RTA - Frequencies below 15.75 Hz - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 4 Old 06-18-15, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
mojave

RTA - Frequencies below 15.75 Hz

The Spectrum and RTA graphs in the RTA Window don't show any data below ~15.75 Hz. Is it possible for this to be extended lower with a few more octaves?

Here is why I am asking:
  • I'm able to route movies directly through REW using my MOTU 1248 AVB mixing panel.
  • I used an 80 hz crossover with a 24/db per octave slope for all channels (to match the THX filter and speaker sum).
  • I routed the subwoofer channel to REW's input digitally using the MOTU mixer.
  • I used REW with ASIO input to receive the subwoofer signal.
  • I set levels in REW per Blue Sky's http://abluesky.com/support/blue-sky...on-test-files/ test tones and methodology to make it easy to reproduce. The REW SPL Meter was set to C weighting and slow.
  • SPL by Frequency - I used the REW RTA in RTA 1/48 octave mode. With an FFT length of 131072, each FFT bin is only .18 Hz wide. I also used flat top windowing to provide accuracy to .01 dB. Averaging was set to None to accurately track the peaks.
  • SPL by Time - I used the REW SPL logger with the SPL Meter set to Z weighting and fast. From the manual, it looks like this updates every 125ms.

I want to see the SPL at various frequencies and where the peak SPL occurs. I also want to know the peak SPL requirements for playback at Reference Level. For a test, I used a clip from War of the Worlds. I simultaneously ran the SPL logger and the RTA to get SPL by Frequency and by Time. The SPL Meter provided peak SPL. Below are the graphs. For accuracy, I would like to record as low as possible and not be limited to ~15 Hz.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-18-15, 04:53 PM
REW Author

John

Re: RTA - Frequencies below 15.75 Hz

The spectrum will show data down to the FFT bin width or 2 Hz, whichever is higher.

The RTA is limited in part because at the lowest frequencies the RTA bins become smaller than FFT bins (for example, at 15 Hz 1/48th octave spans 0.2 Hz). A pseudo RTA mode is possible by scaling FFT bins according to relative width when they drop below the RTA bin width, but it gets awkward for shorter FFTs so I picked a reasonable lower bound that works for all FFT lengths. Displaying lower frequencies in RTA mode is one of the things on my TODO list but it's not near the top.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-19-15, 12:12 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

Now this is something I had never really thought about, sound below 15hz. Very interesting.

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"

post #4 of 4 Old 06-20-16, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
mojave

Thanks for adding this in V5.15. Works great!