Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   Ported Subwoofer Build Projects (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/ported-subwoofer-build-projects/)
-   -   Sonosub Build, wife is going to be really happy! (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/ported-subwoofer-build-projects/17239-sonosub-build-wife-going-really-happy.html)

Cind3r 03-02-09 11:16 PM

Sonosub Build, wife is going to be really happy!

Hi all,
After reading many a build thread and countless articles I finally decided to build a sonosub. My hats off to Steve Callas and ssabripo (Lord of Bass) and many others that share their experiences so we all can learn.

I am basically going to copy what Bill3 did here a while back, except my tube is going to be a little taller.
I got a 30" tube @ 72" tall, 8" port about 31" long in sonotube for about a 12hz tune at about 749l. hopefully a Q18 will be here in the next few days. I plan on powering this with an EP2500 that I will be ordering later on this week. I would like a little input on the tune if you guys think its to low. I modeled it a little and from my limited understanding of WinsISD I should be OK. Input always welcome.

I probably wont get to start on my endcaps till this weekend where I will try and post some pics of my progress.

*Edit* I changed the size to 68" tall and a port length of 30" for ~13HZ and ~700L

Mike P. 03-03-09 04:24 PM

Re: Sonosub Build, wife is going to be really happy!

1 Attachment(s)
The advantage of tuning that low is you probably won't need a High Pass Filter. The disadvantage is you're giving up a lot of SPL from 14 hz and up compared to a 16 hz tuning with a HPF at 15 hz.

Attachment 12941

Cind3r 03-03-09 06:13 PM

exactly the input I was looking for, thanks for pointing that out. I was mainly looking at excursion and not so much SPL.

Thanks

Bill 3 03-03-09 07:43 PM

So your wife likes a lot of :hsd:

:bigsmile:

Cind3r 03-03-09 11:22 PM

Well I am trying to be a little sarcastic but its one of those things where I always have a few projects going on and I started to describe this one and she went back to watching TV mumbling something like whatever...:newspaper:

Whelp it got her attention when she pulled in the garage and saw this
http://www.hometheatershack.com/gall...ll/1_Tubby.jpg

Bill 3 03-04-09 06:48 AM

Where's the other one? :devil::hide:

Not sure if this will help, but I have a lot of room gain around the 10Hz area. I can't remember if I have any graphs posted here, but I will try and get some up for you to look at. My room is in the basement with concrete floor, approx 4000 sq.ft.. Pool table, pub tables and chairs, sofas, etc. -not a dedicated theater room and no room treatments.

Mike P. 03-04-09 10:04 AM

If the tube is 72" tall, subtract 1.5 for the endcaps = 70.5". That's an internal volume of 817 liters. You'll have yo do some calculations for the port length to get a 16 hz tuning after all subtractions are done. Or cut the tube down so the final net volume is 750 liters.

Cind3r 03-04-09 11:41 AM

I was mainly going to go off of sonosub.exe numbers for a port length. Actually my thought was to make the port a little long to give me some room to experiment.

Another queston I have is I plan on using an 8" port, but would there be any advantage or disadvantage in using a 10"er?

Thanks for the comments and I would appreciate any graphs you have if its not to much trouble. I need to brush up in my REW before I get this thing done.

Mike P. 03-04-09 11:54 AM

Yup, sonosub.exe is the way to go, it makes it so easy with all the lengths figured out for you. The advantage of a 10 inch port is lower air speed, the disadvantage is longer port length which is only a problem if there isn't enough room between the end of the port and the back of the sub. Graphs are no trouble, which ones do you want?

Cind3r 03-04-09 12:57 PM

Yes I agree that it is such a kewl program

In your opinion, what would you go with an 8" or a 10" I would like to add that I plan on using a flare on both ends no matter what diameter I use.

My responce about graphs was directed to Bill about some in room measurements that he was going to try and dig up, I should have worded that better sorry for the confusion.:duh: