Question regarding sound card calibration - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 6 Old 01-10-15, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Question regarding sound card calibration

Hi!

I'm a first time user of REW, and I have a question where I don't really get the documentation:

When calibrating sound card, what is actually measured? Frequency, latency, absolute level?

The reason for my question is that with the equipment I have at hand, with a Behringer ECM8000 conncted to a Zoom H4m which is acting both sound card (in and out) as well as mic pre-amp, I have no line level input. Will this work with this calibration or should I skip it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-10-15, 09:45 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Re: Question regarding sound card calibration

Most sound cards in that price range are of sufficient quality that they don’t need a calibration file. However, since this device has built-in mics, it may have its own response curve added to render the output flat – i.e. compensating for the mic’s inadequacies. I don‘t think I’d trust this one for REW if you can’t generate a sound card calibration.

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

Last edited by Wayne A. Pflughaupt; 01-10-15 at 09:53 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-11-15, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
Wayne A. Pflughaupt wrote: View Post
Most sound cards in that price range are of sufficient quality that they donít need a calibration file. However, since this device has built-in mics, it may have its own response curve added to render the output flat Ė i.e. compensating for the micís inadequacies. I donĎt think Iíd trust this one for REW if you canít generate a sound card calibration.

Regards,
Wayne
I'm not planning to use the Zooms own mic's for the calibration, I'm using the Beheringer ECM8000. The Zoom is in this case just acting mic pre and sound card. I don't think the Zoom will try to "compensate" anything from it's XLR inputs?

post #4 of 6 Old 01-11-15, 06:16 AM
REW Author

John

The calibration has two purposes, providing frequency response compensation and checking that monitoring is not active anywhere in the path, as it is much easier to spot that on a loopback connection. H4n seems to have combination XLR/phone connectors, so a loopback could be done on that, maybe H4m doesn't have that? You can go ahead without calibrating the soundcard, but make sure there is no monitoring and that the low cut filter is turned off.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-11-15, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
JohnM wrote: View Post
The calibration has two purposes, providing frequency response compensation and checking that monitoring is not active anywhere in the path, as it is much easier to spot that on a loopback connection. H4n seems to have combination XLR/phone connectors, so a loopback could be done on that, maybe H4m doesn't have that? You can go ahead without calibrating the soundcard, but make sure there is no monitoring and that the low cut filter is turned off.
Sorry, it is a H4n

Thanks.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-11-15, 11:40 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Quote:
bjoele wrote: View Post
I'm not planning to use the Zooms own mic's for the calibration, I'm using the Beheringer ECM8000.
I know you Ďre not using the Zoomís mics. My point is that itís the micsí input thatís feeding to the deviceís output. The mics are cheap and will not have flat response, so thereís a good chance that a correction curve is being applied to the output to compensate for the micsí shortcomings.

Quote:
The Zoom is in this case just acting mic pre and sound card. I don't think the Zoom will try to "compensate" anything from it's XLR inputs?
Sounds like you donít know for sure, and I certainly donít either, hence the questions. Unless you can find a schematic showing that the XLR input is straight-through, or manufacturerís info stating the same, then thereís no way of knowing. Give Johnís suggestion for generating a calibration file a try, but if itís unsuccessful I wouldnít trust any frequency response graphs generated by this device.

Regards,
Wayne

|