my room responses - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 46 Old 05-30-08, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Bob

Re: my room responses

Hello, I have been busy building my last 16 bass traps. Here is a picture with most of the frames up. They are glued and screwed to the ceiling and then the sealed panel traps receive also a caulking on the inside to further seal the box. I have so far finished 3 broadband traps and several have the rock wool in place. I will post pictures again, soon, to show progress. I have a week off from work next week so I will have plenty of time to finish them and do some new measurements and listening.
Thanks,
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
my room responses-last-bass-traps2-small.jpg  

my room responses-last-bass-traps-small.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 46 Old 06-03-08, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Bob

Hello, I have 8 of the 16 new traps up and will take a new measurement before adding the last 8 traps. In the meantime here are acouple of pictures of the new traps along with the non completed ones seen in pictures.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
my room responses-basstrapstoday.jpg  

my room responses-basstrapstoday1.jpg  

post #23 of 46 Old 06-03-08, 08:16 AM
Elite Shackster
Maverick

That's just wicked.

How's the highs affected by all that absorbtion?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #24 of 46 Old 06-03-08, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Bob

Hi Atledreier, I think that contrary to "popular belief" that as you add more bass trapping the room become too dead in the high freq. This is not what I am hearing or measuring. As you get a flatter response not only do the high freq peaks come down (more dead?) the high freq nulls come up! Less dead! Music just sounds more natural with even pitch. The imaging become more precise and clear. I have not had to make any adjustments to "compensate" for more bass trapping, though I did in the beginning when I added the first 20 traps! That was because as I was initally compensating for a "bad room" and had trouble adjusting my system as nothing sounded correct due to to the severe peaks in an untreated room. How does one set a subwoofer level (to mains level)when you have peaks and nulls over 20db?
Bob
post #25 of 46 Old 06-03-08, 09:48 AM
Elite Shackster
Maverick

I saw this as well, in my room. I think the key here is even response, and even (broadband) absorbtion. Some rooms get narrowband absorbtion and get a skewed response. Minse sounds good now too. Nowhere near as complete as yours but getting there!

post #26 of 46 Old 06-03-08, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Bob

Hi Atledrier, Here are some new response with the old responses. The new response is purple. Notice while not a huge change there is none the less a smoothing of the responses and broadening of the peaks. Of course ther is also a corresponding change in the waterfall response. There is a most notable change in the sound more than what is suggested just by graphs. The initial sound of attack is greatly increased also. The reference db level is 74db. There is also some shifting of responses due to not having the microphone in the exact same location.
Bob

Ps it is 12 noon here in conecticut USA, what time is it in Noway? Also what is you name, is it Atledreier?
Attached Thumbnails
my room responses-newresponse.jpg  

my room responses-newresponse2.jpg  

post #27 of 46 Old 06-03-08, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Bob

Hello, and here are some waterfall to compare.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
my room responses-waterfall-today.jpg  

my room responses-waterfalltoday1.jpg  

my room responses-waterfalltodaylow.jpg  

my room responses-waterfalltodaylow1.jpg  

post #28 of 46 Old 06-03-08, 03:16 PM
Elite Shackster
Maverick

Right as I type it's 22:10, that's 10 past 10pm for you 'can't count to 24' guys.

My name is Atle Dreier, that's correct.

And that waterfall looks awesome! I have a decent waterfall above 70-80ish, but some nasty nulls and stuff up there from my ceiling. I also have a severe node at 33-ish and then 66-ish from the lenght of my room. My basstraps don't touch that low.

post #29 of 46 Old 06-03-08, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Bob

Hi Atle, Thanks for the complimets. I think at this point I am seeing the law of diminishing returns. Though I am on my desired goal to get a response within +-2.5db across the board, and hopefully even better! Only eight more to go! As you see though, that even though I said it was minimal improvement you can see really quite a change in the 650-780ish range, I am within 1db. With the low freq response you can see a 0.5-1db improvement!

The "before" ( green waterfall) picture of the low freq waterfall seems to have disappeared, if it does not reappear back from cyberspace I will repost it, but even at a very low freq, there was an improvement.

I am doing this "little experiment" not just for myself, to get a great room, but to really see if all of this really works! For everone to see. Cant stop now! Whats impressive now is that I need to use the graph set on 2db increments to note the changes, as its getting flatter.
Bob
post #30 of 46 Old 06-04-08, 01:07 AM
Elite Shackster
Maverick

Awesome. I didn't notice the graph scale, that's just insane! Wish I could go toally overboard like that!