Recommend a dumb, dumb, dumb HDMI switch? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 10 Old 02-17-17, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Recommend a dumb, dumb, dumb HDMI switch?

Every HDMI switch I have seen for sale has one or more "automatic" features whereby it will switch inputs on some condition.

I don't want that.

I want a switch with a minimum of three inputs that stays set to the input I choose on the remote, no matter what other inputs get plugged in, pulled out, or powered up. Period. I want a switch that stays put, like one of those 1990s KVM switches with the manual A/B/C knob, only with a remote control.

Massive extra points if the switch responds with an "no display attached" indication to any input that is NOT currently chosen. (I don't want windows relocating themselves onto a "screen" that isn't currently visible.)

I'm tired of wasting money on switches that have "hidden" automatic features that rear up and bite me after I've bought them. Just set a new one up today that the vendor swore had no automatic features and would "stay put"... and it doesn't.

Recommendations heartily appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-17-17, 09:52 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Re: Recommend a dumb, dumb, dumb HDMI switch?

This one should do the job
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=6416

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #3 of 10 Old 02-17-17, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Somewhat crestfallen, since two of the three unsatisfactory switches I have used previously were from Monoprice. I will direct "a series of probing questions" to the folks at Monoprice, and make the purchase if I'm happy with the answers. Thank you!

Meanwhile, if anyone else has suggestions of other products, I'd love to have more alternatives to choose from.

post #4 of 10 Old 02-17-17, 10:30 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Try this one
https://www.amazon.com/Zettaguard-Wi...ds=hdmi+switch

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #5 of 10 Old 02-17-17, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Sorry -- from the Q&A section:

Quote:
If one input port is active, what happens when a device connected to a different input turns on - does it auto switch? (ex. DVR turns on to record)

Answer: Yes. This is actually something I have had an issue with. My PS3 will turn on to do its autobackup while I am playing on my PS4 and the switch will automatically go to that input.
This is precisely one of the behaviors that I am trying to avoid.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-24-17, 03:23 PM
Elite Shackster

RTS100x5

This is the one i install on my jobs that require a switch Henry - for the very reasons your needing and its HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0 supports 4K UHD and its not expensive - NO AUTO SENSE is the main reason...

https://www.amazon.com/E-SDS-Switch-...ds+hdmi+switch
post #7 of 10 Old 02-24-17, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

That's a fantastic find, thank you! Can you tell me if it also offers the behavior of informing an input device that is being deselected that the display has been disconnected, or does it (like many other switches) simply act as if a "virtual display" is still present and active (that nobody can physically see)?
post #8 of 10 Old 02-24-17, 05:07 PM
Elite Shackster

RTS100x5

Honestly I don't know the answer to that question sorry .... Will try to find out
post #9 of 10 Old 03-27-18, 07:30 PM
Shackster

This is one of the dumbest switch I recommend, but it's also a matrix. I use it at home and it does not have auto-switching. https://bzbexpress.com/SB-5645AK-4x4...-Shinybow.html
post #10 of 10 Old 03-27-18, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Big gap between $50 and $700. Out of my league, thank you. Plus, I don't need the multiple output capability.

I bought the one recommended above from Amazon; it worked fine for most of a year, but now won't take input from my MacBook Pro on any input jack. Three weeks out of warranty. The MBP works fine on the same cable plugged directly into the display, or through a different HDMI switch. &^%#^%!