My SS RL-p15 build - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 67 Old 02-13-08, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Maverick

My SS RL-p15 build *or maybe 18?*

I'm just starting out this project, but might as well start a thread on it now. I've more or less decided to go with the Rl-p15, unless any of you would object to that and give me a better driver in that price range. I have a long term plan with this. I'm building a house sometime in the next few years, and it will have a dedicated home theater. So the plan is to have 2 or most likely 4 RL-p15s by then and do a 'proper' build. I need some experience first, and will probably end up doing a few different designs. For now I'm starting off light with one driver and an EP-2500 to drive it.

I've looked at 'Jerm357's build here, and that seems like a very good place to start. It should fit my room nicely in one of the rear corners, and if it works I'll put another one somewhere.

I currently have an SVS PB12plus/2 that I'm happy with, except it feels a little 'slow' sometimes. Might be room or placement, but I can't seem to make it work no matter where I put it.

So I'm thinking RL-p15 in about 250l effective volume with around 15Hz tune. I would like to keep overall dimensions (outside) within 60cm by 120cm, for materials cost.

Any thoughts on how the DIY will compare to the PB12+/2?

Anything I should do different?
Will I need anything besides the box, driver and amp? I have a BFD.
As far as i can gather from the net, the EP-2500 can handle 220V AC, right? Are there differenet versions or does it have a switch? Do I want the 2ohm or the 4ohm version of the driver?

I have little woodworking skills, but I'm willing and eager to learn. I've made some room treatments before, corner traps and panels. Am I crazy to start on womething this big?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by atledreier; 02-24-08 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Updated title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 02-14-08, 03:11 AM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Re: My SS RL-p15 build

Sounds good. Just in case you needed more assurance, know that 260 liters and a 6" diameter port that is 30" long (or a design very close to that) has been built by a LOT of people with great results time after time.

post #3 of 67 Old 02-14-08, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Maverick

Do you have any info on the amp voltages?
Also, the box will be quite shallow and narrow (60x60cm). Will this be a problem?I know tubes are even narrower, but that's a different concept.

post #4 of 67 Old 02-14-08, 05:57 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

The EP-2500 has a dual voltage power supply and will run on 220V AC.

We're all in this together!

post #5 of 67 Old 02-14-08, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Maverick

Thanks alot. I will order some stuff next few days. Can't wait to get started!

post #6 of 67 Old 02-24-08, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Maverick

Still haven't ordered the stuff. I'm torn between the 15 and the 18, and also between LLT and IB. If I take the plunge and sell my SVS PB12+/2 I can easily get the amp and at least two drivers. There is not much difference in price between the 15 and 18, but with the 18 I'll probably never build a proper LLT for them, as they would be prohibitively large.
However, if I get the two 15s, it's likely that I will be able to get another two pretty soon, and then do a 4:1 manifold. How would a 4 x 15 IB work compared to a 2 x 18? Also, two 15s can fit in my room in LLT config.

I'm planning an EP2500 still.

I'm also loving my SVS, and I'm a little worried that if i sell it I won't be able to bring that performance back, and will be chasing rainbows forever. Sonnie, if you ever ran with a single +/2, can you honestly say you'd never go back? Or am i just being conservative here, and need to shut up and just do it? I'm currently running my +/2 in 20Hz tune. 16Hz tune give me a large bump below 20 that I can't equalize. Will this be a problem for a LLT?

Last edited by atledreier; 02-25-08 at 12:02 AM.
post #7 of 67 Old 02-25-08, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Maverick

Well, there's no way back now. I've sold my PB12+/2, and will order the RL-p15s tonight, along with an EP2500. Any last words of wisdom before I order? D2 or D4?

post #8 of 67 Old 02-25-08, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Maverick

I've downloaded WinISD pro beta, and tried modeling the RL-p15 in it. I used the 'usual' 260l, 14Hz tune, and it didn't look good at all. Excursion was way over X-max, post velocity was in the 50s, group delay peaked at around 70ms... What am I doing wrong?

post #9 of 67 Old 02-25-08, 03:09 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Which RL-p15 are you modelling, the dual 2 ohm or the dual 4 ohm?

We're all in this together!

post #10 of 67 Old 02-25-08, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Maverick

I'm not sure. The one that comes with WinISD pro alpha. Are they that different?