DUAL RL-P15 Build - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 51 Old 01-27-08, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
cpiman

Re: DUAL RL-P15 Build

Quote:
thxgoon wrote: View Post
I'd call Crown direct if Musician's Friend won't find a good solution for you. We had a Crown amp go bad a few months ago only a month after it was installed and they express shipped a new one direct before we even took out the bad one. Crown is one of the best in the biz... if anything I bet they could repair it for you.

Oh ya, nice job!
Quote:
WillyD wrote: View Post
Like thxgoon said, call Crown up. I've spoken to them and they are nice folks. Your XS900 is under warranty for three years from now, so they will set the situation right for free.

If they don't express ship one out like thxgoon said, they'll at least send you a prepaid shipping label/box for you to send the amp in and they'll fix it and return it for no charge as well. I'd do that before paying for a new one.

I'm going to call them tomorrow and see what they can do for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 51 Old 01-27-08, 06:28 PM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

That's a pretty mean looking front stage. So you like the big ported boxes a lot better than your small ones? I've been leaning towards a smaller sealed sub for my next one, but maybe I'm thinking wrong. I guess the smaller box and the higher tuning frequency would give you quite a different feel than the ones you have now, and this is more a "better version" of what you had, rather than a totally "different" sub. Either way, great work, and best of luck with the bad amp, I hope they sort you out!

Edit: Did going to the bigger boxes give you a less boomy sound? Just wondering.

- OJ -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #43 of 51 Old 01-28-08, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
cpiman

Quote:
thxgoon wrote: View Post
I'd call Crown direct if Musician's Friend won't find a good solution for you. We had a Crown amp go bad a few months ago only a month after it was installed and they express shipped a new one direct before we even took out the bad one. Crown is one of the best in the biz... if anything I bet they could repair it for you.

Oh ya, nice job!
Quote:
WillyD wrote: View Post
Like thxgoon said, call Crown up. I've spoken to them and they are nice folks. Your XS900 is under warranty for three years from now, so they will set the situation right for free.

If they don't express ship one out like thxgoon said, they'll at least send you a prepaid shipping label/box for you to send the amp in and they'll fix it and return it for no charge as well. I'd do that before paying for a new one.
Update on the Crown Amp you guys were right! I called Crown just now and they are e-mailing me my shipping label as I type. They are going to take care of me. Very nice people I was talking with!

post #44 of 51 Old 01-28-08, 03:53 PM
Senior Shackster
Will

Send a message via AIM to WillyD Send a message via Skype™ to WillyD

Quote:
Update on the Crown Amp you guys were right! I called Crown just now and they are e-mailing me my shipping label as I type. They are going to take care of me. Very nice people I was talking with!
Good deal!
post #45 of 51 Old 01-28-08, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
cpiman

Quote:
Owen Bartley wrote: View Post
That's a pretty mean looking front stage. So you like the big ported boxes a lot better than your small ones? I've been leaning towards a smaller sealed sub for my next one, but maybe I'm thinking wrong. I guess the smaller box and the higher tuning frequency would give you quite a different feel than the ones you have now, and this is more a "better version" of what you had, rather than a totally "different" sub. Either way, great work, and best of luck with the bad amp, I hope they sort you out!

Edit: Did going to the bigger boxes give you a less boomy sound? Just wondering.

I like the big box Much better. Night and day difference IMO.

I have much less boomy sound. I have bass now that I did not know I was missing. I will try to get some measurements of the setup. I have noticed most that I don't have to have music or a movie cranked to get the output now. And that is with my old QSC1450 can't wait to try the Crown Xs900
post #46 of 51 Old 01-29-08, 06:42 PM
Mfishmike

Re: DUAL RL-P15 Build and the QSC 1450 amp

I was going to build a pair of the RLS-15's sealed and Mike told me they are gone for now. I wanted to have the finest bass I could get in my living room. He said I would need larger amps too....

I made a change in my wiring.....

I have two dual 2 ohm drivers in my cabinet. I wired all 4 of them in series which is now presenting an 8 ohm load to the QSC 1450. I'm between 700 and 800 watts to both drivers on a single amp. I watched a high impact movie with this new wiring change and listened to a couple of premium music videos, and the bass is still so incredibly clean using just one amp wired this way. The passive radiators help to reach those really low clean frequencies. The dual 2 ohm's Q are low enough to take advantage of this type of design.

I have the other QSC amp disconnected now and am ready for another subwoofer. I'm anxiously awaiting my order of two more RLP 15's from Mike. I'm going to duplicate what I already have built as my Rotel has dual sub outputs and dual subs are recommended for an optimal HT system. That will give me 4 15" RLP's and 8 passive radiators in two cabinets. I think I'll be extremely happy with this set up. As I've posted earlier, don't sell the QSC amps short because they do perform quite well.

Also something else I noticed, pumping out some really high spl with the QSC at the 8 ohm load, the fans never kicked into the high speed mode and were quiet! I was still able to acheive the headroom I wanted.

I've (my wife has) already blown a pair of drivers using the two amp setup I had before, so this should keep things down to a safe level as far as overdriving the sub.

Good luck with your projects,
Mike
post #47 of 51 Old 02-01-08, 11:22 PM
Senior Shackster
Arthur

The larger optimal EBS(LLT) box will best a sealed any day,both being well designed. At liberal SPL the large ported brings the best out of these RL-p drivers.

Only a few drivers are great for smaller sealed(a small group of very high Xmax ...Tumult,TC3000 and up,SoundSplinter RLs,JL W7(Fathom variant)),where they perform admirably.Still ported beats sealed,port gain cannot be denied.

From now on I think I will not build a single sealed! All will be ported.
post #48 of 51 Old 02-02-08, 01:57 AM
Elite Shackster

thxgoon

Quote:
cpiman wrote: View Post
I like the big box Much better. Night and day difference IMO.

I have much less boomy sound. I have bass now that I did not know I was missing. I will try to get some measurements of the setup. I have noticed most that I don't have to have music or a movie cranked to get the output now. And that is with my old QSC1450 can't wait to try the Crown Xs900

post #49 of 51 Old 02-04-08, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
cpiman

Finally got to do some measurements tonight. Had to use 5 filters on the BFD but got it to look pretty good.

As you can see I had a bad null at 50hz. I tried some different stuff before I EQ'ed it but could not get much better. The only thing that has me a bit worried is that I had to do a gain of +16 to get it out.
I have my receiver crossed at 100hz to help the null at 90hz also set a very narrow filter of +16 to get that up. Do any of you think that having them 2 filters at a gain of +16 will hurt anything?

Also I had my mains running with the subs. Any suggestions on what you see would be great (Good or Bad!)
post #50 of 51 Old 02-04-08, 07:26 PM
Elite Shackster

thxgoon

Quote:
cpiman wrote: View Post
As you can see I had a bad null at 50hz. I tried some different stuff before I EQ'ed it but could not get much better. The only thing that has me a bit worried is that I had to do a gain of +16 to get it out.
I have my receiver crossed at 100hz to help the null at 90hz also set a very narrow filter of +16 to get that up. Do any of you think that having them 2 filters at a gain of +16 will hurt anything?

Also I had my mains running with the subs. Any suggestions on what you see would be great (Good or Bad!)
Nice job on the eq and that is some awesome extention! +16db is on the order of 300X power so it's definitely pushing it. Unfortunately there's not much you can do about a big room mode like this other than move the subs or move the couch. Definitely keep an eye on the clip lights of the amp!