Filtered impulse response - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 28 Old 02-26-15, 02:27 PM
Elite Shackster

Re: Filtered impulse response

this is way over my head.... i wish i knew what all this meant ha

Master Electrician

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

XPA-7 & Krell Showcase 7 | XMC-1 | SVS Ultra Tower system | HSU VTF-15H MK2 | BenQ W1070 | Jamestown 135"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 Old 02-26-15, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
subterFUSE wrote: View Post
Just to be clear, we need to pick a crossover point first and then measure as above to determine the delay? Or should we get a ballpark delay, and then set crossover and fine tune the delay as above? My situation is a little different because it's a car, with listening position in the driver seat. So I need some large delays on the left midbass and the subwoofer in particular. Furthest speaker is my right compression horn under the passenger side dash.
The selection of the correct crossover point based on the most linear frequency response of the two drivers combined is paramount. Ensure that both drivers exhibit excellent linearity before and after the crossover point. This attention to spl will allow the best phase matching and well matched filtering after the pass band.
My bass and mid drivers are very flat between between 250 and 500 Hz. I've chosen 345hz as crossover point providing excellent linearity above and below the crossover point.
Cheers
post #13 of 28 Old 02-27-15, 08:33 AM
Shackster

When you say you took multiple measurements at .1ms increments, do you mean you measured... then adjusted the DSP delay for a driver by .1ms, and measured again, then repeat, etc..?

post #14 of 28 Old 02-27-15, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
When you say you took multiple measurements at .1ms increments, do you mean you measured... then adjusted the DSP delay for a driver by .1ms, and measured again, then repeat, etc..?
You just keep measuring and changing the delay incrementally till the phase align at the crossover point. You can theoretically do this just once. You can make a copy of that measurement , nudge it into alignment in REW, then subtract the time difference between the two measurements. That delay amount can then be applied on your DSP. It works.
post #15 of 28 Old 03-10-15, 09:18 AM
Shackster

When we are trying to do this at a higher crossover point from the LP, and we get a phase chart that looks like this:

Is it OK to use the Unwrap Phase button to view it that way?
post #16 of 28 Old 03-10-15, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

You really have to zoom right into the crossover point and examine how the wrapped and unwrapped phase aligns. You can then apply filtered IR for each measurement approximately at the crossover point. In overlays, view the alignment of IR and adjust delay accordingly till the wave forms sit perfectly on top of each other .
Good luck.
post #17 of 28 Old 03-12-15, 08:36 AM
Shackster

So I definitely understand that the crossover point must be set first because that will affect the timing.

What about EQ? If there will be a lot of channel-independent EQ applied, should the EQ be done before or after using this approach to adjusting time alignment/phase?
post #18 of 28 Old 03-12-15, 02:33 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
When we are trying to do this at a higher crossover point from the LP, and we get a phase chart that looks like this:

Is it OK to use the Unwrap Phase button to view it that way?
No, that will not normally help. When the IR is shifted very far away from 0ms there is just too much phase rotation to read the chart. Any reflections in the chart causing phase rotations also make the phase unreadable when unwrapped. The best action is follow the advice in Post 6 when the chart looks like this.
post #19 of 28 Old 03-12-15, 02:45 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
So I definitely understand that the crossover point must be set first because that will affect the timing.

What about EQ? If there will be a lot of channel-independent EQ applied, should the EQ be done before or after using this approach to adjusting time alignment/phase?
For a new setup I would prefer to:
> Set the XO freq and filters
> Set the delay via; phase tracking, or maximum SPL in the XO range, or this new filtered IR method.
> EQ to the house curve.

That said, having at least rough EQ in place to the house curve makes it easier to set the delays as the IR and phase charts are a little cleaner. I just leave the any old EQ in place if I decide to change XO settings and delays. Then revisit the EQ settings as needed. There is nothing wrong with adjusting back and forth as needed to assure that the best combination has been found.
post #20 of 28 Old 03-16-15, 07:45 AM
Shackster

First of all, thanks so much for all of the guidance. I am having a lot of fun learning about this subject, and have spent a fair amount of time testing things. Although I'm still not achieving good results using this method, I think my environment being a car is largely to blame. Unequal path lengths to the different speakers from the LP in the driver's seat definitely make time alignment and phasing tricky.

I do have more questions:

My subwoofer to Midbass Xover point is currently 90 Hz. I have tried using Filtered IR at both 80Hz and 100Hz. Is there a preference for which filter to use when the xover point is between 2 filters?

Same is true for my horns to midbass transition, which currently is at 900 Hz.
Do I use 800Hz, or 1000Hz filter?

I have noticed that using the filtered IR method for my time alignment has yielded some wildly different results than expected when I take rough measurements of the distance to each speaker with my measuring tape. I have also not yet achieved good results with getting the proper phasing using this method. While the phase charts look correct, my ears are certainly telling me otherwise. My results have been better setting things by ear with pink noise.