Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   Ported Subwoofer Build Projects (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/ported-subwoofer-build-projects/)
-   -   UPDATED (w/pics) Dual RE SE-12 End table sub build... (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/ported-subwoofer-build-projects/25572-updated-w-pics-dual-re-se-12-end-table-sub-build.html)

talunceford 02-07-10 02:40 PM

UPDATED (w/pics) Dual RE SE-12 End table sub build...

2 Attachment(s)
Hey all,

First time poster here. I have to say that this is a great forum! Lots of GREAT advice and examples to get ideas from!

Here is my current project. Basically it is a 7 cu.ft. ported enclosure tuned to 20hz. The net volume is a tad over 6 cu ft. I am currently planning on powering it with the Dayton 1024 watt plate amp. I will have a hp filter set at 18hz. That setting seems to give me the best response curve. The enclosure will be constructed out of 1" MDF with the appropriate bracing. In the picture I haven't finalized the bracing design yet, so please disregard what you see there as far as the bracing goes. The enclosure will be covered in red oak veneer and stained to match my entertainment center. I will post pics once the construction begins.

One question though, what is the typical room gain for a sub? I have mine in the modeling program set to +3db at 60hz. I haven't messed with room gain before, so its new to me. Anyone have any advice on this?

Thanks in advance for your help, and thanks for looking!

Here is the rendering and the pdf of the bb6 design.

Moonfly 02-07-10 05:22 PM

Re: Dual RE SE-12 End table sub build...

Hi Talunceford, welcome to the forums :wave:

I have to say I'm impressed with your image, top marks on that. This indeed looks an interesting project. Generally room gain will yield upto 6db of gain, but it different in different rooms. If you work to +3db as you are you wont be that far out, and may have a pleasant surprise from the final product if you get more :T

Your cabinet ideas all look good, 1" MDF is what I use and a properly constructed cabinet is very solid (and heavy). I look forward to keeping up with what you have planned!

talunceford 02-07-10 07:34 PM

Thanks moonfly for your comment. I am really excited to get this project under way. I will start cutting the pieces tomorrow. I have access to a panel saw and should have them cut in short order. The way I have it figured up, I think I will use approx 1 3/4 sheets of 1" MDF. Maybe a tad less than that. I will take pics once I get started.

talunceford 02-07-10 07:37 PM

Oh and the rendering... LOL, I was in the civil engineering field for over 15 years as a cad tech, I don't know how to do anything that doesn't look like that. I model things as accurately as I possibly can the first time around and make sure that they fit the first time without mistakes. I guess all of the engineers that I have been around drilled that into my head LOL!

Thanks again!

Moonfly 02-08-10 02:51 AM

If your cutting your panels to specific sizes then thats great, but if you intend to cut panels for the braces, then cut the windowed parts out, you need to make sure the brace panels arent exact size. Make them a couple millimetres smaller than the computer says they should be. In the real world you can fit a brace with no gap at all between it and the outer panels of the box.

Another way around that is to use a router to put a small trench on the inside of the outer panels for you brace to sit into. There is a bit more work in that method though, although it's the better way to do it IMO.

Moonfly 02-08-10 02:53 AM

Quote:

talunceford wrote: (Post 234114)
Oh and the rendering... LOL, I was in the civil engineering field for over 15 years as a cad tech, I don't know how to do anything that doesn't look like that. I model things as accurately as I possibly can the first time around and make sure that they fit the first time without mistakes. I guess all of the engineers that I have been around drilled that into my head LOL!

Thanks again!

I actually automatically clicked that image to ty spin it and look at it from a different angle :D :dumbcrazy:

talunceford 02-09-10 02:41 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Construction started today at lunch. I have nearly all the major cuts done. 1" MDF is some HEAVY stuff! Thanks to my buddy James for helping out! I also have a few updated renders of the enclosure with the new bracing design. Here they are.

Moonfly 02-09-10 02:45 PM

Wow, excellent images. This sub is going to be a great addition to the room.

talunceford 02-09-10 02:49 PM

One thing I didn't mention is that I will have construction photos up as soon as they come in. I will post what I have photo wise when I get home from work today.

Mike P. 02-09-10 03:06 PM

Looking forward to it!