First Sub Measurement - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 17 Old 03-23-15, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Chris Hunt

My System
First Sub Measurement

Any thoughts on what's going on here? EQ is flat on receiver, sub is a PB2000 placed in between my right main and center. I certainly feel the very low end 20-30hz but as you can see, it just drops off crazy after. Thoughts??
Attached Thumbnails
First Sub Measurement-sub1.jpg  

Attached Files Sub w_ YPAO.mdat (162.1 KB) 

Chris Hunt
McKinney, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-23-15, 10:58 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Looks like the crossover is too low. Where is it set? Are you using the one in the avr?
post #3 of 17 Old 03-23-15, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Chris Hunt

My System
Re: First Sub Measurement

Set at 80z from the mains which are Martin Logan Motion 40s. Crossover on sub set to LFE.

Chris Hunt
McKinney, TX

post #4 of 17 Old 03-24-15, 10:19 AM
Elite Shackster

My System
Hi Chris, I'm not super good at graphs, but one thing might be the 24/octave smoothing, and your window limits making it look worse than it is. It still looks steep though. If you are plugged into the LFE conn with the switch to LFE, I might try it in the corner, or sub crawl, as the room could be causing trouble. Btw, forget to say how nice the room looks. Inspiring!
post #5 of 17 Old 03-24-15, 11:20 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Do you have the crossover on the sub engaged as well as that on the receiver? Maybe at a lower frequency?

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #6 of 17 Old 03-24-15, 11:45 AM
Elite Shackster

you should test at SPL levels near 85db.... you could be having room modes that are exciting that peak area.

One thing i notice is my response is very flat at 85db and even up to 95db but higher than that my response looks like yours... kinda a mountain or so.

BUT... still not sure why it's not extending higher.

You could just EQ -10db from 20-30hz and that should flatten it out a bunch and then you'll be leveled out at the 85db range just by doing that.... would be flat or "should" be.

Master Electrician

XPA-7 & Krell Showcase 7 | XMC-1 | SVS Ultra Tower system | HSU VTF-15H MK2 | BenQ W1070 | Jamestown 135"
post #7 of 17 Old 03-24-15, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Chris Hunt

My System
Thanks Willis! Wayne, the crossover on the sub is set to LFE and my understanding is that is a bypass. On the Yamaha RX-A3040 I've set the front speakers to small and 80hz. I don't see where the sub specifically is to adjust the xover, I just assumed that by selecting the front xover this was setting the sub as well. Is there a specific sub xover setting?

Chris Hunt
McKinney, TX
post #8 of 17 Old 03-24-15, 04:26 PM
Shackster

In my Yamaha (RX-V800) the xover frequency is fixed at 90 hz.
post #9 of 17 Old 03-24-15, 06:08 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
I've never found Yamaha AVRs to be intuitive in their menu implementation. In any case, it should be in the speaker setup menu. I would also assume the way you described above, it's right. But that graph? I still think I'd move it around and see what happens. Your other question about separate sub crossover is mostly no, but kinda yes. The .1 runs 3-120hz. This only present in an actual 5/7.1 track, and you can trim the top off. (If you have localization, for example). This will not affect or be affected by the regular channels XO's. Make sure this is at 120hz.
post #10 of 17 Old 03-24-15, 07:22 PM
Shackster

Hi Chris. I think if you set your yamaha to pure direct mode all processing including the crossovers are bypassed.
I'm hoping you get an answer because the spl for my pb200 is VERY similar to yours. I went with Tally's suggestion and eq'd it down. When I checked with the mic about 2ft from the driver it was much flatter, so rightly or wrongly, I attributed it to room gain and called it a day.
Somewhat related, I'm curios to know if the driver is about 3.5ft from the front wall. I noticed the null at 80. If I guessed right then pushing it a little closer to the wall will move the null to higher frequency and hopefully far enough above 80hz to not be a problem with the crossover set there.