Scott's Dual RL-p18 'LLT' twins finished - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 29 Old 09-21-07, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Scott

Scott's Dual RL-p18 'LLT' twins finished

Hey all. This is for all you Home Theater Shack folks...

Build Thread : http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=845994

Design: EBS/LLT vented tuned to 11hz
Enclosure: ~25cu ft each (725 liters each) 24"wide, 45" tall", 50.5" deep
Driver(s): Sound Splinter RLp-18d4 (one per cab)
Amp: Behringer EP2500 (bridged mode)
EQ: Behringer BFD 1124p
Total cost: $750 for drivers, $350 for amp, $1-200 for everything else
About $1200-1300 total (inlcuding shipping)

UNIBOX sims...

Now, they arent stacked on the side anymore. The FR @ the listening position wasnt so good compared to how I have them now. They are now turning 90 degress each firing into the two front corners. Much better FR now. Ill post the oldest FR (stacked) and the newest FR (corners) so you get an idea of how much it changed.

Old FR (stacked)

Newest FR (corners)

Even newer FR (as of 10/02/2007)

These will continue to be updated as the weeks continue. Ill have to remember to drop by this thread for an update or two. There are plenty of listening impressions on my build thread. If you would like to skip to when I actually finish them, its on page 6. Everything after that is plenty of impression from me.

Simply put, they are bad!

I didnt noticed if there was a DIY showcase thread or anything like that around here so I figured I would start a thread about it. Since its finished we can just discuss them and not try and pry around on how to build them...cause I did that already.

Lemme know what you guys think.

Last edited by Scott S; 01-23-09 at 08:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 09-21-07, 01:07 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: Scott's Dual RL-p18 'LLT' twins finished

I moved this to the SoundSplinter forum...

Nice build Scott... and really nice extension!

So you moved them from being co-located to being symmetrically placed in your front corners and that improved your response. If you wanna try to get rid of that 40-60Hz trough... experiment with crossing over one of the units between 50-60Hz. I ended up having to move one of mine to the rear of the room and cross it over at 60Hz before I could get rid of a similar trough I had.
post #3 of 29 Old 09-21-07, 01:07 PM
Elite Shackster

David

Quote:
Scott S wrote: View Post
..Hey all. This is for all you Home Theater Shack folks...Lemme know what you guys think.
Looks good ....

Now, I think you need a bigger TV ...

post #4 of 29 Old 09-21-07, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Scott

Quote:
I moved this to the SoundSplinter forum...
Thanks, Sonnie! I sorta glanced over the SS forum for some odd reason and thought they would just go in the sealed/vented forum. Thanks for moving me to the right place.

Quote:
Nice build Scott... and really nice extension!
Oh, yeah! In-room into the upper single digits? Ahahah! Just what I wanted....

Quote:
So you moved them from being co-located to being symmetrically placed in your front corners and that improved your response. If you wanna try to get rid of that 40-60Hz trough... experiment with crossing over one of the units between 50-60Hz. I ended up having to move one of mine to the rear of the room and cross it over at 60Hz before I could get rid of a similar trough I had.
Yep, went through that whole process that past month. Ended up with X-over for mains and LFE @ 60hz to clear up the rough area in the 50s-60s. Its the best FR I could get so far. Tried all sorts of xovers and such but nothing looked better than how they are now. They sound wicked!

Quote:
Now, I think you need a bigger TV ...
Ahahaha! Tell me about. This is next to a 55" Hitachi RPTV but it looks so small next to them. I would like to get a 65"-73" Mitsubishi 1080p someday. Ahhh, someday.

Last edited by Scott S; 09-21-07 at 01:25 PM.
post #5 of 29 Old 09-21-07, 02:39 PM
Senior Shackster

Bob_99

Quote:
Oh, yeah! In-room into the upper single digits? Ahahah! Just what I wanted....
Seriously, do the windows and walls show any signs of stress?

Bob

"There is always hope, even if it is just a fool's hope."
post #6 of 29 Old 09-22-07, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Scott

Quote:
Seriously, do the windows and walls show any signs of stress?
Most certainly. I can make this whole end of the house quake real good. Eh, honestly...Im still taking it a bit easy on "max SPL". When I changed the sensitivity on my BFD to "pro mode" (+4dB) I got all the headroom I needed outta these bad boys. It hit me whilst watching the EE of LotR:FotR. When Gandalf uses his special voice thingy when Boromir goes for the ring ...the BFD lit up like a Xmas tree and had to back down the MV about 5dB....it was too easy to clip the signal. Not once have I clipped or come close to clipping the amps. As far as I know, there has been ZERO distortion outta these bad boys. I dont think there ever will. I purposely over-engineered this alignment. Its almost impossible to create port chuffing with the low tune of 11hz. It would take >600w per woofer to get the port speed up high enough to chuff and thats only between 7-12hz so I say Im good in that case. Dunno if suspension distortion has been created here yet. I couldnt tell. The SPL is so high that I may never hear such a thing. Seems quite easy to hear bad bass from good which I think is a good sign of the SQ here. Awesome. Totally awesome.

I need to play the DTS copy of the Haunting again...I havent since they were stacked. That has got to be the one that still scares me to playback. Wotw is nuts but the Haunting scares me. Not that the movie is scary but I fear for the integrity of the house when I play that one....and now its very capable of going louder than I had it. Goodtimes. Titan A.E. scared the out of me the other day. Earth blowing up and the ice field sequence are pure house crumbling goodness.

I can go on and on....

EDIT: Bah! I couldnt edit my stuff without crapping out words next to them. Ahhh, its late. I ment to say that with >600w is just barely get to the point of chuffing. 30-32m/s is the typical area where an 6" or smaller port will chuff. Since these are 8" that point is supposed to be more like 36m/s so Im pretty good with putting about 1000w into these. I start to use up the rated Xmax with about 800w but will never hit the mechanical limits of these unless I put more than 1000w them or run them that hard below tuning. Either way, this is a very safe setup with almost zero chance of over driving them. Like I said, completely over engineered. Maybe another amp so there is one for each woofer...ah, that would be nice. Oh, and another pair of these wouldnt hurt either. Im a little crazy.

Last edited by Scott S; 09-22-07 at 04:02 AM.
post #7 of 29 Old 09-22-07, 04:30 AM
Senior Shackster
terry

not much chance of hiding them from the missus eh! Can the mains keep up?? They are totally DWARFED man!

Do you run a house curve there??

I can see from your comments that you are stoked with them, well done. (ha ha, wonder what commercial sub can keep up with them??)
post #8 of 29 Old 09-22-07, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Scott

Quote:
not much chance of hiding them from the missus eh!
Eh, she's the understanding type. She really thinks its a wonderful project. Gotta love this woman.

Quote:
Can the mains keep up?? They are totally DWARFED man!
I haven't a problem yet. Haven't listened to too much music yet but with movies they are just fine. At some point I will be getting amps for the center and mains but at this point I have other things to purchase. (ticket to australia of all places. )

Quote:
Do you run a house curve there??
Not really, its just plain ol' room gain coming in here. Only use the EQ to tame those nasty peaks.

Quote:
ha ha, wonder what commercial sub can keep up with them??
None. Absolutely zero commercial subs can touch this performance. That was the whole point. Even a Krell Master Reference ($28,000) couldnt touch these. But then again, no commercial subs are ever this big.

Quote:
can see from your comments that you are stoked with them, well done.
Thank you very much for the compliment. They are very wicked subs.
post #9 of 29 Old 09-22-07, 07:28 AM
Senior Shackster
terry

Quote:
Eh, she's the understanding type. She really thinks its a wonderful project. Gotta love this woman.
i'M LUCKY TOO, A ROOM FOR MYSELF AND i CAN DO WHAT I WANT! (sorry about caps)

Quote:
at this point I have other things to purchase. (ticket to australia of all places. )
not sure how far you'll wander over here, but look me up if you get out this way, free beds for fellow shack members ha ha!!

Quote:
None. Absolutely zero commercial subs can touch this performance. That was the whole point. Even a Krell Master Reference ($28,000) couldnt touch these. But then again, no commercial subs are ever this big.
you are correct about the size, but I suspect you are even MORE correct about the performance.
post #10 of 29 Old 09-23-07, 06:39 AM
Elite Shackster

Ahmed

Send a message via MSN to Blaser

Well done Scott, Congratulations!!

I suggest that in the future you add a second amp... Forget completely about port noise or air speed. On program material you will never even be close to shuffing these monsters at 11 Hz (that is unthinkable)...BTW, I cannot shuff mine on program materials with 2000 W (on say WOTW), hit 125 db/box and nime are tuned 13.5 Hz....

Great job, enjoy!!

ASME AI
Yamaha RX-V2500, Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 Fronts, Wharfedale Diamond CM Center, Diamond DFS Surround and rear, Behringer FBQ 2496, Dual RL-P18s 625L LLTs, Dual TA-2400 Pro (2 * 2000 W Amp), Samsung HD870 DVD player, Carada BW 16:9 106" screen, Epson TW-2000, 60 Gb PS3
Important HT proverbs:
- "You can never have too much headroom" (talking about bass)
- "you can never have too big a screen" (talking about still pictures)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.