Can I use this SPL meter ? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 8 Old 03-18-15, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Can I use this SPL meter ?

Hi,
Im quit enew to REW. Can I use this SPL meter with rew?

https://www.studiospares.com/Accesso...ter_745150.htm

I says its only got a frequency range from 30 hz - 8000hz ? This seems very poor and would explain why Im getting some really weird reading s with it and REW. It also only has an unbalanced mini jack out .
I am getting crazy readings which I know cannot be correct as things sound the same on good quality headphones, my mixes translate ok and I have a lot of GIK traps etc etc - I think it may be this SPL meter but just in case I am making a more obvious error I am doing the following :

1. Callibrating soundcard
2. Setting speaker output to 75 db on SPL meter then changing level of gain input to - 18 db
3. Callibrating SPL
4. Measuring

Am I missing out anything ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-18-15, 04:57 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Re: Can I use this SPL meter ?

If you are physically using it as the mic for REW no you can not use it unless you have the appropriate calibration file for it that works in REW.
The only SPL meters that work with REW are the Radio Shack meters and The Galaxy CM140

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #3 of 8 Old 03-18-15, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
If you are physically using it as the mic for REW no you can not use it unless you have the appropriate calibration file for it that works in REW.
The only SPL meters that work with REW are the Radio Shack meters and The Galaxy CM140
Ah Ok thanks - this would explain things (I thought I was going mad !) . So I assume I can use this SPL meter just for the SPL measurements (the 75db0 AND a measurement mic ?) . I have an AKG C1000s - would that be any use as a measurement mic ? I couldnt find a callibration file for it though...

post #4 of 8 Old 03-18-15, 06:16 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Yes you can use the SPL meter for level readings, you would also need a calabration file for the AKG.
Right now the best mic to use with REW is the new MiniDSP usb mic

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #5 of 8 Old 03-18-15, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

.... no more gear purchases for me for a while. I have a zoom h2n though - thats usb and has surround sound recording I think can be summed - Ill give that a go.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-05-15, 12:01 AM
alx

Hi Guss, How did you go with Zoom H2n and REW? I am keen to find out if this is suitable as a USB microphone for use with REW.

I am about to start acoustic treatment in my home theatre and thought of buying a Zoom H2n to record the sound "as I would've heard it" at the listening position as I trial different acoustic panels. I feel there is a benefit to record the sound so I can later play back the files and compare waterfall plots for each test to better understand how each panel changes the sound at my listening position. So, if the H2n can also be used to feed sound in REW it would be a bonus and I can use just one device.

If anyone has any experience with Zoom H2 or H2n (or any other similar device) for that matter I would be interested in hearing from you.

Thanks in advance.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-06-15, 06:36 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

There have been a number of inquires about the Zoom over the years, but no one has ever reported back a success.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...n-rew-mic.html
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...archquery=Zoom

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #8 of 8 Old 07-13-15, 03:12 AM
alx

Thank you Wayne for your reply. Yes, I found those threads too but thought of asking Gusss because he said he will give it a go.

Today I received my Zoom H2n and thought of reporting back for the benefit of everyone some findings.

It seems H2n is probably NOT the best microphone for use with REW. I believe best to stick with an SPL meter or calibration microphones. I have attached test1.mdat which contains REW measurements using Zoom H2n via USB (48kHz/16bit, MS/Mono mode), TES 1351 SPL Meter (C-weighted/Slow) and Paradigm PBK USB Microphone (no calibration file).

Sound card used was Asus Xonar U7 with Altec Lansing ACS41 desktop computer speaker.

This is just a basic test only for now and will do some thorough testing in the future. I am happy to receive feedback regarding any testing methodology I should incorporate to ensure accuracy and validity of the test.

Cheers.
Attached Files Test1.mdat (7.44 MB)