Scott's Dual RL-p18 'LLT' twins finished - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 29 Old 04-24-08, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Scott

Re: Scott's Dual RL-p18 'LLT' twins finished

Ahahah! Nah, not yet. Even though all that stuff is sitting on a cardboard box, it is quite sturdy. Been holding up over the years and recently, some serious woofage.

For a little while I did have the woofers and ports firing into the corners. For the past month or so, I have had them reversed so they now fire at each other directly behind the tv. Still sounds good. Makes the tv buzz (ugh, need front projector) but it sounds pretty good. Totally rocked out to Cloverfield yesterday. I should do a new frequency plot though.

Oh wow. They are big aren't they? Heheh. The "cool factor" has dropped a bit having them how they are now but I do agree that they are much less intrusive. In fact, just having them as a "normal" appliance in my HT...I forgot I have them sometimes.

EDIT: Oh, they way they look in the pic above is pretty accurate. Though, shortly after taking that pic I pulled the face of the subs (with the woofer and driver. Erm, baffle I mean.) away from the side walls so they weren't as close as it looks in the picture. For a little while, yes but I heard what sounded like air turbulence. Not the typical compression from a port but all the air around the woofer seemed to be ...well, compressed but only during loud bassy moments. After a few hours I pulled them each about a foot away from their respective walls. Ran them like that for a month. Then twisted one of them so one was behind the tv and the other still fired into the wall. Now they both are twisted towards each other and fire behind the tv. Haven't run REW for a while. Probably a good time for me to do that now.

All in all it is a great system. May need another amp at some point though I don't believe my house will supply the power anyway. Ugh. Its nice having one of the biggest dual woofer box system around though. Most forum users opt for a sonotube.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Scott S; 04-24-08 at 01:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 Old 04-25-08, 06:24 AM
Platform

What mains and surrounds are those ?
post #23 of 29 Old 04-25-08, 09:54 AM
Elite Shackster

mdrake

You must have one NICE wife to let you put all that gear in her house.
You know a false wall with a projection screen on it to hide the subs and window would be COOL.

Matt

post #24 of 29 Old 04-25-08, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Scott

Platform - the mains are a kit from Adire Audio (no longer with us ). Kit281 is what they called it. And the center is also from Adire. It is the 'original' LCC or Large Center Channel. They perform very well. Wish I got more kits from them to use as surround though I never did. Now they are all discontinued. My surrounds, which arent pictured on this site, are floorstanding KLH speakers. I dont really like them but its all Ive got for the moment.

Yeah, she is great! I have been very fortunate. I plan on getting a front projection system setup this summer. Not sure how big of a screen I will have just yet. Somewhere in the 80-100" range. Hehehe...thats a pretty big range but its my first FP setup and I dont know how big to go. May start really big and then work my way down. The screen thats there now is a 55" 4:3 rptv and going up to a 100" 16:9 would be quite a difference! Depending on how all that goes I may hang a giant black curtain to hide everything else up front. We'll see how all that goes this summer.

post #25 of 29 Old 07-16-08, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Scott

Thumbs up Re: Scott's Dual RL-p18 'LLT' twins finished

Got some new (better) pictures of my new setup. Enjoy! 8)

As you walk in...

...and then you site down.

Both of those were overexposed for detail.

Next is a closeup of my simple equipment.

A second pair of new surrounds and acoustic treatment are on my adgenda now. Keeping the evolution of this theater moving.

post #26 of 29 Old 07-16-08, 03:06 AM
Senior Shackster
jagman

Lookin' good!!! How big is your screen?

Your next goal should be to hide those pesky cables , and the best cheap mod for a front projector... paint the walls and ceiling dark! Go with your better half and let her choose the colors... but be sure the are dark. Also have her choose the color of new window coverings... if you (or she) sews them, they can also be cheap but really improve the look of the room and the quality of the picture. Of course the other main thing is passive acoustic room treatments. I made a ton of them for my room and they make a huge improvement in sound quality. I'd say the only thing more important than good acoustics are good speakers, and if you make your own treatments they can be downright cheap.
post #27 of 29 Old 07-16-08, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Scott

Thank you! It's 100" diagonally.

The cables aren't too big of an issue at the moment. It's only because I have to use analog outs from my HD decks (with a audio switcher) that it is such a MESS behind the equipment. The cables in the back of the room aren't really noticed at all. But these things will be even cleaner soon.

After I get my car's windows tinted, I will be lining the majority of the walls with homemade acoustic treatment. All wrapped in black cloth to bring the reflectivity of the light from the walls down. All the side walls will have treatment and the upper side walls and ceiling will even get treatment too. All that is probably a month or two off from now though.

post #28 of 29 Old 07-16-08, 02:50 PM
Senior Shackster
jagman

Awesome . You'll really notice the difference. Both are relatively inexpensive ways to have a dramatic effect on visual and acoustic performance. A bit of warning from someone who did this already... be prepared for it to take a long time to do the work. It's worth every penny and fun, but it is labor intense.
post #29 of 29 Old 02-16-12, 03:27 PM
Shackster
Z

Love IT! Need to go the projection route some day! Those subs are gorgeous!