Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   Ported Subwoofer Build Projects (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/ported-subwoofer-build-projects/)
-   -   Shiva-x build for noob's first (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/ported-subwoofer-build-projects/17023-shiva-x-build-noobs-first.html)

mlkmgr 02-23-09 02:17 PM

Shiva-x build for noob's first

after researching and taking the suggestions of members at another forum, i decided to proceed with a 20x24x24 (WxLxH) slot port (20x22.6x1.5) tuned to 20Hz. i am going to power the sub with a dayton 500W plate amp given i have no eq. i will be documenting my build once i get it up and running. need to order everything first and waiting for nicer weather...hopefully in the next few weeks.

do these dimensions sound about right? i modeled them in WinISD and just want to be sure before i begin. what type, if any, internal bracing would be needed for this sub? as stated, this will be my very first build and am hoping for good results.

any thoughts for a first time builder or other potential issues i should be made aware of? thanks in advance....

fackamato 02-23-09 03:03 PM

Re: Shiva-x build for noob's first

Are those outer dimensions? What's the material thickness?

Looking forward to some photos :)

mlkmgr 02-23-09 03:56 PM

yes those are the outer dimensions. was considering 3/4" MDF. trying to keep the cost down per WAF.

fackamato 02-23-09 04:01 PM

That's gonna give you great extension, probably getting you the most out of the driver as possible. (you might tune it even lower) Also see Kevin's design notes; http://www.diycable.com/main/pdf/shiva_app.pdf

mlkmgr 02-23-09 04:16 PM

looking at pdf, i see i could realistically tune the box to 18Hz. What would be the benefit or would this tuning be better considering the dayton 500W amp i am going to use? thanks for the input!

mlkmgr 02-23-09 04:17 PM

i would link to the amp but need more posts.

fackamato 02-23-09 04:22 PM

I'm not so familiar with that amp, I'd wait for someone else to make a comment ;)

How big is the room that you are placing the sub in? Any big openings to other rooms?

mlkmgr 02-23-09 04:26 PM

room is 19x10.5x9. no openings to any other areas. this sub will only be used as an HT sub.

Mike P. 02-23-09 04:58 PM

20x24x24 external is 18.5 x 22.5 x22.5 internal. That gives you 5.4 cu.ft. To tune it to 20 hz with a slot port the full width of the box and 1.5 inches high means the port has to be 41 inches long. The port would take up one cu.ft. so the box is now 4.4 cu.ft. The port air speed with the amp your considering (3rd order HPF at 18hz) would be 14 m/s. The same performance can be had with a slot port 9 x 2 by 21.5 inches long. The port airspeed would increase to 25 m/s which is under 26 m/s where port compression starts.

mlkmgr 02-23-09 06:10 PM

ok, maybe i am understanding this incorrectly. i modeled the box in WinISD, but perhaps my understanding of that program is not a great as i thought!! would i be better off increasing all lengths of the enclosures by 1.5"; making the external dimensions 21.5x25.5x25.5? this would allow me to keep the slot port the full length of the box at 25.5 and still be 1.25" high correct?

and HERE is the link to the amp.