Scott's Dual RL-p18 'LLT' twins finished - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 29 Old 09-24-07, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Scott

Re: Scott's Dual RL-p18 'LLT' twins finished

Im not too worried about port noise. Id have to run them at crazy levels and even then the range is so narrow I may never hear it. Ive tried playing plenty of <15hz content at loud levels (not quite MAX spl but loud. ) and I hear/feel nothing but bass, bass, bass. Oh, and the house creaks a fair bit.

Sometime I will add another amp, just for "headroom".

Right now Im having a real fuss with EQ'ing these things. I cant find one Im happy with. To tell you the truth, I hate EQ. It sucks the life out of the sound these produce. Seems like if I ever have to use more than one or two filters it gets like that. That or overly aggressive EQ. (At the end of my Tempest's career in my HT I had the BFD on bypass all the time.) And I need to do some aggressive EQ cause the response isnt very flat and the peak right next to a null area isnt helping things. Sometimes I just want to turn off the EQ but then I hear a slight ragged response that shows up worst in sweeps.

Dont really have the option of having a sub behind me cause I need access to the closet behind me. Its a real tough call in this house. Definitely not well suited for HT, performance-wise.

EDIT: Ive added the current 'Unibox' sims of this particular setup (on here and the last page on my AVS build as of today) for those interested in how the FR "translated" into in-room response. Also, sims show what kind of air-speed is going on at the typical max power these will ever see until I upgrade the amp sometime down the road...

Last edited by Scott S; 09-24-07 at 06:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 Old 09-24-07, 10:09 PM
Senior Shackster
Will

Send a message via AIM to WillyD Send a message via Skype™ to WillyD

Quote:
Right now Im having a real fuss with EQ'ing these things. I cant find one Im happy with. To tell you the truth, I hate EQ. It sucks the life out of the sound these produce. Seems like if I ever have to use more than one or two filters it gets like that. That or overly aggressive EQ. (At the end of my Tempest's career in my HT I had the BFD on bypass all the time.) And I need to do some aggressive EQ cause the response isnt very flat and the peak right next to a null area isnt helping things. Sometimes I just want to turn off the EQ but then I hear a slight ragged response that shows up worst in sweeps.
Given thought to some economical DIY bass traps?
post #13 of 29 Old 09-24-07, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Scott

Quote:
Given thought to some economical DIY bass traps?
Oh sure, absolutely! I want to make some small panels for the walls to control some reflectivity in the room too. Im sure my 9' ceiling is causing all sorts of problems with the overall FR in the room. Its just not been a high priority for the time being.

Im still going to try some other orientations for the subs. I need to purchase an extra spool of heavier gauge speaker wire as I have run out. So for now, Im stuck with the position they are in.

As for bass traps...Im not sure where they will go. Do I stack some on top of the subs (since they are in the front corners? Or do I just add some to the rear of the room? Not too sure about all that but it has been a thought.

Any particular ideas, Will?

post #14 of 29 Old 10-06-07, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Scott

New pic! This is how they sit now.

post #15 of 29 Old 10-16-07, 09:26 PM
myn
Senior Shackster
myn

That looks really sharp. Nice work
post #16 of 29 Old 10-18-07, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Scott

Thank you very much!

I need to take a newer pic of the setup as I have pulled the face of each sub about a half foot away from the walls. Sounds even better now. It looks about the same as it does in that pic above, just picture the far left and right being pulled a little closer to the outer edge of each main. The woofers were about 2-3 inches away from the wall now they are about 8-10 inches away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #17 of 29 Old 11-30-07, 04:08 PM
Senior Shackster

The Dave

Send a message via AIM to Avus_M3

You ready for me to check it out? Hehe

- The Dave

(DONE) King of the 400lb Gorilla
post #18 of 29 Old 12-03-07, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Scott

Heheh, sure thing Dave. You coming down this way soon? Ill put in my typical demos.

Thank goodness I have them Blu-ray/HD-DVD players now. Boy, do they sound good.

post #19 of 29 Old 04-23-08, 05:03 PM
Senior Shackster
jagman

Scott... looks nice !!! So, the drivers and ports fire into the corners? Isn't that kind of like a slot port? No wonder the house shakes . I bet the deep LFE movies are loads of fun.

EDIT: I know your SO is easy going... but the new layout looks much better. As huge as the boxes are, they are much less intrusive as you now have them. Of course it's even more important that the frequency response is better , but it's nice when things line up as they have for you.
post #20 of 29 Old 04-23-08, 05:09 PM
Senior Shackster
jagman

Ohh yeah... have you knocked over your "equipment rack" on the right yet? I can imagine the woofer and port behind it generating enough wind to blow it over !! Instead of the leaning tower of Piza, you'll have the leaning tower of Scott.