Future proof distribution planning - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 16 Old 12-16-07, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
kjg

Re: Future proof distribution planning

Quote:
MatrixDweller wrote: View Post
You will not be able to run high def to the other zones via the 4308ci. I beleive it will run composite video (and/or possibly S-Video) to other zones and not component or HDMI. The 4308 has two HDMI outs but I believe they are not assignable to zones.

So what you'll end up having to do is daisy chain together some HDMI switchers and splitters in your equipment room so that via remote you can select which DVR or AV source appears on what TV. This could get very complicated but is the best solution. I'm also not sure how well the splitters and switchers would function.

I will follow up with a diagram of how to split the HDMI up in a bit.
Thank you.

I was thinking I could run my most important HT setup using HDMI with the AVR close by and all HDMI sources of inputs close by, also via HDMI to the AVR. Then I could have these same sources send component to the matrix switch and the AVR send component from it's zone 2 to the matrix switch for distribution. The "main" TV gets full HDMI and the secondary TV's get component.

According to this document, the 4308 does send video to zone 2 via component

http://www.usa.denon.com/AVR-4308CILit_830.pdf

Won't this work if I can keep the HDMI cable from the AVR to the TV under 30 feet long? Also, I have seen some info about HDMI baluns with fiberoptics that can let the distance be a lot more. Not sure if this is a stable and well accepted thing. I do know it's expensive, but if I only need, say, 60' it's not so bad in comparison to all the other AV equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 12-17-07, 01:37 AM
Senior Shackster

Zip

I think the best option would be to use a HDMI repeater (signal booster) at 25 or 30 feet if you plan on going 50-60 feet. That would be effective and cost effective. Get the thickest, best made HDMI cables you can find and you should be golden.
post #13 of 16 Old 12-17-07, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
kjg

Quote:
I think the best option would be to use a HDMI repeater (signal booster) at 25 or 30 feet if you plan on going 50-60 feet. That would be effective and cost effective. Get the thickest, best made HDMI cables you can find and you should be golden.
Thank you. I will study up on HDMI repeaters.

post #14 of 16 Old 12-21-07, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
kjg

Quote:
Looks like HDMI repeaters are good. Thanks for the tip.

Unfortunately, I am at a bit of a loss why I would want to do this, unless it is so the AVR can be centralized where the input devices are. That way I can send HDMI to my "main" TV even with the AVR 60 feet away in the "AV closet". Is this why?

But there are no HDMI matrix switches, right? I still need to run component into the matrix switch and from the switch to all 3 of the TVs, right?
post #15 of 16 Old 12-21-07, 06:33 PM
Senior Shackster

Zip

Hot off the press

HDMI 4x2 Matrix Switch

Gefen makes a 4x4 HDMI Matrix Switch but it's over $1500

There is -> this <- one too. Not sure how much $$$ though.

The other way to do it would be to have a 3 way splitter for each source (1 in 3 out) and run one of each split source to a switch, and then the switch to the TV. The matrix switch just makes it cleaner with less wires and hassle. It might cause HDCP or HDMI handshaking issues also.
post #16 of 16 Old 12-21-07, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
kjg

Quote:
Hot off the press

HDMI 4x2 Matrix Switch

Gefen makes a 4x4 HDMI Matrix Switch but it's over $1500

There is -> this <- one too. Not sure how much $$$ though.

The other way to do it would be to have a 3 way splitter for each source (1 in 3 out) and run one of each split source to a switch, and then the switch to the TV. The matrix switch just makes it cleaner with less wires and hassle. It might cause HDCP or HDMI handshaking issues also.
Interesting. They all claim to be HDCP compliant. Wonder why such a big price difference.