Mic calibration file for Samson MM01 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 20 Old 04-08-08, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Mic calibration file for Samson MM01

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and to REW. I did a search to see if I could find any information on using the Samson MM01 microphone for taking measurements, but I didn't find anything. I'm also having a hard time finding calibration values for this microphone online. I also have an M-Audio Firewire 410 preamp for this microphone that I intend to use as the sound card.

Has anyone used these pieces with REW? And specifically, if anyone knows where I can find a set of calibration values for the mic that I could use in REW, I'd appreciate the tip. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-08-08, 11:59 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Re: Mic calibration file for Samson MM01

Welcome to the Forum, Bryan!

It’s easy enough to create a calibration file for any mic you want to use, but you’ll first have to find a frequency response graph for it. If you can find one and post a picture of it here, we can help you create a file.

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #3 of 20 Old 04-08-08, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Thank you Wayne. I did some searching online, but was unable to find frequency response information. I have sent an email to Samson requesting this, and I'll let you know when I receive a response. Thanks.

post #4 of 20 Old 05-22-08, 04:10 PM
gorg
Inactive

Im also looking for that, is this enough?

But there is no value for below 20hz, it cant be that this mic doesnt measure below 20hz??

post #5 of 20 Old 05-22-08, 07:28 PM
Elite Shackster
brucek

Quote:
is this enough?
Yes, and if you trust it, it shows the mic as being near flat down to 20Hz. It's only down less than 0.5dB at 20Hz.

It's an approximate $100 microphone, so I suppose that it is an accurate graph. It would indicate you don't even require a calibration file down to 20Hz. You have no way of knowing what happens below that, so you'd have to limit your measuring to that limit.

brucek
post #6 of 20 Old 05-23-08, 02:16 AM
gorg
Inactive

Well I could send Samson an email about that.. I think I will, I'll post here if there is any remarks below 20hz

Thanks Brucek!
post #7 of 20 Old 05-23-08, 12:30 PM
gorg
Inactive

This was the response I got from Samson:

Those specs are not available to me (below 20hz). That is an incredibly low
frequency for even a professional live arena rig to reproduce. It is likely
your home theatre system will never be loud enough to even hear those
frequencies. Either way, picture the curve to continue to drop off
exponentially as it goes lower in frequency from where it is at 20hz.

He apparently isnt familiar with SVS, Velodyne or JL subwoofers.. and he thinks you can hear the sound below 20hz, you can feel them!
post #8 of 20 Old 05-24-08, 07:45 AM
SRR
Tim

I love that response you got there, ummm, live arenas never go that low cause they would need 50-100 18" drivers per side dedicated to 50Hz and below. Depending on size of venue and subs in question.
post #9 of 20 Old 11-23-09, 12:01 AM
Matias Caceres

Hi. I found a picture in the manual so I uploaded that, if helps you. So, you're saying that with a picture of the frecuency response you can make a calibration file? Tell me how. Grettings from Argentina.
post #10 of 20 Old 11-23-09, 06:45 AM
Elite Shackster
brucek

Take a look at a meter calibration file on our download Page by dropping it into Windows notepad. You'll see the file is in simple text with a .cal extension. The entries by line are frequency, response, phase. The phase isn't required. The frequency entries do not need equal spacing as REW fills in the blanks.

Create your file in notebook, save it and change the extension to .cal and load it into REW and see if it looks as expected.

brucek