Current 18" options for LLT-Big Sonotube - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 34 Old 02-26-08, 03:04 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Re: Current 18" options for LLT-Big Sonotube

Different subs model differently due to thier specific parameters. What works for one may not be the best for another. Each sub has it's own requirements for the best combination of box size, tuning, and power input to get the most out of them.

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 Old 02-26-08, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Bill

Quote:
Mike P. wrote: View Post
Different subs model differently due to thier specific parameters. What works for one may not be the best for another. Each sub has it's own requirements for the best combination of box size, tuning, and power input to get the most out of them.
I agree. I might not be getting it, but my understanding is that the transfer magnitude graph in WinISD pretty much sums up a driver/box/port combo. It is very difficult to get any of these subs except the SS to behave in a smooth manner no matter the volume when trying to keep the freq at 15Hz or below. Is the "swish" (hill then valley) at the port freq a negative? Is there a better or more accurate representation of how well a driver is suited for a LLT enclosure?

It looks to me that for this price range certain 15's may outperform in a LLT environment.
post #13 of 34 Old 02-26-08, 06:28 PM
Senior Shackster

Sam

550 litres is just too big for the Mach5s and yes, the lower peak "swish" is not desirable. Rather, you want a gentle slope which will be boosted to flat, or better, a nice house curve, with the aid of room gain. Steve Callas helped me with the design of my next subs using the Mach5s:

Quote:
SteveCallas wrote: View Post
IXL 18 doesn't want a huge enclosure, and even at 400+ liters the tuning region starts to get peaky. I like the looks of ~365 liters with a ~15hz tune. You can't get away with an 8" port that way, but since it "only" has a claimed xmax of 22mm, air movement shouldn't be so bad as to cause problems. So it looks like three 4" diameter ports that are each 32" long works best. Two of those and an EP2500 will definitely do the trick. I wouldn't worry about sound quality for one second, as you'll have lots more headroom, lower distortion, much deeper extending FR, and faster overall transient response, all of which work to define accuracy. The most accurate subwoofer doesn't always sound the best subjectively though, based on what you are used to and what kind of music you like. However, over time, for a combination of both music and movies, accuracy tends to win out. A 12" simply can't keep up with two high excursion 18s in LLT form, not by a long shot.

HTPC -i5-2500k 3.3GHz|PowerDVD12 ultra,reclock|MPC-HC,ffshow,reclock|foobar,wasapi plugin|HD6970 ATI HDMI|DENON AVR-4311|B&W DM602 S3 x2 fronts|LCR600 S3 center|685 rears, heights & wides|DIY 2 x Mach 5 Audio IXL-18 sonosubs 365ltr 15hz|Behringer NU6000 sub amp|Optoma HD33 projector, DIY 100" blockout cloth screen

post #14 of 34 Old 02-27-08, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Bill

I played with the box volumes and have come up with the following. It seems that with price comes performance. And with performance/price comes volume of box for desired low Hz. I believe I understand why Steve likes the Fi over the Mach - SPL. I am still not sure what the Transfer Mag graph is telling me - efficiency???

So the question becomes how much enjoyment is there to be had by having higher output around the tuning point. I guess it is personal preference adn it can always be turned down. This is why it is all up to budget.....

*edit*-I will repost correct graphs.

Last edited by Bill 3; 02-28-08 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Remove graphs
post #15 of 34 Old 02-27-08, 02:01 PM
Elite Shackster

thxgoon

Quote:
Bill 3 wrote: View Post
So the question becomes how much enjoyment is there to be had by having higher output around the tuning point. I guess it is personal preference adn it can always be turned down. This is why it is all up to budget.....
Isn't it fun

Note that the difference in output between the woofers at 750 watts is only about a db or so. Also, the fi is cruising along at about 20mm excursion out of it's available 27mm, so it still has more to offer.

post #16 of 34 Old 02-27-08, 03:44 PM
Elite Shackster

Josh

Don't forget about the Ascendant Audio Havoc 18!
post #17 of 34 Old 02-27-08, 04:15 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Quote:
Ricci wrote: View Post
Don't forget about the Ascendant Audio Havoc 18!
I haven't modelled that one yet but I heard it didn't model that well. Have you done any modelling with this one? Just wondering if what was said is true or not.

We're all in this together!

post #18 of 34 Old 02-27-08, 04:25 PM
Elite Shackster

Josh

It doesn't model as beautifully as the RLP18(which is about as good as we've got right now), but it isn't terrible. The main thing is that you can't really tune it below about 14 or 14.5hz and still get a decent response and it likes big sealed boxes. If you are tuning in the 14.5-17hz area it is decent. 425L tuned to 15hz with an 8" port looks nice to me.

Bill3,
My graphs that I get when modeling these drivers look substantially different than what you've shown.
post #19 of 34 Old 02-27-08, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Bill

Quote:
Ricci wrote: View Post
Bill3,
My graphs that I get when modeling these drivers look substantially different than what you've shown.
Well, I have checked and double checked my inputs. I will post up what numbers I use for each driver. I was following the instructions from Collo's page on what to enter.

Qms, Re, Mms, Cms, BL, Sd, Hg, Hc, Pe (But I had to use Xmax in place of Hg,Hc,Pe)
post #20 of 34 Old 02-27-08, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Bill

FiCarAudio Q18 Dual 2
Qms-5.73
Re- 1.4 Ohm
Mms-342g
Cms-0.13 mm/N
BL - 15.1 N/A
Sd - 1210 cm^2
Xmax - 27mm