Monkey see, monkey do... two RL-P18s for me too! - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 151 Old 10-07-07, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Bradley

Re: Monkey see, monkey do... two RL-P18s for me too!

You mean wrap the port with whatever I line the box with? Seems like people are using fibreglass mostly, or in some cases foam sheets. Would something visco-elastic like Dynamat work well?

Last edited by Bradley; 10-07-07 at 11:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 151 Old 10-07-07, 01:37 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

When you determine your final enclosure volume, you will need to re-simulate the design, as 8.25" diameter ports will need to be longer than 8" ports for the same tune.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #23 of 151 Old 10-07-07, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Bradley

Right-o. I've already considered that. Looks like they are closer to 8.375 inches I.D., although it is a little tricky to measure because the tubes are not perfectly round. I may take these Sakrete tubes back and hunt for some genuine Sonotube.

Part of my plan to determine net volume is to weigh each piece of internal bracing and calculate the volume based on its known (measured & verified) density. Unfortunately, I think the bracing is going to eat up a lot of volume, which would require a longer port length at the same tune. Only so much I can do about it right now as I'm already committed to the external dimensions of 26H x 30D x 49W. Net volume may be as low as 17 ft^3 and port length may wind up being around 35" for a 14.5 Hz tune.

Off to assemble the table saw...

Bradley

Last edited by Bradley; 10-08-07 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Typo.

post #24 of 151 Old 10-09-07, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Bradley

Been mucking around with Google Sketchup. Confusing at first, but slowly getting the hang of it. A concern I have now is how close the 8" port tube is to the rear wall and also to the driver. There is just no way to keep it one port diameter away from those other surfaces. Is this anything I should even concern myself with? At the end of the port inside the cabinet there is more than one port diameter "in front" of the port.

Last edited by Bradley; 10-09-07 at 09:36 PM.
post #25 of 151 Old 10-09-07, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Bradley

Also, I had a scare last night about the net/working volume. I thought I had horribly underestimated the volume that the bracing will take up. I knew it would be more than what Collo's Boxnotes program estimates but wasn't sure how much more. Finally, I decided to write a VB script to calculate the net box volume, with reasonable approximations for the number and style of braces being. For the sake of this estimation, the style of brace is simply a rectangular panel that matches the internal dimensions of the box with a LARGE circle taken out of it.

If anyone is interested in having a look at the script, you can see it here.
post #26 of 151 Old 10-09-07, 05:43 PM
Senior Shackster

Mongrel

Quote:
Bradley wrote: View Post
You mean wrap the port with whatever I line the box with? Seems like people are using fibreglass mostly, or in some cases foam sheets. Would something visco-elastic like Dynamat work well?
I'm not to sure about the dynamat, that is mostly for deadning troublesome vibrating panels, you need something like fiberglass, I used some 1" thick "batting" I picked up at an upholstery shop, better than fiberglass and no itching.

post #27 of 151 Old 10-09-07, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Bradley

Yeah, I didn't think so. I was just wondering since I have a bunch of dynamat-like material somewhere in my garage, new in the box.
post #28 of 151 Old 10-10-07, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Bradley

Totally out of control over here! Not done and not really happy with the braces. But here's what I've got "sketched up" so far:

Again, this is just a rough draft and work in progress. However, if I'm lucky the port will terminate in that third brace. Both ends are going to get the mondo 1.5" radius flare.
post #29 of 151 Old 10-10-07, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Bradley

Here's the latest draft.

I think the only thing left to do is add some donut support rings for the port tube. I'm not going to bother trying to model the flares or rounded edges.

The smaller holes, or "swiss cheese", aren't really necessary. I'm just a little worried about coming in at 17.0 cubic feet (or higher) as planned. I'll need to add up the volume of all the bracing and port tube once the "ink" has dried on the design.
post #30 of 151 Old 10-11-07, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Bradley

Came up shy on the net volume inside the box, so I've had to make revisions. The side-to-side braces in the middle (just behind the driver) were retarded anyway, so I got rid of them.

By the way, I ditched the VB script in favor of an Excel spreadsheet to calcuate the volume using surface area measures taken from the Google Sketchup drawing. All the files I'm using are on my web server if anyone wants to check them out, including the Sketchup drawing.

http://s16v.com/subwoofer

Bradley