Cable Types Explained - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 25 Old 05-29-14, 03:20 PM
Shackster

MAD SCIENTIST

My System
Re: Cable Types Explained

What benefit if any is there in using HDMI with Redmere technology? I think these cables also have to be connected in one direction only.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 Old 05-29-14, 03:47 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Quote:
AU26 wrote: View Post
Thanks rab-byte for starting this. Don't worry about being accurate as it makes other contributors to get on board and start clarifying it. And that's the point of being here, to get communication going and on the way learning a bit. Cheers from Australia.

Our goal is to provide accurate information. Everyone should attempt to check what they post to confirm its correctness. There is nothing wrong with not knowing, but posting carelessly is not helpful.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #13 of 25 Old 05-29-14, 04:00 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
macromicroman wrote: View Post
What benefit if any is there in using HDMI with Redmere technology? I think these cables also have to be connected in one direction only.

Thanks
It's an inexpensive active cable. The benefit is longer runs with thinner wire, and yes, they do work. They are single-direction only, and won't work backwards. The downside is they cost a bit more and are both physically and electrically fragile.

post #14 of 25 Old 05-29-14, 04:01 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
Our goal is to provide accurate information. Everyone should attempt to check what they post to confirm its correctness. There is nothing wrong with not knowing, but posting carelessly is not helpful.
+1 Inaccuracy always seems to propagate, and some of it eventually becomes legend.
post #15 of 25 Old 05-29-14, 05:01 PM
Shackster

MAD SCIENTIST

My System

Thanks for the information of Redmere cables. I only have runs of one meter or less so I guess I really do not need them.

Thanks
post #16 of 25 Old 05-29-14, 09:16 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Thanks for the information of Redmere cables. I only have runs of one meter or less so I guess I really do not need them.

Thanks
The thin cable of Redmere is actually an advantage even in short cables. Short, thick, stiff cables can and do damage HDMI connectors in devices...a very expensive fix.
post #17 of 25 Old 05-30-14, 09:28 AM
Shackster

MAD SCIENTIST

My System

Yes, I try to avoid damage to the HDMI inputs by using little 90 degree adapters that you can buy for about $2.00. They fit into the HDMI input on the device and the cable them goes into them. Seems to help and also seems to be a better connection.
post #18 of 25 Old 05-30-14, 01:03 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Yes, I try to avoid damage to the HDMI inputs by using little 90 degree adapters that you can buy for about $2.00. They fit into the HDMI input on the device and the cable them goes into them. Seems to help and also seems to be a better connection.
Yes, those are great, I keep all 4 flavors in stock. You still have the problem of the force of a non-flexible cable breaking one of the 19 tiny connections from the HDMI connector to the HDMI board in an AVR. It's a serious design flaw with HDMI..only one of many. The connector is actually a terrible match with the typical cable. No idea what they were thinking, probably small and cheap.

Today we have Cat5e/Cat6 HDMI extenders that use one Cat cable for the entire HDMI 1.4a spec, including IR pass through, ARC, and even Ethernet. If that can be done on one 4 pair Cat cable, then I want to eliminate the HDMI connector and cable all together, stick the extender technology in the AVR and just use RJ45 on gear with 8P8C wired T568B for cables. It would be simple, the cables would be generic and cheap, without the length limits. Yup, the AVR and source gear would cost a little more for a while, but getting rid of HDMI would be a good thing long term.

...and then I woke up.
post #19 of 25 Old 05-30-14, 03:43 PM
Shackster

MAD SCIENTIST

My System

Quote:
gazoink wrote: View Post
Yes, those are great, I keep all 4 flavors in stock. You still have the problem of the force of a non-flexible cable breaking one of the 19 tiny connections from the HDMI connector to the HDMI board in an AVR. It's a serious design flaw with HDMI..only one of many. The connector is actually a terrible match with the typical cable. No idea what they were thinking, probably small and cheap.

Today we have Cat5e/Cat6 HDMI extenders that use one Cat cable for the entire HDMI 1.4a spec, including IR pass through, ARC, and even Ethernet. If that can be done on one 4 pair Cat cable, then I want to eliminate the HDMI connector and cable all together, stick the extender technology in the AVR and just use RJ45 on gear with 8P8C wired T568B for cables. It would be simple, the cables would be generic and cheap, without the length limits. Yup, the AVR and source gear would cost a little more for a while, but getting rid of HDMI would be a good thing long term.

...and then I woke up.
Yes that would be great, but then all of us would have to go and buy new receivers of processors. That and going out to get a new 4K TV will certainly get the economy going.
post #20 of 25 Old 05-30-14, 04:59 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Yes that would be great, but then all of us would have to go and buy new receivers of processors. That and going out to get a new 4K TV will certainly get the economy going.
So....we'll all have to get new gear. Who doesn't like new gear? Show of hands...

At least I'm waiting with 4K displays until they get their standards figured out. Oh, and there actually is 4K (other than Sony). I see the 4K (and yes I do refuse to call it Ultra HD...because what will we call 8K? Super Duper Ultra HD?) as a big stinger for the early adopters.