Cleaning HDMI Connections? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 17 Old 04-13-13, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Cleaning HDMI Connections?

I'm interested in getting suggestions for reasonably priced and effective cleaning/lubrication solutions for HDMI (or any other electrical signal) connectors. I live in Florida and over the last couple of years I have been noticing especially during the springtime connection issues. Occasionaly digital noise and dropouts (either white or black half screen intermittent flashes) on my Blu-ray/DVD player output. My signal chain is from a Sony BDP-360 to Onkyo AVR to Panasonic Plasma HDTV.

It seems if I clean the connections with some Radio Shack Color Tuner Cleaner spray I had around the house it goes away for about a year then comes back. Anyone have any similar problems and maybe some cleaning suggestions that are more permanent for high humidity evironments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-13-13, 02:04 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Re: Cleaning HDMI Connections?

An eraser works well or using a q tip with a little isopropal alcohol works also.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #3 of 17 Old 04-14-13, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
An eraser works well or using a q tip with a little isopropal alcohol works also.
You sound as though you have worked with PCBs. For edge card connections on PCBs that was a decent idea and generally helped. However, with HDMI (and the 18-20 micro sized) connection points that are difficult to see, let alone physically get to especially without doing any damage is the trick (or risk).

I would think that a spray on solution with some cleaning and lubricating properties that are not hazardous to the connetors materials would be great.

What does everybody use (if anything)?

post #4 of 17 Old 04-14-13, 03:50 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

The best thing I know of is De-Oxit (formerly known as Cramolin).

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #5 of 17 Old 04-16-13, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
The best thing I know of is De-Oxit (formerly known as Cramolin).
Is this what you are referring to "CAIG Laboratories DeoxIT Gold"? It seems Caig has a large number of products! The connections that I am interested in cleaning and keeping clean are not visibly oxidized nor dirty. Mainly, HDMI or low level signal type connections.

Have you used this product or is it something else? Any long term problems with it's use?
post #6 of 17 Old 04-18-13, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Quote:
AVoldMan wrote: View Post
Is this what you are referring to "CAIG Laboratories DeoxIT Gold"?

Have you used this product or is it something else? Any long term problems with it's use?
Has anyone else used a different connector cleaning solution for HDMI connectors? The problem that I seem to have is probably with high humidity and light corrosion (not visible with the naked eye). I have even had the same problem with computer USB connections that have not be used on a regular basis.

Anybody?
post #7 of 17 Old 04-20-13, 05:56 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Quote:
AVoldMan wrote: View Post
Is this what you are referring to CAIG Laboratories DeoxIT Gold? It seems Caig has a large number of products! The connections that I am interested in cleaning and keeping clean are not visibly oxidized nor dirty. Mainly, HDMI or low level signal type connections.

Have you used this product or is it something else? Any long term problems with its use?
Yes, they also have a product specifically for treating to prevent future oxidation. The cleaner has some effect on that but is primarily for cleaning.

Most problems with HDMI connectors are the fit and tension from the weight and inflexibility of the cable. I recommend some form of strain relief if you are having problems.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #8 of 17 Old 04-22-13, 10:48 AM
Elite Shackster

RTS100x5

Is replacing the cables an option....
post #9 of 17 Old 04-23-13, 06:08 AM
Senior Shackster

Yoda

My System

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
Most problems with HDMI connectors are the fit and tension from the weight and inflexibility of the cable. I recommend some form of strain relief if you are having problems.
This makes sense. It could be that the reason they work after you clean them, is that because you had to disconnect and reconnect them for cleaning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-23-13, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Quote:
RTS100x5 wrote: View Post
Is replacing the cables an option....
Well, that would certainly clean 1/2 half the connection point - the new cable end, but not the mating surface. As another poster suggests that removing and reconnecting the existing connection point does in fact does bring temporary relief after several insertions. However, without some type of permanent electrical lubricate that remains, the connection gets noisy again after several months or a year.

Does anyone on a regular basis clean there connectors - like once a year? What do you use? Or is this just a Florida curse?