How do I run a sweep with a corrective software EQ inserted? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 8 Old 05-20-15, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System
How do I run a sweep with a corrective software EQ inserted?

Hello,

I'm looking for help as to how to run a sweep with a corrective software EQ applied, so as to test my corrective EQ settings.

I spent a lot of time with REW doing a lot of sweeps and figured out the best position for my monitors, sub, and mix position (with the help of a consultant for a company that manufactures room treatment materials).

I'm lucky to have moved into a room that already has a lot of sound treatment, so the consultant suggested not to add any more treatment, but instead to apply a software EQ to pull down frequencies. I've experimented with the EQ window, and I think I've come up with an EQ setting to try to smooth things out, and my plan is to ultimately use Logic Pro's Channel EQ on the Output Channel while mixing (and then remove it when I bounce).

The problem is, I don't know how to insert an software EQ into REW so as to test my corrective EQ setting. In other words, I want to run a sweep in REW with a software EQ applied to see how a my EQ settings will affect the room's response. Can someone tell me how to do this? I was told by the consultant that this can be done, but I can't figure out how.

I'm attaching screen shots of REW showing the room response curve and the EQ window to show what I've done. Any help is appreciated, and I'd also be glad to have anyone's input as to whether I'm proceeding in the right direction in general.

Thanks,
Tim
Attached Thumbnails
How do I run a sweep with a corrective software EQ inserted?-main-window.jpg  

How do I run a sweep with a corrective software EQ inserted?-eq-window.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-20-15, 03:52 PM
REW Author

John

Re: How do I run a sweep with a corrective software EQ inserted?

You can't have REW apply the EQ itself (another one of the things on my todo list) but you could use EqualizerAPO to do it.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-20-15, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

Thanks for your reply, John. I am using a Mac, and it looks like this is for Windows only - am I correct?

post #4 of 8 Old 05-20-15, 04:08 PM
REW Author

John

Yes, EqualizerAPO is for Windows, sorry. On a Mac perhaps you could use sound flower to route REW's sweep output through your channel EQ.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-20-15, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

Thanks for the tip. I looked up Soundflower, and on MacUpdate some users talk about it causing crashing / kernel panics of Mavericks, which is what I'm using. So I'm hesitant to use it. Do you happen to know of any other software that might work for this purpose? Thanks again.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-20-15, 04:27 PM
REW Author

John

I don't, but I'm no expert on Mac audio software so doesn't mean there isn't something.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-21-15, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

OK, thanks John. And thanks for developing a great tool (I'm assuming you developed REW because your signature refers to you as "REW Author").
post #8 of 8 Old 05-24-15, 08:28 AM
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Reaper can do it, and they have an OSX version, but the learning curve is not pretty.

If you choose to, when you install, be sure the ReaRoute option is selected, then you will have a series of ASIO ins and outs to Reaper for other programs (REW) to commune with it directly. Their built-in ReaEQ can give you unlimited PEQ bands, but - alas - uses bandwidth rather than Q and converting between can be tricky. It can accept any AU's, so there are certainly lots of EQ possibilities to work with out there.

I have used Reaper a lot, but am not a Mac guy, so cannot help with Mac issues.