Need help planning a DIY sub build - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #51 of 70 Old 04-15-14, 05:41 PM
Senior Shackster

Have you considered going sealed? The dsp on the inuke3000dsp has a great ls12 filter that can lift the bottom end and when bridged can output 2075w ish at 4ohm's. I have it set to 25hz at +3db and along with my house curve is impressive. Im new to all this and just finished doing dual 15's sealed with the 3000dsp and am shocked at the output. I think if you want to go really low sealed is the way since a box tuned to 18hz would sharply drop below 18hz right? My 2 newb cents.

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 70 Old 04-15-14, 06:58 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Re: Need help planning a DIY sub build

You can try them at 2 ohms per channel. Hopefully the amp won't kick out on thermal overload. It will depend how hard you drive the subs.

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #53 of 70 Old 04-15-14, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Ender

My System

Quote:
Mike P. wrote: View Post
You can try them at 2 ohms per channel. Hopefully the amp won't kick out on thermal overload. It will depend how hard you drive the subs.
Yeah, I dont want to mess with that probability.

My main issue is that I need to be able to EQ them independently which I cant when they are daisy chained.

So I either need a amp with a LOT of 8 ohm power (expensive) or 4 ohm subs.

Wondering how the Dayton UM12's or UM15's would do instead.

post #54 of 70 Old 04-15-14, 10:22 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

The UM15 models the same as the SI HT15, same power, same HPF.

post #55 of 70 Old 04-16-14, 09:28 AM
Shackster

My System

That closet under the stairs there Ender would make an excellent built in AV rack and IB subwoofer enclosure... Just brace it up a little, add some acoustic damping and viola.
post #56 of 70 Old 04-16-14, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Ender

My System

Quote:
climber07 wrote: View Post
That closet under the stairs there Ender would make an excellent built in AV rack and IB subwoofer enclosure... Just brace it up a little, add some acoustic damping and viola.
Thats where we hide all the kido's stuff..... and trust me there is no room as it is lol..

Plus the entertainment center we just got in (not in the pics) is VERY VERY nice.

I will try to take some pics later tonight....
post #57 of 70 Old 04-16-14, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Ender

My System

Got some better pics of my setup just so you get an idea of what it actually looks like setup (phone pics cause I didnt have time for the "good" camera.)

This is from the actual main listening position

These are just some other general pictures of the room.

post #58 of 70 Old 04-17-14, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Ender

My System

Just got some good news (I think).

A buddy of mine just told me he is running the 18" D4's wired @ 2 ohms off a iNuke 3000 DSP model. He's modded the fan and has no issues with thermal shutdown on the amp.

Which makes me think I can probably get by with the 15" D4's wired to 2 ohms on the iNuke. Which makes me happy as its the cheaper option

He's bought his setup off a guy that custom made them in a sealed Sonotube (pics/thread here) and drives em hard with no issues.
post #59 of 70 Old 04-17-14, 08:48 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Good to know.

post #60 of 70 Old 04-18-14, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Ender

My System

Ok. So I have found a couple SI D2 drivers. They are priced very decently. I am not wondering if I should go for 2 ported subs (each with a single driver) or if I should go with 4 sealed subs, one in each corner. I could also go with 2 dual opposed sealed subs.

I was hoping someone here might be able to graph out how a sealed 15" D2 v Ported v. Sealed dual opposed would look on paper.