DUAL RL-P15 Build - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 51 Old 01-16-08, 01:50 AM
Senior Shackster
Will

Send a message via AIM to WillyD Send a message via Skype™ to WillyD
Re: DUAL RL-P15 Build

Quote:
At 750 watts input power cone excursion is reached at 13hz. Hopefully someone else will chime in here as I'm not sure how big a LLT design is supposed to be. Let's call this a learning experience for the both of us!
Well first off, there is no way that QSC will put out a clean 750W at any frequency, let alone 20Hz and below. Maybe 600W @ 20Hz?

Secondly, I actually have the T/S parameters of a Rl-p 15 DVC4 wired in parallel. Naturally they're different, so the sub will model differently.

It looks like you'll have close to 12ft^3 net? I think I'd go ahead and tune as low as possible (36" long 6" port) if you plan on keeping that QSC amp. Might as well gain a little extension since you won't be pushing the drivers too hard. If you ever plan on upping the power, then I'd tune higher.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 51 Old 01-16-08, 03:46 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Quote:
WillyD wrote: View Post
Well first off, there is no way that QSC will put out a clean 750W at any frequency, let alone 20Hz and below. Maybe 600W @ 20Hz?
Thanks for chiming in Will. The above modelling was based on driver limits and not on the QSCs amplifer output. My opinion is it's nice to know what a subs potential is should you decide to use it.

post #13 of 51 Old 01-16-08, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
cpiman

Quote:
WillyD wrote: View Post

Secondly, I actually have the T/S parameters of a Rl-p 15 DVC4 wired in parallel. Naturally they're different, so the sub will model differently.

It looks like you'll have close to 12ft^3 net? I think I'd go ahead and tune as low as possible (36" long 6" port) if you plan on keeping that QSC amp. Might as well gain a little extension since you won't be pushing the drivers too hard. If you ever plan on upping the power, then I'd tune higher.

Thanks for the input Willy. I don't want to leave anything on the table here. What amp would you recommend? EP2500? I can get that for a good price right now. Would you keep the same tune of 14hz with a bigger amp then?

post #14 of 51 Old 01-16-08, 07:01 AM
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Rodny

I have two Rlp15s tune to 11hz on a EP2500 and had no problems at all, I'm not an expert on designing boxes but I think you should be OK with the 36 x 6 port like Willy said, as long as you not going crazy trying to play 12 or 14hz tone for long periods.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #15 of 51 Old 01-16-08, 07:16 AM
Senior Shackster
Will

Quote:
Thanks for chiming in Will. The above modelling was based on driver limits and not on the QSCs amplifer output. My opinion is it's nice to know what a subs potential is should you decide to use it.
For sure.

Quote:
Thanks for the input Willy. I don't want to leave anything on the table here. What amp would you recommend? EP2500? I can get that for a good price right now. Would you keep the same tune of 14hz with a bigger amp then?
Well, if you want to stick to 14Hz, then I wouldn't get a new amp just yet. You could build the new enclosures, set them up, and see what happens. If the amp clips and you want more out of the subs, buy a better amp. The EP2500 would indeed be a step up, or you could go another step up. Just depends.
post #16 of 51 Old 01-16-08, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
cpiman

Well I have updated my design. It will be a 15.8 cuft box net. I will tune it to 12hz so the port will be 29.1 in long. I went with a big box so I could start out tuning low. If I want I can always shorten the port to raise the tune up if needed.

This way I can hang onto the QSC amp and if it does not cut it I will get something different. Is there any other Amp I should look at other then the EP2500?
post #17 of 51 Old 01-16-08, 04:29 PM
Senior Shackster
Will

Quote:
Is there any other Amp I should look at other then the EP2500?
Depends on budget.
post #18 of 51 Old 01-16-08, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
cpiman

$500.00
post #19 of 51 Old 01-16-08, 05:25 PM
Senior Shackster
Will

Quote:
cpiman wrote: View Post
$500.00
Musician's Friend has a sale on refurb Crown XS900s for $399 shipped (with 3year no-fault warranty). I'd say thats a pretty good deal.
post #20 of 51 Old 01-17-08, 12:58 AM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Any reason for wanting to tune to 12hz with "only" two 15" drivers?