3 or 4 channel amp - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
 1Likes

post #11 of 17 Old 01-14-17, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System
Re: 3 or 4 channel amp

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
No benafit to adding an external amp. The Yamaha would have no issues driving the soround channels. Unless you plan on driving those speakers well above reference levels even 100watts per ch would be more than enough.
The front three channels would use the most resources and you have those on the external amps so your good to go.
You have very valid points using common sense I would have to agree with you. If I were to use common sense the system would have never come this far so as it stands your point is well taken but I think a future upgrade will be a 4 ch. amp to power the Volts. I do appreciate your input at least to me when I had the Volts hooked up as mains being powered by the Samson amps they sounded better then they do now with the AVR powering them. Before you suggest I set the gains on the amps and set the trims on the AVR to 75db even went as far and measured the distances to the MLP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 01-14-17, 11:43 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Im in no way saying that you are overkill with running external amps as I even power my mains with a Samson servo600 amp. All I am saying is the receiver has enough juice to do the rest.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #13 of 17 Old 01-14-17, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
Im in no way saying that you are overkill with running external amps as I even power my mains with a Samson servo600 amp. All I am saying is the receiver has enough juice to do the rest.
We are in agreement the AVR does have enough for most but its almost like some that are on the fence between a 15" sub and an 18" sub they both will do the job but the 18 will do a little more. If I was worried about overkill I should have stopped awhile ago where I have my amps located in my entertainment center I have an opening for an amp so why not. If I do not get it I will always wonder what if?? I am also sure if I get I will also ask myself did I really need it?? The only way for sure is to get it and if by chance it does not make a difference then I can use it to power my 4 Infinity 1262's.

post #14 of 17 Old 01-14-17, 04:05 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Yes but comparing a 15" and an 18" driver is not the same the 18" can simply move more air. If the receiver is rated to do 130watts per channel in reality if your only using it to power the soround channels then even if it was only able to maintain 100watts per channel you would never reach that output even if you pushed the amp welll past 90db on just those soround channels you would be using far less.
But if another amp makes you happy then go for it. It's not my money your spending

On most receivers it's the power supply that can't drive all the amps within them so offloading the fronts is advantageous but after that you have to ask if the juice is worth the squeeze.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #15 of 17 Old 01-14-17, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

I decided to rethink did some more reading talked to a friend of mine you are correct. The bottom line the Volts only have a 6" drvr so no matter how hard I push them only so much sound is going to come out. In this case my Yamaha even if its over rated at 140wpc does a decent job of driving them. The kid in me wants more but being older I sometimes have to listen to reason and this time reason wins.My problem which will be corrected in a couple of weeks I have 1 pair of Volts as the side surrounds and the rear surrounds are Polk Audio Rt-35"s. The Volts sound so much better. I need to order 1 Volt to complete the 2nd pair then with both pairs of the Volts as my surrounds it should improve.
post #16 of 17 Old 01-14-17, 10:27 PM
Elite Shackster

Ron

My System

Have you done any room treatments yet... IMO it will make the biggest difference to the way your setup sounds, and you can do it pretty cheap as a DIY.

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (4) Klipsch RP160MS, (4) JBL 8340As, (2) Yamaha P2500s amps, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #17 of 17 Old 01-15-17, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

I am interested but after doing a lot of reading watched a video did some more reading it seems I do not have enough room to add any? According to a video I watched a wall should have approx. 20 -25% of either absorption or diffuser panels if that is the case the way my living room is what wall space I have left will be cluttered with all the panels and this does not include bass traps. I also read someone had asked the same question concerning his living room and the response was good and bad bad because its the living room but good because with carpet and furniture it will help. So that is as far as I got.