Mach 5 Audio IXL-18.4 Build - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 87 Old 07-23-08, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Mike

Re: Mach 5 Audio IXL-18.4 Build

As for the internal bracing dimensions, I'll be home from work on Aug. 5th. I'll be off work for 3 weeks and we'll get the information that you'll need.

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 87 Old 08-12-08, 03:05 PM
Shackster
Zuki

Did you ever get the internals?
post #43 of 87 Old 08-12-08, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Mike

Haven't had time yet. Family issues are keeping me busy at the moment. Hopefully later this week or early next week.

post #44 of 87 Old 08-21-08, 07:30 PM
Klipsch is King
Inactive

Hi Mike, I hope all is well!! Yes, the build as per your specifications is definitely going ahead. I have the 2 drivers sitting in the corner of my office looking at me pleading to be built!!

I have your external measurements so when I move into the new house in a few weeks I will organise having some mdf cut to size and get started on construction. I am looking forward to the challenge. Cheers ROB
post #45 of 87 Old 09-13-08, 05:04 PM
Senior Shackster
sollars

i'd like to see some measurements on here too...when you get the time.
post #46 of 87 Old 11-15-08, 11:44 AM
Banned!
jordan powell

beautiful. I'm not much for tube ports anymore, but are those aero attatchments? I am surprised there aren't cancellation issues, and peaks and spikes on the inverse. (edit: by having the 18's separated and then 15's as well...4 dispersed subs)Where do you get your egg crate? Lets see some new pics when the new visuals get in!

Whats with HT guys not making ? (edit speaker movement videos lol i guess we cant say ! )I like 18's moving from 30Hz on down much more than the car audio ! (edit: stuff)
post #47 of 87 Old 11-16-08, 09:24 AM
Senior Shackster

eyekode

Those look like 4" precision ports to me.
post #48 of 87 Old 11-16-08, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Mike

Quote:
Those look like 4" precision ports to me.
And you would be right.

post #49 of 87 Old 11-16-08, 04:08 PM
Elite Shackster

PHIL

So Mike . . . . . after some months with those subs in the house playing softly in the background, what can you tell us about having "prodigious" amounts of uber low frequencies available for music and movies? Is the time and money worth the experience of building and listening? Over time have you been able to find a (sweet spot) where you blend the subs with your mains and where is it? Has your family accepted the subs as a necessary part of HT or could they care less?
post #50 of 87 Old 11-16-08, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Mike

Quote:
what can you tell us about having "prodigious" amounts of uber low frequencies available for music and movies?
The best way to describe 4 active subs in a HT environment is "effortless". I had read about that term and didn't know what it meant until I experienced it. No straining, just effortless low end extension. It totally engulfs you. It's something you have to experience.

Quote:
Is the time and money worth the experience of building and listening?
Without a doubt. I don't regret one second or one cent.

Quote:
Over time have you been able to find a (sweet spot) where you blend the subs with your mains and where is it
All subs are crossed over at 80hz. Each sub amp has a variable phase adjustment and it took a while to get them all dialed in right. It's an experience from the listening position.

Quote:
Has your family accepted the subs as a necessary part of HT or could they care less?
When I had a pair of Shiva's and a pair of Atlas 15's in the HT, it was the wife who mentioned that they sounded strained when pushed hard, and maybe we should get something bigger. That got me the pair of IXL-18's. It was her who wanted an upgrade to her upstairs music system (IXL-15) and also her who wanted a sub in her workout room (IXL-12). Yes, I know. I'm a very lucky man!