iPad as Remote - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 44 Old 07-02-12, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

frank

iPad as Remote

I have decided to use my iPad as a remote for my dedicated HT.
I have previously owned two remotes since the completion of my HT in 2002.
The first remote I owned was the Pronto which I loved especially since I was able to program it myself. The only drawback that remote had was the black and white screen as opposed to color. It worked flawlessly and I made the mistake of selling it and I thought I would step up to the Universal 3000 Remote. I thought that the 3000 had a good feel to it and was easy to handle but I soon realized that programing it was much more than I bargained for. The salesman warned me of this and tried to persuade me into buying a Harmony.
That was a mistake. I had to pay $300.00 for someone to program the 3000 and then I was buying new equipment and found myself just throwing money away.
I had shot myself in the foot.
Now I have six remotes and a recently purchased the iPad.
I have been searching the internet and looking on forums to see what people are using. It seems that their are a lot of people using Roomie. It looks very well planed out and has received good reviews.
There are many remotes out there for the iPad. Roomie, Beacon, Red Eye and Unity Remote from Gear4.

I am interested in the Unity remote by Gear4. It does NOT use emitters and has a 360 degree coverage. The unit price range is from $79.00-$100.00. I have also have seen them used on Amazon for $35.00 plus shipping.

I would like to know if their is anyone out there who has used this device as their romote and also if their are people on this forum who used their iPad as a remote for their HT system what App are you using.

Thanks,
Frank

Mitsubishi HC6800/Da Lite Screen
Outlaw 990/7700,
Emotiva XPA1 x2
B&W 804S mains/HTM3S CTR,3-DS7's surrounds/rear center
JL Audio Fathom 110,113
Sony 777 multi disc DVD player,Oppo BDP93
Comcast/Cisco Hub,Audio8,Monster,Tributaries power cord,BJC,Legend Audio
Furman Elite,Bryston BDA1 DAC,Chordette

http://community.webshots.com/user/rubbersoul662001[/url]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 07-03-12, 08:53 AM
Elite Shackster

Gary

My System
Re: iPad as Remote

I don't have an iPad, but I did a search and found this. I'm not sure if it helps, but I hope that it answers some questions that you may have.

I'm sure that someone will chime-in with more info, too.
post #3 of 44 Old 07-03-12, 02:23 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

I don't have an iPad either but have heard about the iRule app: http://www.iruleathome.com/

Don't know much about it but it might be worth looking into.

post #4 of 44 Old 07-05-12, 12:49 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

I have an ipad and use this:
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/remote...s/harmony-link

found it on ebay for $50, it is okay, like my harmony one better. The macros can not be programmed like the harmony one, so I have to turn on my pro amps with my x-10 remote. I do like the interface and being able to see a preview of what is on and a description. It is just like the guide on the cable box. Do not really use it a lot. My Ipad is used a lot for work so more of a novelty right now!

11, it is one louder.
post #5 of 44 Old 07-05-12, 01:06 PM

I use touchsquid with a wifi to IR emitter on my android devices. It's super simple.
post #6 of 44 Old 07-05-12, 01:52 PM
Shackster

Home Theater Magazine just gave the Zero1.tv Voomote Zapper Universal Remote Control 14.5/15 stars, $70.

http://www.voomote.tv/en/
post #7 of 44 Old 07-09-12, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

frank

Sorry about not getting back to everyone. I've been pretty busy.
Thanks for all of the suggestions.
I am familiar with some of the suggestions except Touchsquid which I intend to look into.
So far the Roomie has my attention.
It's a little involved but I was able to manage my Pronto in the day.
Anymore suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Outlaw 990/7700,
Emotiva XPA1 x2
JL Audio Fathom 110,113

post #8 of 44 Old 07-10-12, 06:21 AM
Elite Shackster

RTS100x5

Hello. Well the voomote doesnt get my vote, its another slow app that just eats your battery IE phones make horrible remotes .... The only Ipad as a remote I have setup is with CONTROL4 and works extremely well... not only controlling the HT but also the AC and CCTV cameras in the house....
Most of the cheap remotes are a gimmick in as far as they will only control 1 device at a time and only with IR codes and I HATE pointing remotes......My general advice is to go with Harmony 1100 as it does RF and is easily programmed, is a nice touchscreen and customizing macros isnt too difficult if you need to do that...it also has many codes such as WMC , lighting etc.....Ive looked at Roomie but was not impressed..... My standard remote that I sell to clients is the URC 880 w RF base but is obviously not a software program that joe customer can get your hands on easily....
post #9 of 44 Old 07-10-12, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

frank

Thanks for all of the help.
I guess I have to do a little more research and make sure that I ask the right questions.
I did give a look at the Harmony 1100 and it has good ratings but I can't say that I like a 3.5 inch screen.
I understand that Samsung has a Tab 2 7 at $249.00 and Touchsquid app works well with it. The Samsung has its own IR. I would rater have RF.
Control 4 is a great piece!
I am surprised that Voomote was that highly rated. I guess I should do a re-read.

Another thing is that Apple is introducing its smaller version of the iPad during the holidays. At this writing I do not know if it will have an IR/RF emitter.
That would be to good to be true.

Thanks to everyone and keep sending the suggestions. The more the merrier.

Outlaw 990/7700,
Emotiva XPA1 x2
JL Audio Fathom 110,113

post #10 of 44 Old 07-14-12, 06:11 PM
AudioIT

Quote:
rubbersoul wrote:
Thanks for all of the help.
I guess I have to do a little more research and make sure that I ask the right questions.
I did give a look at the Harmony 1100 and it has good ratings but I can't say that I like a 3.5 inch screen.
I understand that Samsung has a Tab 2 7 at $249.00 and Touchsquid app works well with it. The Samsung has its own IR. I would rater have RF.
Control 4 is a great piece!
I am surprised that Voomote was that highly rated. I guess I should do a re-read.

Another thing is that Apple is introducing its smaller version of the iPad during the holidays. At this writing I do not know if it will have an IR/RF emitter.
That would be to good to be true.

Thanks to everyone and keep sending the suggestions. The more the merrier.
So are you rethinking the iPad as remote? You mention the Harmony and Samsung. I too am interested in the iPad as a remote, but have only fragmented experience.

A couple years ago I added an Onkyo receiver to my system, it has good networking options and exposes all the control API's for developers to build remote apps. I got the "oRemote" app which is Onkyo/Integra specific but is a very cool and useful app. Forget IR or RF, anywhere you have wifi you can control the AVR from your iPad or iPhone. Sometimes I forget to turn the system off and do it from my iPhone on the night stand, or I can be outside and control network music sources, or just tweak center channel levels from the couch.

This app made me rethink what I want in future components, in addition to the audio/video quality/features that we've always shopped for, I want a fully open network interface that lets developers build great, powerful, user friendly apps to control ... whatever. Unfortunately a lot of components aren't there yet, and some good names like Oppo aren't even close - but most of the current generation of Receivers and PrePros are doing very well. I also use AppleTV which means I can control my music library on the iPad from anywhere using the remote app (very handy from outside on the lower patio!)

What I can't control directly from the iPad are my Mits TV, Dish DVR, and Oppo BDP (I use a Harmony for regular "in-room" control), and I have no "Umbrella" app to wrap everything in a pretty, easy to use UI. Which brings us back to your OP, I agree Roomie looks promising for bridging the gap with its IP to IR repeater / blaster - but I've just read the "promo" and not any reviews (though I think one of my other geek neighbors has one). Also want to checkout the Harmony Link 1hagop mentions. Like you I have more reading to do.

So, speak with your wallet ... don't buy any more components without open network API's! (though some would say that leaves out Apple! Eek!), and give up my Oppo ... Oh No!

Well, there's more ... Are you Merrier?

Last edited by bmcleod; 07-14-12 at 06:30 PM.