still standing in the lounge room at the back unpainted. Still excited as I was when we first fired it up. Movies are incredible, the Reckhorn A400 sub amp cuts off at 16hz and using between 60 to 80 watts shakes everything like an earthquake. It has punch, slam and makes some movies downright scary with explosions and deep bass. Movies that come to mind, Star Trek, Gravity, Elysium, Terminator, Saving Private Ryan, and many more. Any music that has bass can be heard clearly and undistorted and organ music, if that is your taste, will excite you right down to 16hz. Its hard to describe very low organ notes, except to say that it is an astounding experience feeling the sound rather than hearing it. The air seems to turn to jelly and your couch and body seem to pulsate along with the house. There are several tracks in Elysium that do the same for several seconds. Orchestral music becomes more dynamic and powerful bringing the feeling of a live experience to the room. Rock, heavy metal, disco, blues , and music dvd's all sound cleaner, if that's the right word. Undistorted bass notes seem to allow my main speakers to sound better. I have 6 other small subs, 4 12's and 2 10's from the retail world, in comparison they are muddy and distorted. I find it difficult to find the right words to describe accurately what this Sub can do for your system and of course we all hear and interpret music in different ways. However for me personally its beyond fantastic and will start another build for a second room shortly. If you are still unsure just do it you won't be sorry. Thanks again Mark for designing a brilliant subwoofer. Regards Rob
post #60 of 90 Old 07-02-14, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Mark

Quote:
Just catching up on any new builds and I see that its 12 months since my build. Still standing in the lounge room at the back unpainted. Still excited as I was when we first fired it up. Movies are incredible, the Reckhorn A400 sub amp cuts off at 16hz and using between 60 to 80 watts shakes everything like an earthquake. It has punch, slam and makes some movies downright scary with explosions and deep bass. Movies that come to mind, Star Trek, Gravity, Elysium, Terminator, Saving Private Ryan, and many more. Any music that has bass can be heard clearly and undistorted and organ music, if that is your taste, will excite you right down to 16hz. Its hard to describe very low organ notes, except to say that it is an astounding experience feeling the sound rather than hearing it. The air seems to turn to jelly and your couch and body seem to pulsate along with the house. There are several tracks in Elysium that do the same for several seconds. Orchestral music becomes more dynamic and powerful bringing the feeling of a live experience to the room. Rock, heavy metal, disco, blues , and music dvd's all sound cleaner, if that's the right word. Undistorted bass notes seem to allow my main speakers to sound better. I have 6 other small subs, 4 12's and 2 10's from the retail world, in comparison they are muddy and distorted. I find it difficult to find the right words to describe accurately what this Sub can do for your system and of course we all hear and interpret music in different ways. However for me personally its beyond fantastic and will start another build for a second room shortly. If you are still unsure just do it you won't be sorry. Thanks again Mark for designing a brilliant subwoofer. Regards Rob
I think you have a verified case of permagrin ( permanent smile ) !

So happy you have had success.

It was a real feat to design and make up the manual. And it was absolutely a shared effort with Bill Harms and Dan Finley.

And I am still plugging away at it from time to time. The driver choice has been updated. And some different arrangements have been created for different uses.

This is a design that will last the test of time.

Once you have built one of these you will stop looking for more.

Mark