Newbie needs cheapo sound card - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 5 Old 03-06-15, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Newbie needs cheapo sound card

I tried using REW without a sound card on both MAC and PC. Going straight into the 2.5 mm/headphone connectors. Not sure it's working correctly. The measurements are fairly smooth up to about 800hz and then it gets wildly choppy.

Wanting to measure a 2 channel system.

I have a Radio Shack SPL meter but am completely baffled on how to use this in conjunction w the mic (or is it supposed to be used in place of a mic??). Using a Dayton Audio UMM-6 USB mic w corresponding calibration file. This software is way over my head but I'm still trying. I just want to get a few decent measurements to understand what I'm dealing with.

Would love to find someone to do a TeamViewer/Skype session and take a quick measurement and try to learn a few basics. Anyway, in the meantime...

Looking for the cheapest used sound card that will can give me "decent" results. From reading the forum, it looks like PC is the way to go... so a PC compatible sound card (??).

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-06-15, 09:31 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Re: Newbie needs cheapo sound card

First, welcome to the Forum!

Since you have the USB mic you don’t need an external sound card. Without seeing one of your graphs myself I can only guess at what you’re seeing, but the “wildly choppy” stuff above 800 Hz is probably comb filtering caused by reflections in the room, so it’s perfectly normal.

The only purpose the SPL meter serves is to calibrate REW’s SPL levels, so that the dB markings on the frequency response graphs are meaningful.

If you want to post some graphs we’ll be happy to take a look and let you know if you’re getting valid measurements.

Getting Graphs Ready to Post

Posting A Graph

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #3 of 5 Old 03-06-15, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Man, I have a hard time with everything in REW. The instructions have no relevance to the screens I'm seeing.

Maybe the different versions screens change? I dunno, but here is my measurement.

And thanks Wayne.
Attached Thumbnails
Newbie needs cheapo sound card-rew-meas-3-6-15.jpg  

Attached Files Mar 6 11_16_31.mdat (2.22 MB) 

post #4 of 5 Old 03-06-15, 11:07 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Here's your graph with the 60 dB scaling recommended in the link I provided in my previous post. It's a valid measurement, everything looks normal.

Regards,
Wayne
Attached Thumbnails
Newbie needs cheapo sound card-sample.jpg  

|

post #5 of 5 Old 03-06-15, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
It's a valid measurement, everything looks normal.
OK - Great and Thanks.

Good to know I can take measurements w/out a sound card.

Not really sure what I'm looking at but it doesn't look (or sound) very good.

Hmmm.