DUAL RL-P15 Build - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 51 Old 01-23-08, 08:11 PM
Senior Shackster
Will

Send a message via AIM to WillyD Send a message via Skype™ to WillyD
Re: DUAL RL-P15 Build

Quote:
Got my Crown Xs900 on Monday. WOW is that thing built good! Not as loud as my QSC and it has 2 fans!
Ohh yeah it is.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 Old 01-24-08, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
cpiman

Well, Got them all sanded and filed. Got them in the house tonight and I will put some paint on in the morning......

Here is a picture of the boxes and my 2 boys for reference on how big they are. Thats Tyler on the left he is 14. Jacob on the right he is 8........... Do I belong to the big box club?

post #33 of 51 Old 01-24-08, 10:33 PM

These are some serious subs,DIY done right is very rewarding. And with dual subs like this ...you are set for some time.

post #34 of 51 Old 01-25-08, 12:56 AM
Elite Shackster

thxgoon

Wow nice build! I bet your boys will have fun with it while you're not home for the next few years

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #35 of 51 Old 01-26-08, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
cpiman

Well, I got them all done. Calibrated and tried some WOTW to check them out. First seen the lighting seen in the beginning clipped channel one right off the Bat. Well that is not right did not have it turned up even to reference at that point and gains set at half.......hmmmmm. Turned up the sub level on the receiver because the crown amp has 1.4 volt input and my QSC had 1.15v. Did not think that would be a big difference but what the hay I will try it. Played same seen again same thing only this time I noticed that the sub on channel 2 was barely working..... at this time I was like . Pulled the subs out double checked all connections and everything was fine. Put my BFD in line to check the output of the receiver set it so that I would stay out of clipping at my normal listing level. Tried again same thing. At this point I was thinking I had a bad amp. Went to bed went to work and when I came home tinkered with it again only this time I have no channel 2 at all. Hooked back up my QSC 1450 and BINGO everything is good. I have a bad Crown amp right out the the box

Now after my small rant My feelings on the new boxes........... WOW I can really push them allot harder then ever before with out clipping the amp. Music sounds much better. I can feel it. Had a blanket laying on the floor about 5 feet away and it was blowing the blanket around..

I'm going to call Musician's Friend now to find out what to do with that Crown amp. I have to say It put a bad taste in my mouth but I am willing to try again. The only problem I see is that the amp is now discontinued on there web site. I hope they take care of me.

Here are some before and after pictures of my setup. That is a Samsung 62in DLP TV for reference on how big the boxes are......

BEFORE

AFTER

post #36 of 51 Old 01-26-08, 10:20 PM
Senior Shackster
Will

Man that really sucks about the amp. Sorry. But they'll definitely take care of you. Even if they don't, Crown will (they'll cover shipping fees as well).
post #37 of 51 Old 01-26-08, 10:38 PM
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Rodny

They look great!!!!!!!!!

Good job!

post #38 of 51 Old 01-26-08, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
cpiman

Well, I just called and they don't have anymore. They will give me QSC 1450 for the same price but I will take a hit in the power department. The crown gives me 1200 per channel @ 2ohm the QSC I would have to drive each voice coil separate at 450 watts each voice coil for a total of 900 watts. I don't know what to do. Have two QSC 1450 one for each sub or just get a Behringer EuroPower EP2500. They would sell me a new Crown but I would have to pay another $125. I need some input here
post #39 of 51 Old 01-26-08, 10:59 PM
Elite Shackster

thxgoon

Quote:
cpiman wrote: View Post
Well, I just called and they don't have anymore. They will give me QSC 1450 for the same price but I will take a hit in the power department. The crown gives me 1200 per channel @ 2ohm the QSC I would have to drive each voice coil separate at 450 watts each voice coil for a total of 900 watts. I don't know what to do. Have two QSC 1450 one for each sub or just get a Behringer EuroPower EP2500. They would sell me a new Crown but I would have to pay another $125. I need some input here
I'd call Crown direct if Musician's Friend won't find a good solution for you. We had a Crown amp go bad a few months ago only a month after it was installed and they express shipped a new one direct before we even took out the bad one. Crown is one of the best in the biz... if anything I bet they could repair it for you.

Oh ya, nice job!

post #40 of 51 Old 01-27-08, 11:38 AM
Senior Shackster
Will

Quote:
cpiman wrote: View Post
Like thxgoon said, call Crown up. I've spoken to them and they are nice folks. Your XS900 is under warranty for three years from now, so they will set the situation right for free.

If they don't express ship one out like thxgoon said, they'll at least send you a prepaid shipping label/box for you to send the amp in and they'll fix it and return it for no charge as well. I'd do that before paying for a new one.