SI15" or RSS390HO in 4.4cuft net Ported ? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 8 Old 08-10-14, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

SI15" or RSS390HO in 4.4cuft net Ported ?

I am wondering if anyone can model these 2 Drivers in WinISD to see which is best suited for a 20Wx24Hx25D (4.4cuft Net) Sub enclosure for HT .

SI15", TS Parameters:

15" D2
Re: 3.7 Ohms
Fs: 18.5 Hz
Qes: 0.37
Qms: 6.3
Qts: 0.35
Le: 3.5 mH
Sd: 80445 mm^2
Vas: 220 l
BL: 18.9
Mms: 309 g
Cms: 239
Sensitivity (1W/1M): 87.4 dB
Xmax: 22.5mm

Recommended enclosures: 15"
Sealed = 3 ft^3
Ported = 5 ft^3 tuned to 22 Hz
Displacement: 0.19 ft^3

RSS390HO,TS Parameters:

Resonant Frequency (Fs)24.2 Hz
DC Resistance (Re)3.3 ohms

Voice Coil Inductance (Le)1.83 mH
Mechanical Q (Qms)4.48

Electromagnetic Q (Qes)0.42
Total Q (Qts)0.39

Compliance Equivalent Volume (Vas)3.87 ft.ģ
Mechanical Compliance of Suspension (Cms)0.11 mm/N

BL Product (BL)21.52 Tm
Diaphragm Mass Inc. Airload (Mms)380.6g

Maximum Linear Excursion (Xmax)12 mm
Surface Area of Cone (Sd)829.6 cmē

Wondering if this (12mm Xmax ?),is very conservative like it was on the RSS460?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-11-14, 11:07 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

Re: SI15" or RSS390HO in 4.4cuft net Ported ?

IN response to your PM I will do what I can. I cant do an exact sketchup plan like Notnyt but I can try my best on the rest.

I will post a simulation as soon as I can. I have been very busy trying to keep the ladies of my house busy as of lately and sort of hit or miss on posts and time.

As I recall the 390 likes small boxes so you could port this subwoofer in something like a 4cuft enclosure. And seeing it only has about 12mm excursion port speed should not be difficult to tend to. The micro cube was designed around the 390HO. It is 21" cube I believe. All you have to do is changed a few dimensions to fit your space a presto. Same design.

The SI is more difficult to work with only because of the port speed. it can move air which in turns needs a bigger port which then means a much longer port. Trying to keep all that in 4cuft can be difficult. Higher tuning helps because this decreases the port length. BUT it may be not low enough tune for you.

Without looking I am sure both can work I just dont know the exact size cabinet for the SI. Worse case scenario you can add passive radiators and your set in 4cuft.

"Music is the space between the notes"
“[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.”
post #3 of 8 Old 08-11-14, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Quote:
chrapladm wrote: View Post
IN response to your PM I will do what I can. I cant do an exact sketchup plan like Notnyt but I can try my best on the rest.

I will post a simulation as soon as I can. I have been very busy trying to keep the ladies of my house busy as of lately and sort of hit or miss on posts and time.

As I recall the 390 likes small boxes so you could port this subwoofer in something like a 4cuft enclosure. And seeing it only has about 12mm excursion port speed should not be difficult to tend to. The micro cube was designed around the 390HO. It is 21" cube I believe. All you have to do is changed a few dimensions to fit your space a presto. Same design.

The SI is more difficult to work with only because of the port speed. it can move air which in turns needs a bigger port which then means a much longer port. Trying to keep all that in 4cuft can be difficult. Higher tuning helps because this decreases the port length. BUT it may be not low enough tune for you.

Without looking I am sure both can work I just dont know the exact size cabinet for the SI. Worse case scenario you can add passive radiators and your set in 4cuft.

Thank you Chrapladm,.. I appeciate very much and i dont need the sketchup plans.

..Yes I know about the Micro , but it is only 3.4cuft net,.. mine will be 4.4cuft net, I would like the box to be 20"W x24"H x25"D,,so the Slot Port could be (17.75"W x 1.5"H) ??.

I looked at other 15" subs like Rythmiks FV15 and it uses 2, 4" round ports ,total area of 25.12cu in,... My Port of 17.75 x 1.5 = 26.6cu in, ..is this correct ??

I calculated Slot Port length to come around 30" @ 21-22 Hz if correct ??

TS Parameters indicates to put the SI15" in a 5 cuft Ported enclosure tuned to 22HZ , so mine would be slightly smaller.

PS: The RSS 460 was indicated to having 12.5 mm of Xmax also , but in reality was supposed to be more like 20mm and measured almost identical to the SI 18",...so i guess the RSS390 also has much more Xmax than indicated ?

Thanks !!

Last edited by randyc1; 08-12-14 at 12:09 AM.

post #4 of 8 Old 08-13-14, 06:48 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

Not sure on the actual limits of other Dayton products. But with a port dimension of 17.75 x 1.5 x 30 you will take up about .5cuft. So from your 4.4 your already down to roughly 4.

In roughly 4cuft 22hz tune the SI needs about 1650watts to hit Xmax when Hpass at 18hz 4th order. It would take 2 cabinets each with a 390HO and almost the same wattage as the single SI to just edge out the single SI in terms of SPL.

“[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.”
post #5 of 8 Old 08-13-14, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Not sure on the actual limits of other Dayton products. But with a port dimension of 17.75 x 1.5 x 30 you will take up about .5cuft. So from your 4.4 your already down to roughly 4.

In roughly 4cuft 22hz tune the SI needs about 1650watts to hit Xmax when Hpass at 18hz 4th order. It would take 2 cabinets each with a 390HO and almost the same wattage as the single SI to just edge out the single SI in terms of SPL.

...Actually i started with 5.48 cuft Interior,... then i took off .6cu off for the Slot Port, and .4 for driver and bracing...so final is really (4.4-4.5cuft Net) .

...Would Vent Speed be allright?
...And 22hz is optimal tune?

Thank you so much Chrapladm , I appreciate your help !!

Last edited by randyc1; 08-13-14 at 08:16 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-13-14, 09:00 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

If you have more room then 20hz would be the tune I would port at. The SI needs a Hpass at 18hz and the Dayton needs one at 20hz.

Vent speeds will be decided on which size port you go with. I only tried to make a quick simulation for you to show what a pair of Daytons can do compared to a single SI.

post #7 of 8 Old 08-13-14, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Quote:
If you have more room then 20hz would be the tune I would port at. The SI needs a Hpass at 18hz and the Dayton needs one at 20hz.

Vent speeds will be decided on which size port you go with. I only tried to make a quick simulation for you to show what a pair of Daytons can do compared to a single SI.
Ok Chrapladm, thanks again for your help !!
post #8 of 8 Old 08-20-14, 02:24 PM
Shackster

I built a sub with the RSS390HO using different software and my build came out to 4.05 cu ft. (after the driver, bracing & etc. were subtracted). I think the porting is 4"x 26" or 27". I used twin flares in the rear below the plate amp (Dayton 500W) to exit the box tuned to Fs 23 HZ. The 12mm Xmax is conservative so don't worry about it.
This driver is also used for auto applications and I would assume it to be very rugged and can take some abuse.

Good Luck on the build!

Last edited by essneff; 08-21-14 at 07:35 AM.