What are acoustic specs for a good listening room? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 5 Old 04-12-15, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

sydney2013

Send a message via Skype™ to sydney2013
What are acoustic specs for a good listening room?

I am a new user of REW V5 with a UMIK-1.
Whilst the manual shows many techniques to measure / analyze my room I am unable to locate what are acoustic specs for a well treated room.

i.e. once I treat my room acoustically what numbers should I aim to achieve?
Can someone help me establish some targets.
Are there any ISO standards that specify this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-12-15, 10:59 AM
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System
Re: What are acoustic specs for a good listening room?

Hello, and welcome!

The Audio Engineering Society (AES) has published many standards related to listening room performance. You'll be most interested in listening room design. The publication isn't free, but you probably won't need to buy it with all the expert help you can get on this forum.

Please keep in mind that success in achieving the targets that follow will largely depend on your room's shape and construction, and also your willingness/ability to sacrifice aesthetics for performance.
  • Most enthusiasts expect to achieve an ambient noise floor of 40-50dBA. Reference quality is 35-40dBA.
  • A 0.7sec reverberation time is ideal.
  • A good Sound Transmission Class (STC) depends on the adjacent space but range from 45 to 60.
  • Frequency response should be as flat as possible. Low frequency (below 300Hz) deviations caused by room modes can be alleviated through judicious: speaker/sub positioning, parametric equalization via DSP, and bass trapping.

From this webpage:
Some of the many questions that can be found scattered across the internet and overheard in conversations amongst audiophiles today relate to room acoustic measurements:

What are the key measurements?
How do I interpret them?
What does good look like?
How do they relate to each other?
These questions arise from the recent availability of cheap and accurate ‘consumer’ acoustical measurement products like XTZ Room Analyzer, Room EQ Wizard, and Dayton Audio Omnimic. Whist these packages allow you to measure your room they do not provide any guidance on how to interpret the results relative to the audiophile situation of two speakers in a room.

In April of 2011 Nyal Mellor of Acoustic Frontiers and Jeff Hedback of HdAcoustics recognized this and started work on creating a set of measurement standards specific to the requirements of the two channel audiophile. Many hours of hard work have culminated in the release of the white paper ACOUSTIC MEASUREMENT STANDARDS FOR STEREO LISTENING ROOMS which you can download as a pdf by clicking on the link.

This paper is recommended reading if you are interested in understanding how room acoustics can influence sound quality. It also provides clear targets for the acoustic measurements that characterize your room’s performance. We hope you enjoy it. We have definitely had a blast creating it!

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Lumen; 04-12-15 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Specify dB weighting and fix link
post #3 of 5 Old 04-20-15, 12:14 PM
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

I may have misrepresented ambient noise level UNITS. I'm not sure if they're measured in dBA or dBC. Can anyone please elaborate?

post #4 of 5 Old 04-20-15, 03:03 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

I imagine it’s C-weighting, as low-frequency ambient noise can be an issue in most rooms.

Regards,
Wayne

|

post #5 of 5 Old 04-20-15, 03:16 PM
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

Thanks, Wayne! HTS is the best!