Help planning, Si 18 ht Sonosub - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 15 Old 08-16-14, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System
Help planning, Si 18 ht Sonosub

Built the Statement Monitors and love them and now I am going to build a sub.

I only have room for one and it will be put in the corner behind my tv. I am planning on going with the SI 18 HT in a sonotube for ease of the build, moving it, and the enclosure needs to be tall.

I'm a noob when it comes to actually understanding all of the technical stuff so a little help is needed. The sub can be a total of 5'3" tall and about 24" diameter (not as critical). I would like a tune as low as possible with this size. I also need input on an amp, dsp, ect. I'm not really sure what all I have to have.

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-17-14, 12:03 AM
Senior Shackster
Myles

Re: Help planning, Si 18 ht Sonosub

Just copy mine . Mine is a little taller than 5'3", so you'll probably have to tune ~16Hz instead of my 14Hz.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
<-- SOLD!

post #3 of 15 Old 08-17-14, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System
Wood- I did see your build and I can't wait to see them finished. Either I missed it or you didn't say what you are using to power them and anything about dsp. I'm pretty unfamiliar with all that so I'm not sure what I need or absolutely have to have.

Also, what ohm rating should I get? Should I shoot for running an 8ohm load since it's easier on the amp?

post #4 of 15 Old 08-17-14, 09:35 PM
Senior Shackster
Myles

Get 4 ohm. Use a pro amp. I like Behringer. I used an EP4K for a few years with no trouble. I upgraded to an iNuke 6000 for the new 18's (probably didn't need to honestly, nervous energy). You'll need some kind of DSP based EQ for a high pass filter. Some say you don't need it for LLT. I was able to get rid of some bottoming by using a MiniDSP (click my sig link). Plus, whether it's an iNuke built-in DSP, or MiniDSP, you'll pick up the ability to do some important "room fitting", ie, kill response peaks and applying some amount of "house curve" (boosting the lows) if you like.

You really should be able to do all of your design using just the SonoSub software. Just make your port 8-1/2" like mine, and you don't even need to mess with WinISD.

http://www.subwoofer-builder.com/sonosub.htm

One caveat. If you know you're only ever going to use one sub (my one 15" quickly turned into two), then get 8-ohm and bridge a 2-ch amp into it.

<-- SOLD!

post #5 of 15 Old 08-17-14, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System
Ok, I was looking at the inuke series with the dsp but wasn't sure if that was the best route to go. Will it do everything I need?

So your saying get an inuke and bridge both channels into an 8ohm total load? I'll have to get on my computer and download the sonosub program.
post #6 of 15 Old 08-18-14, 03:27 PM
Senior Shackster
Myles

I haven't looked into it myself, but I'm pretty sure the iNuke-DSP can do the HPF you'll need. Just check the specs/manual. And I'm pretty sure REW (Room EQ Wizard) has iNuke-DSP integration. MiniDSP is very nice too, though (but more expensive).

Basically, assuming 16Hz tune, you'll need something like a 24dB/octave @ ~15Hz HPF. If you do WinISD modeling, you can apply that filter to see the reduction in cone excursion and port velocity around and below the tune freq.

<-- SOLD!

post #7 of 15 Old 08-18-14, 03:55 PM
Senior Shackster
Myles

I read one of the iNuke manuals. It got me wanting the dynamic EQ feature that I don't have with my MiniDSP . But oddly enough, they don't specify how low you can set the HPF, so you'll need to hit the amp forums to make sure it goes low enough. But I haven't heard any complaints, so I assume it can go down to at least 15Hz.

<-- SOLD!

post #8 of 15 Old 08-18-14, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System
That's great information. I'll check the amp forum to see. Like I said, I'm new to all this so I really don't know what I'm looking for or at.

I found some info in how much actual rms power the inuke 3000 puts out which is enough to run the sub on one channel at 4 ohms but way more than I need if I bridge it. So should I get a smaller amp and bridge it into 4ohms?
post #9 of 15 Old 08-18-14, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System
So I found several people say that the lowest the dsp can go is 20hz which is not low enough. In that case would it be better to snag an ep2500 or ep4000 and get a minidsp? I see those are another $100. Do you have to leave them plugged in?
post #10 of 15 Old 08-20-14, 11:56 AM
Senior Shackster
Myles

Wow. That's a huge screwup by Behringer. Too focused on PA applications. The frustrating thing is that since it's all DSP, they could probably lower the minimum cutoff frequency with a simple software modification.

Oh well, in that case, I recommend the cheapest pro-amp power you can get your hands on. Probably an EP or iNuke(sans DSP). I would probably get the iNuke3000. Never worry about too much power. You can always turn down the volume. Amps sounds better (less distortion) at lower stress levels. Or so the general wisdom goes. You also need to be prepared for bass-creep. My one sub quickly turned into two (15's) and is now turning into two 18's. But that's the end of the line for me... really... .

[Edit] BTW, the implication is, yes, you should eventually get a MiniDSP, or equivalent. Don't worry though, you can run the sub w/o it. You'll just be able to get more dB out of it when you can filter out the ultra-low stuff that will cause you to bottom.

<-- SOLD!