ALM Family Theater automation using iRule - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 94 Old 11-24-12, 10:33 PM
Senior Shackster
Harold

My System
Send a message via AIM to Harold Dale Send a message via MSN to Harold Dale Send a message via Yahoo to Harold Dale
Re: ALM Family Theater automation using iRule

Not bad, better then my first run hah.

Since I have someone else on here learning I may start tackling mine soon here. A lot of the reason I waited is I was trying to pick up a refurbished 8.9" Galaxy Tab to use as a dedicated remote device for the most part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 94 Old 11-30-12, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Finally got back to working on this a bit last night as I finally got the wiring I needed to get the AV closet squared away.

We left off with a screen created to handle lighting - just something quick and kind of klunky. I decided to do this with the rest of the equipment as well to allow me to at least ditch the remotes for now. Plus, it helps to learn a bit more about moving around and such.

So, I created screens for the OPPO-93, the Onkyo 809, and the Panasonic AE-7000. I still need to create one for the DVR. Klunky they are, but at least the functions I need are there.

Some of the stumbling blocks I ran into are:

1. There seem to be several device version floating around - make sure you have the right one. I ran into this with both the OPPO and the 809.

2. Dropping a code onto a button does not overlay the code that was already there - it adds a delay and then will execute that second code. You have to clear any codes first before you add a new one.

3. I connected my projector via serial cable. I used the codes from the PTAE series device, but I was not getting any functions to work. So, I searched for other devices under iRule and found the AE-7000 R232 device. Aha!, that is the one! Unfortunately, still no functions working. After further digging, I found a suggestion that the baud rate would need to be changed to 9600 from 19200 on the Gateway Controller. To do this, open a web browser and enter the IP for the gateway. This will allow you to select the serial connection you are connected to and change the baud rate. Once I did that, everything functioned as it should.

4. Some of the device codes are generically named - there was some trial and error to get the correct code. If the button does not work how you intended, try a different code.

Here are the screens!

Projector:

Onkyo 809:

OPPO 93

Attached Thumbnails
ALM Family Theater automation using iRule-onkyo-809.png  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #13 of 94 Old 11-30-12, 12:25 PM
Senior Shackster
Harold

My System
Send a message via AIM to Harold Dale Send a message via MSN to Harold Dale Send a message via Yahoo to Harold Dale

So you're making device pages rather then function or activity like pages?

post #14 of 94 Old 11-30-12, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Yes, for right now. Like you, I would like something sleeker and thought as I learn functionality in the Builder, these would at least allow me to run the theater for now - albeit at a bare bones, klunky level.

post #15 of 94 Old 11-30-12, 12:27 PM
Senior Shackster
Harold

My System

Yeah I get it, it takes some getting used to hah.
post #16 of 94 Old 11-30-12, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
Harold Dale wrote: View Post
Yeah I get it, it takes some getting used to hah.
It does - plus, support can be hard to navigate to find what you are looking to answer.

post #17 of 94 Old 01-09-13, 12:24 PM
Senior Shackster

I love it! Keep the posts on iRule coming. I am a LOOOONG way from setting mine up but I did pickup 2 GC-100-6's for $29/each off ebay. Still quite a few there if you need more. I was wondering how you control the GE with it. Thanks for the clarification. Did you use any wallstations with your GE? I'm thinking I might need at least one as my GE will be on one end of the room and I have my office 30' from the GE. Do the wallstations operate like 3 way switches?
post #18 of 94 Old 01-09-13, 12:26 PM
Senior Shackster
Harold

My System

I didn't go with the GC stuff because from what I understood it could only be used by once device at a time (tablets phones and such) So I went for the iTach route. Although right now I have 2 devices that even need IR and shortly that will go down to 1 lol.

I still have not messed with it much. I really wanted to find a nice tablet that I could use strictly as a remote and finances haven't allowed that recently.
post #19 of 94 Old 01-09-13, 12:47 PM
Senior Shackster

If you're looking for a cheap solid tablet go get a refurb Nook Color and root it. It's an android tablet at it's core and more than enough power for this stuff. Google Cyanogen mod for Nook Color. Tons of FAQs and videos on it.
post #20 of 94 Old 01-09-13, 12:49 PM
Senior Shackster
Harold

My System

Yeah but I was looking for something more along the lines of a 9" or so tablet like the Samsung Galaxy 8.9 but they are getting hard to find. I ordered a refurbished one a while back from walmart but they canceled my order due to stock or something.