Large H/T Subwoofer system - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 18 Old 10-06-07, 07:01 PM
Senior Shackster

Warmon

Re: Large H/T Subwoofer system

Quote:
95Honda wrote: View Post
One of the reasons the Aura 18 sounds so good is it has an underhung coil, probably the best motor topolog in my opinion, it just gets real hard and expensive to use with super high stroke drivers. The gap for a sub like the XXX would have to be over 4" long..... That would be alot of steel and a very powerfull magnetic source to keep it full of flux, I think the Aura kind of pushes those limits, that is why they are $1000 each.... And have been for some time...
Interesting. Do you know anything about the Sonicraft SC12NRT with the Aurusound NRT motors that Madisound is selling? At $129, you'd think they would be a hellavu deal...

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=428

Warmon -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 10-07-07, 02:17 AM
95Honda
Inactive

I honestly have never played with one, or looked real close either. Could be real nice though....
post #13 of 18 Old 10-07-07, 12:50 PM
95Honda
Inactive

More construction pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Large H/T Subwoofer system-2.jpg  

Large H/T Subwoofer system-3.jpg  

Attachments

post #14 of 18 Old 10-09-07, 01:01 PM
Senior Shackster

Very nice work.
I always wanted to try building an enclosure with slot ports...

If you don't have a BFD for your sub, get one fast!
If you don't have REW, get it now!
post #15 of 18 Old 10-26-07, 11:07 AM
Iggster1986
Inactive

Any pictures of the whole theater?
post #16 of 18 Old 10-26-07, 02:58 PM
95Honda
Inactive

Quick picture from behind the rack/ I ended up using 3 racks. Processing is the Outalw 990(?) I can't remember the model # but it was thier $1000 one that had balanced ouputs... Center channel on the stage is a pair of JBL 2-ways with dual 15s, that array was fed by a bridged Crown CE4000 (4000 WRMS) the mains were a pair of the same speakers again, fed by another CE4000. Side surrounds were 2 pairs of JBL monitors, 12" 2 ways, fed by a 1000 watt Carver proaudio amp, and 4 more monitors for the rears fed by another 1000 watt carver. The subs acted like stands for the mains, each sub cabinet had a dedicated 3000 watt QSC PLX amp. There is also a Mackie 16 channel mixer and 3 wireless sure mics for other uses of the system. Video was the Eike (Sp?) Powerhouse, a monster projector that weighed a ton and was ridiculously expensive, but it lit up that huge screen pretty well. DVD was the source, can't remember the exact one..... I am sure I left a bunch of stuff out, but you get the picture anyway...
Attached Thumbnails
Large H/T Subwoofer system-ht.jpg  

post #17 of 18 Old 10-27-07, 09:15 AM
Senior Shackster
vinculum

Quote:
95Honda wrote: View Post
Well, I'm new here so I figured I would post one of my recent subwoofer builds. I built a pair of large (16ft3 IIRC) cabinets tuned at about 20Hz with a pair of Aura NRT 18-8 subwoofers in each cabinet. They were fed about 3KW each and had a very strong low end. Here is also a link to the build up, I couldn't post pictures directly from this computer.

My current home theater system uses a pair of XXX18 drivers in large ported boxes also, with around 5KW of power...
Nice build! I love that NRT 18-8. Expensive, but virtually bulletproof.

I find it interesting that you are using 2 NRT18-8's in 16ft tuned to 20Hz. I was modeling a single driver last week and it appeared to me that it liked atleast 20ft for a SINGLE driver tuned around 20Hz. Maybe I'll try a different program. Or else throw modeling out the window and just build some boxes!

Dr V
post #18 of 18 Old 10-27-07, 09:31 AM
95Honda
Inactive

I have no doubt that a larger box will give a more low end with that driver, I kind of ran into space/weight issues. These still had to be portable, somewhat, they are on a stage. 8ft3 per driver seemed a good compromise to me, efficency wasn't a real big issue, I had plenty of power also...