IsoAcoustics Inc. Aperta and Modular Aluminum Speaker Stand Review Discussion Thread - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #21 of 29 Old 12-02-15, 02:15 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System
Re: IsoAcoustics Inc. Aperta and Modular Aluminum Speaker Stand Review Discussion Thread

Thanks, Todd, great review. This looks like a product that actually preforms.

And thanks Ethan! This could be turing into a special thread. It would be nice if you could add other product reviews with real world comparisons. Really nice if Ethan would keep deciphering data or show you how he does it (thinking "Sticky" with different products under it). Even more so since he says that NOBODY ELSE is doing it! This is the stuff that has made HTS such a great site!

Again, great work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 Old 12-02-15, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System
Re: IsoAcoustics Inc. Aperta and Modular Aluminum Speaker Stand Review Discussion Thread

Thanks Quentin - It's definitely a great product and Dave Morrison is an incredibly nice guy and passionate about what IsoAcoustics is manufacturing. I hope a few members dip their toes into the pool and report back... and it is great to have folks like Ethan putting their own spin on results. Hoping he finds something of interest buried in the graphs.
post #23 of 29 Old 12-03-15, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System

I just received confirmation from IsoAcoustics concerning confirmed show dates for the coming year:

They are confirmed for CES, Axpona, RMAF and the Munich High End Show.

There is a good chance they will have a presence at the Newport Beach show and possibly Capitol Audio Fest and the New York Audio Show as well.

post #24 of 29 Old 12-04-15, 07:51 AM
Elite Shackster

I sent my uncle a link to have him take a look and this was his comment:

"Old technology done a different way. MAPLESHADE is the answer. 40 yrs. of every tweak there is and I am sold."

Master Electrician

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

XPA-7 & Krell Showcase 7 | XMC-1 | SVS Ultra Tower system | HSU VTF-15H MK2 | BenQ W1070 | Jamestown 135"
post #25 of 29 Old 12-04-15, 09:51 AM
Elite Shackster

TC

My System

Sent them an email on 11/30. No response yet. OK, I just called and they said they would try and get back to me today.

Onkyo TX-NR809 HT receiver
HPS-4000,SR-70, John Allen, Klipsch Heresy, Speakers for L.C.R.
QSC GX-5 power amp for L+R mains
Chase Home Theater PRO-10's for surrounds
Behringer EP 4000 pro amp for the Danley DTS-10 tapped horn sub
Oppo BDP-93 universal BD player
Toshiba HD XA2 HD dvd player
Sony VW-VPLPRO1 1080p PJ
Cinema White 1.0 gain 106" fixed frame screen
Dish network with 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey

Last edited by tcarcio; 12-04-15 at 10:00 AM.
post #26 of 29 Old 12-07-15, 02:33 PM
Senior Shackster

Ethan Winer

Lightbulb Re: IsoAcoustics Inc. Aperta and Modular Aluminum Speaker Stand Review Discussion Thread

Thanks for your patience. As it happens, right after I posted asking Todd for measurements, I got swamped with a huge job editing a 2-hour music concert video for a friend. That's now done, and I have REW open with Todd's data in front of me. But I'm having trouble making sense of it. Todd, the sub-only comparison you posted shows a 5 dB volume difference over the "usable" bass range above 10 Hz. I don't understand how propping a sub up on a platform could reduce its output by 5 dB. 1 dB or less I guess could make sense. But 5 dB? Is there any chance something else changed?

For the 2-channel test the differences are all above the frequency range I'd expect a "vibration" product could make a difference. There's a small difference around 400 Hz, then not much difference until we get to 5 or 6 KHz. At those high frequencies, moving the speaker or microphone even half an inch could account for changes that large.

I also saved a waterfall decay times overlay, attached below, showing the 2-channel comparison with and without the stands. There is some difference in decay times, but it's really tiny so it's hard to imagine the difference could be audible. Since isolation stands like this claim to address "vibration problems," I'd expect a waterfall to be the most revealing of any differences!

Todd, I assume you don't live anywhere near me in western Connecticut, but if I'm wrong I'd be pleased to visit you and try a test together (if you still have the stands).

BTW, when looking for your location I noticed you listed solid state pinball as your first interest. My wife and I are huge into pinball, and every day we play our four vintage (solid state with CPU) machines ranging from 1979 (Gorgar) to 1994 (Rescue 911). If you're ever in my area please stop by to visit and play pinball.

--Ethan

Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
I did take measurements...with speakers height adjusted to keep it an even playing ground. Below are images (1/3 smoothing) of subwoofer only, two-channel (full range), and two-channel with subs.

Attached Thumbnails
IsoAcoustics Inc. Aperta and Modular Aluminum Speaker Stand Review Discussion Thread-todd-waterfall.gif  

Focal Press Book:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #27 of 29 Old 12-07-15, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System
Hi Ethan! Let me run the sub test again...and I'll send you the file....I ran a lot of sweeps - perhaps I erroneously deleted matching tests in the shuffle? Unfortunately, we are separated by quite a few miles. I'll send you PM.

And, yes... Pinball is one of my passions... Right now I have a 10 game collection with games like 1981's Black Hole... Up through Williams era games like Bram Stokers Dracula and Addams Family... To recent Stern's like Star Trek and Jersey Jack's Wizard of Oz. I enjoy restoring machines and do some repair work locally when I have time. Likewise, if you ever find yourself in DC, let me know!
post #28 of 29 Old 02-05-16, 02:45 PM
Senior Shackster

Ethan Winer

Rather than tack on my analysis and tests to this thread, I started a new thread:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...ml#post1384906

Thanks Todd for the inspiration to do this, and for the loan of the Aperta. I'll get it in the mail back to you next week.

--Ethan
ellisr63 likes this.

Focal Press Book:
post #29 of 29 Old 02-12-16, 10:51 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Reviewing tweaks is a difficult task you did very well!
Just hypothesizing, likely it made less of a difference to the center channel since it is horizontal. By being horizontal the cabinet mass and driver forces are close to the mount and the mount works only along the driver axis whereas, on floorstanders, the speakers tries to "rock" front to back and makes use of the vertical stiffness/damping of the dampers as well.