X10 Lighting Control - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 17 Old 06-24-11, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

X10 Lighting Control

I am looking for some simple lighting control, the X10 product looks pretty inexpensive will it give me any dimming marco abilities? I would like to have a couple of different dimming modes for my theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-24-11, 04:13 PM
Elite Shackster

bigbadbill

Re: X10 Lighting Control

Welcome to HTS

I am sure someone here will be able to suggest possible solutions.

Cheers,
Bill.

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

DIY completed:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #3 of 17 Old 06-24-11, 04:44 PM
Senior Shackster

There is a reason it is so inexpensive, there is no "intelligence" built into the X10 units as they are designed to be automated thru PC applications or automation controllers.

The cheapest reliable lighting option I have used would be a Lutron Spacer system which is IR controllable and has multiple presets which can be adjusted.

What remote control solution will you be using in your theater? That would be where I look first to see what will work best in your particular application.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ISF Certified, HAA Trained, THX Installer I, Crestron Level II programmer, URC and RTI trained.
And various others but too much to list.

post #4 of 17 Old 06-24-11, 04:53 PM
Elite Shackster
HTS Moderator Emeritus

Anthony

I have X10 and some Lutron products.

X10 is cheap, but the operation and debugging is completely on you. Plus for higher-wattage installations, I've found their dimmers to be unreliable. Lutron stuff has been rock solid, but more expensive.
post #5 of 17 Old 06-24-11, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

The Lutron product looks good for sure, I was hoping to pick up a smart remote that has the ability to control either the X10 product or I guess the Lutron. The scene control for sure is something I would like but I am only dealing with 1 wall switch that would control my ceiling lighting and probally 3 retro fit wall sconces that will be plugged into the wall outlets so I guess I would need 3 dimmable wall socket modules as well. Not sure what smart remotes have lighting control module brand recognition, for instance would a Harmony smart remote control the Lutron dimmers?

So the kit I am looking for is;
1 wall dimmer switch
3 wall outlet dimmer modules
post #6 of 17 Old 07-07-11, 06:37 AM
Elite Shackster
HTS Moderator Emeritus

Anthony

Any remote that learns should be able to control your lighting. If you are lucky, the codes are available online, if not, you may have to buy the remote for the lighting and then use it to program your universal remote. That's what I had to do for my X10 stuff.
post #7 of 17 Old 07-07-11, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks Anthony, how do you like your x10 stuff do you find it reliable for the most part?
post #8 of 17 Old 07-07-11, 09:23 AM
Elite Shackster
HTS Moderator Emeritus

Anthony

Wall modules and the more expensive dimmers are great. Cheap dimmers and some of the other units burned out quite a bit.

I also found that most of my problems were related to noise on the power line. A compact florescent bulb near a module on the circuit made it not function. When I was in a townhouse I had intermittent problems with the signals not getting through.

Since I moved, though most of the stuff works great. My alarm is far away from most of my light dimmers and the signals get through (it turns on porch lights and entry lights on timers/door opening).
post #9 of 17 Old 07-27-11, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

So I made the plunge and bought a smatering of X10 components for my HT. It arrived yesterday and I installed the wall modules to a couple of lamps and no problem. The smart remote that came wth the system opererates and dims the lamps perfectly. I then installed one of the wall switch dimmers and noticed a buzzing noise when the module was in anything but a 100% on or off state. Very annoying the wall switch controls 3 ceiling fixtures. I have yet to try and balance the bulb wattage in the fixtures but that is my next step. As it stands the wall switch at a dimmed state is way to noisy for my Home Theater.
post #10 of 17 Old 07-27-11, 01:48 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Is the total wattage of your ceiling fixtures close to or exceeding the rating of the dimmer?

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.