Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   Ported Subwoofer Build Projects (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/ported-subwoofer-build-projects/)
-   -   IXL 18.2.2 HT Build (10.0 cu ft 15hz) (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/ported-subwoofer-build-projects/46520-ixl-18-2-2-ht-build-10-0-cu-ft-15hz.html)

GPHammer 05-30-11 07:22 PM

IXL 18.2.2 HT Build (10.0 cu ft 15hz)

3 Attachment(s)
Hello

After months of reading on this forum and weeks of working with Graham Perkins (another Graham Perkins design) I have started to build 4 IXL 18.2.2 10 cubic foot subs tuned down to 15hz. I have all the parts with the exception of the 2 Berhinger EP4000's. These subs are to replace one 12 inch Polk Audio sub. My speakers are DIY Jim Holtz Statements, full size, mini's and center.

All parts are cut, internal port is painted, it took forever to square up and round over the cutouts for the internal bracing.

I plan to start assembling them tomorrow, Tuesday.

Gregg

Mike P. 05-30-11 07:45 PM

Re: IXL 18.2.2 HT Build (10.0 cu ft 15hz)

Looking forward to your build!

doc5150 05-30-11 08:03 PM

Looking good! reminds myself to start my build thread too when time permits.

gperkins_1973 05-31-11 01:53 PM

Gregg,

Great to see the build on here. That brace cutting is amazing mate. Really impressed.

This is going to be very interesting indeed when they are in the room.

Great stuff.

cheers

Graham

dcmartinpc 05-31-11 02:01 PM

Nice build! Did you cut the bracing on a CNC router? It looks phenomenal! Just curious how you pulled that off!

Don

GPHammer 05-31-11 07:07 PM

Quote:

dcmartinpc wrote: (Post 439857)
Nice build! Did you cut the bracing on a CNC router? It looks phenomenal! Just curious how you pulled that off!

Don

I was not kidding when I said it took forever to cut the holes in the bracing, 30 hours or so, once the first one is done it gets easier. First I rough cut the hole with a jig saw, than I made templates out of one inch strips I ripped on the table saw, used a 4 inch machinist square to make the template cut outs square. I used double sided tape to hold the template in place until I got lazy, than I just screwed the template on. After that I used a router with a flush trim bearing bit and just followed the template. At that point the holes are square, I removed the template and used a 3/8 roundover bit in my router to finish it off.
I do really appreciate the compliment, thank you.

Gregg

dcmartinpc 05-31-11 11:28 PM

Quote:

GPHammer wrote:

I was not kidding when I said it took forever to cut the holes in the bracing, 30 hours or so, once the first one is done it gets easier. First I rough cut the hole with a jig saw, than I made templates out of one inch strips I ripped on the table saw, used a 4 inch machinist square to make the template cut outs square. I used double sided tape to hold the template in place until I got lazy, than I just screwed the template on. After that I used a router with a flush trim bearing bit and just followed the template. At that point the holes are square, I removed the template and used a 3/8 roundover bit in my router to finish it off.
I do really appreciate the compliment, thank you.

Gregg

I must say kudos to you!!! I don't think I have that much patience in my whole body! I almost threw something tonight just clamping, gluing, and screwing 2 pieces of baffle together! Only 5 more double baffles to go! I think I have several nights of frustration ahead of me :(

Again, very nice craftsmanship and I can't wait to see some progress pics. If the rest of the build looks half as good as your bracing, I bet we are all in for a treat.

Don

GPHammer 06-01-11 08:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well I got a little more complete the last 2 nights, glued all bracing, installed T-nuts for the woofers and mounted the front baffles on 2 of the cabinets. I am building from the front to the back because I pre cut all my wood I want the errors to be at the back of the speakers.

And Don, I have been known to throw a tool or two in my time. At my age now, I just put the tools down and go in the house.

I plan to install 2 inch pyramid foam as I go, does anybody put the foam on the bracing or just the top, back and side of the cabinet.

Gregg

gperkins_1973 06-02-11 12:26 AM

Super stuff mate. Real good job!

dcmartinpc 06-02-11 10:59 AM

Looking great! What type of glue did you use?

Don