Doug's dual GJALLARHORN build - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 100 Old 11-19-13, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
doug
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,255
My System
Re: Doug's dual GJALLARHORN build

Quote:
chrapladm wrote: View Post
Do you know of anyone who has built the dual 15 version yet?
I haven't seen anyone actually build one. Lots of talk and then they usually go with the UXL or LMSU, and more often than not, go with something easier, cheaper, and smaller. The G-horn sounds like a great idea looking at the performance on paper, then reality sets in when trying to figure out where to put it, how much it costs to make and load it, eq it, and power it.

Quote:
eecyclone wrote: View Post
Your thread makes me want to build one of these for myself. Yeah, I know... Just one.
Do it! One should be plenty if well placed. I built two because my room is the black hole of bass.
dougc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 100 Old 11-19-13, 12:43 PM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Omaha
Posts: 32
My System
Re: Doug's dual GJALLARHORN build

Quote:
dougc wrote: View Post
I haven't seen anyone actually build one. Lots of talk and then they usually go with the UXL or LMSU, and more often than not, go with something easier, cheaper, and smaller. The G-horn sounds like a great idea looking at the performance on paper, then reality sets in when trying to figure out where to put it, how much it costs to make and load it, eq it, and power it.



Do it! One should be plenty if well placed. I built two because my room is the black hole of bass.
As much as I'd like to, I don't think I could fit it in my room. I'll probably go with something easier, cheaper, and smaller.
eecyclone is offline  
post #63 of 100 Old 11-22-13, 06:13 PM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kansas city area
Posts: 15
Re: Doug's dual GJALLARHORN build

Amazing souding subs, my eye balls were shaking during some test runs , strong work Doug.
Novice_01 is offline  
 
post #64 of 100 Old 11-22-13, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
doug
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,255
My System
Re: Doug's dual GJALLARHORN build

That's no joke - our vision was literally impaired. The 2nd Gjallarhorn is a successfully working beast. Several of the KC Crew came over today and we watched some clips, listened to some music, and enjoyed the new subs. The scene from pulse was a favorite. The only room for the other horn is right up against the end of the main couch, and talk about the tactile feel! Too bad they have to be tucked neatly away into the attic. Hopefully they make the floor bounce as well when they are in their final resting place.
dougc is offline  
post #65 of 100 Old 11-23-13, 06:49 AM
HTS Moderator
 
ALMFamily's Avatar
Joe
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 7,209
My System
Re: Doug's dual GJALLARHORN build

Quote:
dougc wrote: View Post
That's no joke - our vision was literally impaired. The 2nd Gjallarhorn is a successfully working beast. Several of the KC Crew came over today and we watched some clips, listened to some music, and enjoyed the new subs. The scene from pulse was a favorite. The only room for the other horn is right up against the end of the main couch, and talk about the tactile feel! Too bad they have to be tucked neatly away into the attic. Hopefully they make the floor bounce as well when they are in their final resting place.
Really well done here Doug - and I envy you guys in the KC area. You have a really good sized HT crew down that way for GTGs...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
ALMFamily is offline  
post #66 of 100 Old 12-15-13, 12:37 AM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 42
Re: Doug's dual GJALLARHORN build

Any updates?
JimAckley is offline  
post #67 of 100 Old 12-15-13, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
doug
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,255
My System
Re: Doug's dual GJALLARHORN build

Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post
Really well done here Doug - and I envy you guys in the KC area. You have a really good sized HT crew down that way for GTGs...
Thanks Joe! I am just realizing how many HT and audio nuts we have close together. Great bunch of guys, and smart ones. I'm the dummy of the group as usual! We are trying to get some things together soon.

Quote:
JimAckley wrote: View Post
Any updates?
Jim - I am tearing out the main wall in my family room tomorrow and adding some bigger, longer headers to the opening (not in that order). After that, the horns go to the attic for measurement for the best placement. Right now I have one of the horns set up in a makeshift TV room that I made out of our dining room. The G-Horn is used as the "coffee table" between the couch and TV and makes for serious nearfield sub. It only needs about 20% of the power compared to the level before at that range.
dougc is offline  
post #68 of 100 Old 12-15-13, 09:29 PM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 42
I was actually debating using it in a coffee table like manner or with a pair of PRs. Either way, my theater still has a lot of growing to do before the LMS gets to join the bunch. I've really enjoyed reading your build though!
JimAckley is offline  
post #69 of 100 Old 12-16-13, 03:18 PM
Elite Shackster
 
Owen Bartley's Avatar
OJ
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 2,074
My System
Doug, any structural concerns about the horns living in the attic? Not that they'd blow the roof off if ported into the theatre, but other superficial rattles, vents, wiring, etc.?

- OJ -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Owen Bartley is offline  
post #70 of 100 Old 12-16-13, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
doug
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,255
My System
Re: Doug's dual GJALLARHORN build

Quote:
JimAckley wrote: View Post
I was actually debating using it in a coffee table like manner or with a pair of PRs. Either way, my theater still has a lot of growing to do before the LMS gets to join the bunch. I've really enjoyed reading your build though!
That would be awesome. Nearfield bass is an experience.

Quote:
Owen Bartley wrote: View Post
Doug, any structural concerns about the horns living in the attic? Not that they'd blow the roof off if ported into the theatre, but other superficial rattles, vents, wiring, etc.?
Nah. The enclosure has little or no vibrations. I will cut some rubber floor mats into strips to line the framing for the boxes. The violence out of the horn mouth causes some serious noise in the room and I will have to be creative with padding things since this is a general use space. Right now one of them shakes all of the glassware in the kitchen cabinets to the middle and they rattle. I will put some rubber shelf liner to keep them in their place.
dougc is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
build , doug , dual , gjallarhorn

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now




PLEASE COMPLETE ALL REQUIRED FIELDS BELOW... THANKS!

REQUIRED FIELDS ON THIS PAGE
YOU MUST COMPLETE ALL OF THESE

Username
Password
Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2




User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
PLEASE READ BELOW PRIOR TO ENTERING AN EMAIL ADDRESS!

ATTENTION!

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT!

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

AN INVALID EMAIL ADDRESS WILL CAUSE YOUR ACCOUNT TO BE DELETED!

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.


Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML is not allowed!
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 


For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome