Need help planning a DIY sub build - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 70 Old 04-13-14, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Ender

My System
Re: Need help planning a DIY sub build

Quote:
Mike P. wrote: View Post
One in each cabinet ported, both powered by the iNuke.
Link to the WinISD for the 15" D4? Cant find it here.

Wanting to take a look at it modeled out in a box so I can figure out size and ports, etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 70 Old 04-13-14, 08:13 PM
Shackster

Quote:
The best value will be the SI HT15D4, they are available. They can be wired together for a 4 ohm load. They model the same as the 460HO in a 24" slot ported cube and are cheaper. Power would be a iNuke 3000DSP with a fan modification.
I second Mike's vote for the SI HT15D4 as well. I just now spent some time modeling them. My conclusion: They look to be very capable for your needs and are also a great value at $165 each (includes $20 S/H).

Assuming 2 drivers, 5 ft3 per driver, 20 Hz tune, normalized to Xmax or Pe power limit, applicable HPF to control excursion below tune

Infinitys at 600 W: F3 at 22 Hz, 112 db at 20 Hz, 116 dB at 40 Hz.

SIs at 1200 W: F3 at 23 Hz, 116 dB at 20 Hz, 121 dB at 40 Hz.

The decision: $200 more for the drivers ($330 vs $130) plus 600 more watts to yield 4 to 5 more dB across the passband.

Is it worth it . . . that's for you to decide???
post #23 of 70 Old 04-13-14, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Ender

My System

Quote:
areyou4real wrote: View Post
I second Mike's vote for the SI HT15D4 as well. I just now spent some time modeling them. My conclusion: They look to be very capable for your needs and are also a great value at $165 each (includes $20 S/H).

Assuming 2 drivers, 5 ft3 per driver, 20 Hz tune, normalized to Xmax or Pe power limit, applicable HPF to control excursion below tune

Infinitys at 600 W: F3 at 22 Hz, 112 db at 20 Hz, 116 dB at 40 Hz.

SIs at 1200 W: F3 at 23 Hz, 116 dB at 20 Hz, 121 dB at 40 Hz.

The decision: $200 more for the drivers ($330 vs $130) plus 600 more watts to yield 4 to 5 more dB across the passband.

Is it worth it . . . that's for you to decide???
Yeah... I like their looks.

I need to get their WinISD file and then hammer down the full spec's of a Martycube. I think a downfiring MartyCube (or smaller version) like this is the way to go. Although the sub in the pic is the 18" driver so the 12 will use a smaller cut-out and may be able to size down the box.

I looked at the SI 15 D4 and its 55 to ship 2 them to me so total for 2 is 325.

I think this may be the way to go, for the price is the best bang for the buck. On top of it if I can get the size down on them, the possibility for 4 exists as Stereo Integrity is buying more of those woofers to keep them stocked.

I am 95% of the way to paying for both and just snagging them now to have them shipped to me and then work on the amp later on.

The next question is:

iNuke + MiniDSP + UMIK MIC + REW (autocalibrate)

OR

iNuke w DSP + REW (manual entry)

I get a discount through work on the iNukes.

Then its a iNuke 3000 or iNuke 6000 (either with 2 outputs or 4)

post #24 of 70 Old 04-13-14, 08:29 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Just a heads up, the smaller you make the cabinet the less low end output you will have.

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #25 of 70 Old 04-13-14, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Ender

My System

Quote:
Just a heads up, the smaller you make the cabinet the less low end output you will have.
So would you just basically use the MartyCube concept to build out and just use the 15" driver rather than the 18"?

Here is more info on the MartyCube from AVS (quote below link to AVSForum)

Quote:
chalugadp wrote:

Here is what I would setup mine as (quote linked to post w/ pics)

Quote:
basshead81 wrote:
a friend of mine just finished building some down firing variants of the marty cube.

Here are some pics. Not painted yet...still deciding on finish. Hope this is ok to post here.
post #26 of 70 Old 04-13-14, 08:56 PM
Shackster

Quote:
EndersShadow wrote: View Post
I am 95% of the way to paying for both and just snagging them now to have them shipped to me and then work on the amp later on.

The next question is:

iNuke + MiniDSP + UMIK MIC + REW (autocalibrate)

OR

iNuke w DSP + REW (manual entry)

I get a discount through work on the iNukes.

Then its a iNuke 3000 or iNuke 6000 (either with 2 outputs or 4)
Sounds like a plan. You will still need a mic for option 2 (no miniDSP), but as I posted, there's data out there showing the stock Audysssey mic does a fairly good job with REW.

Also, the 3000 and 6000 are both 2 channel amps. One 3000 will power 2 of these subs with power to spare. Add another 3000, if you ever decide to build 2 more matching subs.

My guess is that 2 subs will be plenty by the time you add in some room gain. Room gain is hard to predict. In theory, it should very proportionally with room size/dimensions, but that's not always the case. In fact, AVS member Bossobass has found it generally does not and has collected some good data on what to expect:

Need help planning a DIY sub build-room-gain.png
post #27 of 70 Old 04-13-14, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Ender

My System

Quote:
areyou4real wrote: View Post
Sounds like a plan. You will still need a mic for option 2 (no miniDSP), but as I posted, there's data out there showing the stock Audysssey mic does a fairly good job with REW.

Also, the 3000 and 6000 are both 2 channel amps. One 3000 will power 2 of these subs with power to spare. Add another 3000, if you ever decide to build 2 more matching subs.

My guess is that 2 subs will be plenty by the time you add in some room gain. Room gain is hard to predict. In theory, it should very proportionally with room size/dimensions, but that's not always the case. In fact, AVS member Bossobass has found it generally does not and has collected some good data on what to expect
Yeah, I agree... that and TBH once I put 2 of these monsters in the house, getting 2 more just wont happen lol.....

But my main point is even bass over a large area. The eD just cant handle 3000+ cubic feet. These 2 15's should provide adequate bass and help fix and room nulls.

I am looking HARD at the 3000 sans DSP then miniDSP. My Audyssey MIC may be good, but I am not really good at figuring out REW and the USB MIC simply makes it super easy, and then add in the fact I can port it over to the MiniDSP and have it do the work for me, and I am even more happy...
post #28 of 70 Old 04-13-14, 09:29 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

So would you just basically use the MartyCube concept to build out and just use the 15" driver rather than the 18"?

Yes, the SI 15 is less money that the 460HO and has the same output. I can't access the downfiring link, as long as it's 5 cu.ft. net volume it'll do well.

We're all in this together!

post #29 of 70 Old 04-13-14, 09:39 PM
Shackster

Quote:
EndersShadow wrote: View Post
Yeah, I agree... that and TBH once I put 2 of these monsters in the house, getting 2 more just wont happen lol.....

But my main point is even bass over a large area. The eD just cant handle 3000+ cubic feet. These 2 15's should provide adequate bass and help fix and room nulls.

I am looking HARD at the 3000 sans DSP then miniDSP. My Audyssey MIC may be good, but I am not really good at figuring out REW and the USB MIC simply makes it super easy, and then add in the fact I can port it over to the MiniDSP and have it do the work for me, and I am even more happy...

Re: Design. You may want to look into woofer sag to see if the SI is suitable for down-firing. Opinions vary as to whether sag really matters in the big picture.
http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/esa...rientation.pdf
https://www.parts-express.com/resour...-mount-up-down

Re: Output. Bosso's chart covers a variety of room sizes, 1000ft - 6000 ft3; nevertheless, you can see room gain generally seems to start around 40 Hz and conservatively rises about 6 or 7 dB per octave from there. So add 6 or 7 dB to your simulations at 20 Hz to get an idea of what to expect for room gain.

Re: REW. I have the miniDSP with the Audyssey mic and it works good, but there was a learning curve. If easier is a priority, then definitely go the miniDSP + UMIK-1 route. Be sure to get the balanced version of the miniDSP; it has the higher output V usually required to fully drive pro audio gear.
http://www.minidsp.com/products/mini...p-balanced-2x4
post #30 of 70 Old 04-13-14, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Ender

My System

Quote:

Yes, the SI 15 is less money that the 460HO and has the same output. I can't access the downfiring link, as long as it's 5 cu.ft. net volume it'll do well.
Yes, thats the goal.

The downfiring one just took the MartyCube and flipped it so the driver and ports are downfiring. The box has a 4" gap from the floor to the bottom of the box. I have checked with the guy and their are no issues with the sub walking or whatnot....

Will the SI have issues (sag, etc) being downfiring?