Current 18" options for LLT-Big Sonotube - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 34 Old 02-24-08, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Bill

Current 18" options for LLT-Big Sonotube

Ok, my head is spinning on which driver to use. I figure I might as well go with an 18" but some of the more talked about companies only go up to 15". I am currently looking into Mach5audio, FiCarAudio, Sound Splinter, and eD. The Sound Splinter is really above my budget, but it is all about "bang for buck". I would hate to wish I had spent just a little more.

I plan on building a 24"-30" sonotube - possibly two. Power with a Behringer EP2500 - I am hoping it is enough to feed 2. Room is in the basement and approx 15 x 32 x 8 - kind of unusual with a pool table, a bar, and hall (alongside part of it). I have Klipsch reference (RF-7) with KSW-15 woofer. It seems no matter what I build, it will blow the Klipsch sub out of the water - that is if I use the advise given here.

This "sickness" all started when I moved all my "goodies" into this room and wondered what happened to my bass. Bigger room, concrete floor, different style room alltogether I believe has take away a bunch of room gain.

All speaker/driver advise is appreciated while keep trying to learn how to use WinISD and play with Sonosub.exe

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 02-24-08, 08:44 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Re: Current 18" options for LLT-Big Sonotube

If we say the SS Rlp18 is out of the price range, I like how the FiCar Q18 behaves over the Mach5 IXL18 for just a few dollars more. It will allow you to get away with a better overall design.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #3 of 34 Old 02-25-08, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Bill

Thanks for the reply and your opinions Steve. What in this "hobby" isn't out of the price range? I am willing to go for the SS RLp 18 if I can "see" the advantages.

I really started this thread fishing for any other optionns to ad to the mix. Or maybe something new or that I haven't heard about. I did find the Ascendant Audio Havoc 18, but so far, it doesn't model as well. (I am still learning WinISD so I am double checking things).

post #4 of 34 Old 02-25-08, 08:31 PM
Senior Shackster

Sam

Acknowledging Steve's comment about overall design, if you plan on getting an EP2500, then I'd go for two sonotubes with the cheaper drivers. That way you're not wasting the power of, and so money invested in, the extra channel - you'll get higher SLPs with two sontubes when compared with one sonotube with a driver with a slightly higher Xmax (so better bang for buck overall). Also, having two sonotubes will allow a broader sweet spot for the listening area meaning a better overall experience for not only you, but also your friends and family (increasing the SAF if applicable). Two sonotubes might also be particularly helpful if you have a non-standard (rectangle) listening room shape, which can sometimes be tricky to get a good sound with only one sub. If you go a different amp and one sonotube, I'd go with Steve's suggestion but if you're comtemplating an EP2500 and 2 sonotubes, go the Mach5s

HTPC -i5-2500k 3.3GHz|PowerDVD12 ultra,reclock|MPC-HC,ffshow,reclock|foobar,wasapi plugin|HD6970 ATI HDMI|DENON AVR-4311|B&W DM602 S3 x2 fronts|LCR600 S3 center|685 rears, heights & wides|DIY 2 x Mach 5 Audio IXL-18 sonosubs 365ltr 15hz|Behringer NU6000 sub amp|Optoma HD33 projector, DIY 100" blockout cloth screen
post #5 of 34 Old 02-26-08, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Bill

I have put the Mach, SS, and FiCar in a 650 Liter enclosure with 15Hz tune all on the same graph using WinISD. I double checked my input parameters and beleive them to be correct. Now to understand what it is telling me. The SS looks the best. The Mach5 looks better than the FiCar, or am I looking at it wrong?
Attached Thumbnails
Current 18" options for LLT-Big Sonotube-winisdcompare.jpg  

Last edited by Bill 3; 02-28-08 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Corrected Graph
post #6 of 34 Old 02-26-08, 12:34 PM
Elite Shackster

thxgoon

Try adjusting the box for each driver to get the best response curve. They will all behave differently in the same box. The EP2500 should be enough to drive a single 18 and you can always bridge the amp to use both channels.

post #7 of 34 Old 02-26-08, 12:45 PM
Senior Shackster
anthony

The Mach5 is screaming for more volume in your graphs/model while the RL looks pretty good as is. Don't know what your excursion limits look like though.
post #8 of 34 Old 02-26-08, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Bill

I was trying to compare driver to driver is why I put them all in the same size box and tune freq.

Would you guys agree that the SS has a near perfect curve in this box and freq? Or do I not understand what the graph is telling me?

Here is the SPL related to the above graph. All at 500W power.
Attached Thumbnails
Current 18" options for LLT-Big Sonotube-winisdcomparespl.jpg  

Last edited by Bill 3; 02-28-08 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Corrected Graph
post #9 of 34 Old 02-26-08, 02:40 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Are they within their xmax specs with that volume and input power?

We're all in this together!

post #10 of 34 Old 02-26-08, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Bill

Giving 1000 W (800 for mach5). Yes, I believe so

OOPS, nope, the Mach5 only has a 22mm excursion.

Last edited by Bill 3; 02-28-08 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Remove Graph