IsoAcoustics Inc. Aperta and Modular Aluminum Speaker Stand Review Discussion Thread - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #11 of 29 Old 12-01-15, 08:43 AM
Elite Shackster

Re: IsoAcoustics Inc. Aperta and Modular Aluminum Speaker Stand Review Discussion Thread

I think your main difference in the audible differences will be heard over the 2 channel listening due to the stereo imaging. The decoupling/isolation provides less lateral movement keeping the voice coils/cones more inline than if they were just sitting on the floor/carpet. One key point I read in your review is by using this product you then can fine tune the alignment of the speaker and I'm assuming much finer/precision than just using spikes under a speaker which are rudimentary in their ability to achieve perfect alignment. Could this better alignment attribute more to the audible differences than the isolation itself?

I suppose what I'm saying is... do we need isolation on the speakers as much as we need critical alignment... so if we had a stand that would allow easy precision adjustments on 5 axis (front/rear, side/side, up/down, tilt forward/reverse, tilt left/right) Something much easier to dial in than adjusting 4 spikes to get this accuracy.... which is why my uncle also says using the maple blocks aids in the fine tuning due to providing a hard surface vs. carpet to work with.

Master Electrician

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

XPA-7 & Krell Showcase 7 | XMC-1 | SVS Ultra Tower system | HSU VTF-15H MK2 | BenQ W1070 | Jamestown 135"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 Old 12-01-15, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System
Re: IsoAcoustics Inc. Aperta and Modular Aluminum Speaker Stand Review Discussion Thread

There are lots of critical adjustments that can be made to speakers, each one bringing out better sound. Obviously, alignment is key. Getting speakers away from boundaries is another. Most HTS members, including yourself, are probably well aware of these various factors...so, I agree with you that positioning is a big deal. What the isolation stands introduce, more than anything, is managing the response of the speaker in the fore and aft direction, while resisting lateral movement which can cause a bobble-head like movement and lost focus.

I did touch on positioning in the review. These stands can be ordered to be much taller than the ones I reviewed (and can be adjusted to tilt)...so, technically, you place them on speaker stands, a desktop, etc, and truly align tweeter levels with ear level (if that's what you're aiming for).
post #13 of 29 Old 12-02-15, 09:56 AM
Senior Shackster

Ethan Winer

Lightbulb Re: IsoAcoustics Inc. Aperta and Modular Aluminum Speaker Stand Review Discussion Thread

Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
The biggest roadblock is separating true game changers from snake oil prior to opening the wallet
I agree. Would you be willing to run Room EQ Wizard with and without one of these stands in place? I suppose the easiest test for you is with just one speaker playing, and the center makes sense because it's full range rather than just bass (subwoofer). You'll need a block of wood or a few books the same height as the isolating stand, because speaker height affects the response. A test like this would be much more valuable to me than subjective assessment, and I presume more valuable to others too.

Thanks!

--Ethan

Focal Press Book:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #14 of 29 Old 12-02-15, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System

Quote:
Ethan Winer wrote: View Post
I agree. Would you be willing to run Room EQ Wizard with and without one of these stands in place? I suppose the easiest test for you is with just one speaker playing, and the center makes sense because it's full range rather than just bass (subwoofer). You'll need a block of wood or a few books the same height as the isolating stand, because speaker height affects the response. A test like this would be much more valuable to me than subjective assessment, and I presume more valuable to others too.

Thanks!

--Ethan

Hi Ethan,

I did take measurements...with speakers height adjusted to keep it an even playing ground. Below are images (1/3 smoothing) of subwoofer only, two-channel (full range), and two-channel with subs.

Regards, Todd

post #15 of 29 Old 12-02-15, 11:52 AM
Senior Shackster

Ethan Winer

Lightbulb Re: IsoAcoustics Inc. Aperta and Modular Aluminum Speaker Stand Review Discussion Thread

Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
I did take measurements...with speakers height adjusted to keep it an even playing ground. Below are images (1/3 smoothing) of subwoofer only, two-channel (full range), and two-channel with subs.
Excellent! Thanks Todd. But now you got me really curious.

Since you have the data, can you post the same with no smoothing, and also hi-res waterfalls? Or better still, would you be willing to post the mdat files? This is something I've always been curious about, and nobody that I know of has ever measured isolation type speaker stands.

--Ethan

Focal Press Book:
post #16 of 29 Old 12-02-15, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System

Shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll send the files to you...would be great to have your expert eyes look them over...perhaps you can post some of the results you find interesting?
post #17 of 29 Old 12-02-15, 12:44 PM
Senior Shackster

Ethan Winer

Great, thanks, Done.

Last question for now: How well treated (acoustically) is the room where you did these tests?

--Ethan

Focal Press Book:
post #18 of 29 Old 12-02-15, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System

I'll get those to you later today!

As for the room...it's a 12X17X8 dedicated room, carpeted with pad.

Front wall corner traps: 54" tall and 24" wide - 8" thick absorption
Two front wall panels: 48"X24" - 4" thick absorption
Rear wall corner traps: 54" tall and 24" wide - 8" thick absorption, FRK facing
Rear wall binary slat diffuser - 6-feet wide, 5-feet high, with 2" thick absorption. centered on wall (1-ft from wall)
First Reflection points on walls treated with 2" absorption panels.

The room is completely blacked out, with minimal lighting, so pictures really are tough...but here are some images of the kinds corner traps and the rear wall diffuser/absorption panel after they were made...

post #19 of 29 Old 12-02-15, 01:20 PM
Senior Shackster

Ethan Winer

Awesome, thanks Todd.

Focal Press Book:
post #20 of 29 Old 12-02-15, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System

Thank you, Ethan! Look forward to hearing if you see anything of interest in the data.