Fi Audio SSD12 Build Project - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 27 Old 12-03-07, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Matt

Re: Well...I'm at it again!!!

Flat black latex paint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 Old 12-03-07, 12:29 PM
Elite Shackster

Josh

Nice job! That is a good looking sub.
post #13 of 27 Old 12-05-07, 08:03 PM
Senior Shackster
Fi Audio

Good looking setup. Please keep us posted as to how it sounds when you get everything together.

Thanks,
Scott

post #14 of 27 Old 12-05-07, 11:01 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

I am terribly impressed matt... that thing looks good... great job.
post #15 of 27 Old 12-10-07, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Matt

I'm going to wait until I get my new sound card for my computer to dial this thing in. In the mean time, here are some new pics with the new speakers. Sorry for the bad stich job, but you get the idea. The speakers are all Polk Audio.

post #16 of 27 Old 12-10-07, 06:14 PM
Senior Shackster

Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Crunch Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Crunch

I really like the design ..........and it looks great! A++

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #17 of 27 Old 12-15-07, 09:14 AM
Senior Shackster

Geoff

Another great looking subwoofer Matt! I'm very interested to see any measurements you take.
post #18 of 27 Old 12-16-07, 04:59 PM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

Matt, really nice work! I especially like the angled ports with internal AND external flares. Seems like your design is a killer space saver for people with TVs located in the corner. It must also be fun to watch people look around trying to figure out where the bass is coming from! Can't wait to hear how it sounds.

- OJ -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #19 of 27 Old 12-18-07, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Matt

The question was asked of me in a PM about how I connected the flares to the PVC tubing for my ports. The explanation is longwinded, but I hope it is clear enough to help.

It was a bit tricky and I would look for a better way if I had to do it again. Hopefully, this will give you a starting point to improve upon. All of the white parts are PVC. The black flares are from Precision Sound Products purchased through ThrillerAudio.com. As you can imagine, these parts are not made to fit together. We could not figure out a good combination of PVC parts and Precision Sound parts to make a tight fit that could be glued with just PVC cement.

We tried layering the Precision Rings and we tried routing the inside and outside of PVC tube, but nothing really worked. The ideal solution would be to build up the OD of the Precision port to fit the inside of a PVC Union. Here is what we came up with.

We started by cutting a Precision Connecting Ring around its circumference so that it was half as long. We then glued the ring to the end of the flare.

Next we glued a PVC Union to the end of the PVC Tube. We inserted a cardboard tube into the PVC tube as shown. If you don't have a cardboard tube that is the correct OD, you can take one that is a little bigger and cut a lengthwise strip out so that it will collapse down to the correct OD. Actually, you could use pretty much any material, so you might find another piece of PVC the right OD.

Next we filled the cavity with adhesive. We used a water based construction adhesive from Home Depot. Regular Liquid Nails would work extremely well, but cleanup would be a PITA.

Next, insert the port into the adhesive filled cavity. There will be a lot of adhesive squeeze out. This is where the water based adhesive really pays off.

Finally, pull the cardboard tube out of the center and clean all the excess adhesive. Do this before it starts to dry or the inside of your ports will look terrible. Be careful though, because once that tube is out, there is nothing holding the port in the center of the PVC Union except the adhesive. The adhesive does provide quite a bit of support though.

Let it dry over night and the next day you will have a quality flared port on the end of your PVC tube. Good Luck!!!

Last edited by hddummy; 12-18-07 at 11:58 AM.
post #20 of 27 Old 01-27-08, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Matt

Finally had time to go and measure the response of this sub. I am definately pleased. The amp has an adjustable subsonic filter. These three curves are near field measurements with the filter set at 12Hz, 16Hz and 20 Hz.