8' Tall Stereo Integrity Tapped Horn Sub HT15D2.... - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 28 Old 01-11-14, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Re: 8' Tall Stereo Integrity Tapped Horn Sub HT15D2....

I have the subwoofer on casters. At 240 lbs the whole sub will move at high power. You're kidding about the foam right?

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 Old 01-12-14, 01:22 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

I know he has built quite a few speaker cabinets and designs out of foam. I think I remember his SH was a foam model on the inside also.

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.
post #23 of 28 Old 01-14-14, 03:56 PM
Shackster

Tapped Horn (TH) = positive flare, high sensitivity, narrow range, big enclosure, SPL.

Tapped Quarter Wave Pipe (TQWP or TQWT) = straight flare, mid sensitivity, mid range, mid enclosure, EASY build.

Tapped Tapered Quarter Wave Tube (T-TQWT or T-TQWP) = negative flare, low sensitivity, wide range, small enclosure, SQ.

"You can have low end extension, high efficiency, or small enclosure size. Pick two."

Last edited by BP1Fanatic; 01-14-14 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Adding Hoffman's Iron Law!

post #24 of 28 Old 09-24-15, 02:22 PM
Senior Shackster
Bubba

Am I missing something here? I know horns are a little more efficient, but 135-140 dB from only one 15?!?!
post #25 of 28 Old 10-11-15, 01:17 PM
GPM
Senior Shackster

GM

He used HR's [~infinite] corner [0.5pi] loading, which adds a theoretical 12 dB ref. to 2 pi, a gain that you won't get down low in any typical HIFI, HT room. HR's 1.0 pi is much closer to what you might get corner loaded in a heavily constructed house like is required in northern climes.

GM

Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
post #26 of 28 Old 10-11-15, 01:33 PM
GPM
Senior Shackster

GM

Quote:
16hz lover wrote: View Post
Awesome build, thanks for all the pics, looks great. Hard to beat the SI woofers, just need to get more people to realize how good they really are.
+1

So it seems; a quickie sim for a ~15 Hz TH yields all the SPL my flimsy house can safely handle in <300 L net corner loaded/500 W/16 Hz:

GM
Attached Thumbnails
8' Tall Stereo Integrity Tapped Horn Sub HT15D2....-stereo-integrity-ht15d2-15-hz-dts-small-.gif  

Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
post #27 of 28 Old 01-28-17, 11:02 PM
Shackster

Quote:
SpeakerScott wrote: View Post
In the spirit of "more is better" and "too much is not enough" I built a tapped horn out of a Stereo Integrity HT15D2.

In testing, at 30Hz in the garage I stopped at roughly 14 watts of the 1400 available because I thought the garage door was coming off the rollers.

Scott
Nice build. I just printed it out for mine. Would you make any changes? seems straight forward. I wanted the mouth moved to the end, lying down flat. Haven't mastered hornresp yet so unsure if that is good or bad.
post #28 of 28 Old 01-31-17, 09:08 AM
Shackster

Toffkanda

"I wanted the mouth moved to the end, lying down flat. Haven't mastered hornresp yet so unsure if that is good or bad"

I might know the answer to that one; makes little difference as long as the mouth exit has the same surface area and the sub mouth is at the same spot in the room.
The design shows off the driver beautifully and the available spl is stupefying . Different strokes for different folks though, l would have added another fold and sacrificed some of that generous spl for relatively more pronounced infrasonics may be down to 16.
Devil is in the fold though.

No man, however humble is prepared to apologize for his existence on this planet.

Last edited by Toffkanda; 01-31-17 at 10:28 AM.