Attached Thumbnails
REW Noob-just-highs.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 191 Old 09-09-08, 11:39 AM
Elite Shackster
brucek

Re: REW Noob

And when you use your receiver test tones to set the speaker levels, you have the sub about the same level as the other speakers?

Are the two plots above with the speakers set as large without a crossover engaged?

brucek
post #83 of 191 Old 09-09-08, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

weverb

Quote:
brucek wrote: View Post
And when you use your receiver test tones to set the speaker levels, you have the sub about the same level as the other speakers?

Are the two plots above with the speakers set as large without a crossover engaged?

brucek
When I use the receivers pink noise, the mains are at 75dB and the subs combined are at 81dB.

The two graphs are the mains set to small with a xo at 80Hz. I think I posted earlier that it looks like my receiver's xo is not working. When you look at my last graph of the subs, the DSP1124P has taken care of all the spikes at 50Hz. Now there just seems to be two in the 80-150Hz range. I can probably get them under control with the DSP1124P because,looking at the two graphs of the highs, those spikes are being caused by the subs.

post #84 of 191 Old 09-09-08, 12:20 PM
Elite Shackster
brucek

Quote:
The two graphs are the mains set to small with a xo at 80Hz. I think I posted earlier that it looks like my receiver's xo is not working.
Well, it sure looks like you have an enormous peak at 50Hz that the mains are contributing to the mix of sub and mains.

If you look at the pic below, it's a standard crossover at 80Hz (2nd order) with the target at about 70Hz (which would roughly match the level of your graph). It makes me think that you may not have the crossover engaged, but I could be wrong and you simply have a large peak. The one peak at 50Hz is about 85dB, where it should be at the target of about 60dB at 50Hz. That's a 25dB peak.

REW Noob-mains-crossover.jpg

When you think about the receivers test tone for setting levels, it may include the frequencies of that peak and so your level of the mains is low because of the energy in that 50Hz peak. The only suggestion I might have is to move the mains or raise the crossover perhaps.

brucek
post #85 of 191 Old 09-09-08, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

weverb

Well, I checked my receiver yet again and the crossover is set to 80Hz and the mains are set to small. I popped in a test disc with different frequencies and played the 50Hz tone. Sure enough, the mains were playing.

So at this point, would it be cheaper to....

1. Try and get a new receiver (try and sell my current one)?
2. Try and get my current one fixed (passed its warranty period)?
3. Buy a eq and use its high/low pass filters like xo's?
4. Buy a good external xo? Any recommendations?

Any other options....?
post #86 of 191 Old 09-09-08, 04:39 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Quote:
weverb wrote: View Post
Well, I checked my receiver yet again and the crossover is set to 80Hz and the mains are set to small. I popped in a test disc with different frequencies and played the 50Hz tone. Sure enough, the mains were playing.
Of course they were. That doesn't necessarily mean the crossover isn't working. What you should do is, if you're checking to see if the mains are being filtered, play a test tone at the crossover frequency and take an SPL reading. Make sure it's fairly high, say 80-85 dB. Then take another SPL reading one octave lower - 40 Hz if the crossover frequency is set for 80 as you said. The 40 Hz reading should be reduced approximately 24 dB, assuming that is the slope.

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #87 of 191 Old 09-09-08, 04:59 PM
Elite Shackster
brucek

Quote:
Any other options....?
Test the crossover with a pseudo anechoic near-field test to remove the rooms influence.

Place one main in the middle of the room as far from boundaries as possible and put the mic about a foot or so away from the speaker and redo your single mains test. The result should look closer to the target I suggested (that you should also put on your graph so you can compare - use 80Hz, bass limited, 12dB/octave)

brucek
post #88 of 191 Old 09-09-08, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

weverb

Quote:
Wayne A. Pflughaupt wrote: View Post

Of course they were. That doesn't necessarily mean the crossover isn't working. What you should do is, if you're checking to see if the mains are being filtered, play a test tone at the crossover frequency and take an SPL reading. Make sure it's fairly high, say 80-85 dB. Then take another SPL reading one octave lower - 40 Hz if the crossover frequency is set for 80 as you said. The 40 Hz reading should be reduced approximately 24 dB, assuming that is the slope.

Regards,
Wayne
Wayne,

I will give it a try tomorrow. Do you have any other thoughts as to why the mains are so much lower than the lows when trying to use REW? Also, looking at my current response, how well do you think the YDP2006 would help or be applied?

Thanks.
post #89 of 191 Old 09-09-08, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

weverb

Quote:
brucek wrote: View Post
Test the crossover with a pseudo anechoic near-field test to remove the rooms influence.

Place one main in the middle of the room as far from boundaries as possible and put the mic about a foot or so away from the speaker and redo your single mains test. The result should look closer to the target I suggested (that you should also put on your graph so you can compare - use 80Hz, bass limited, 12dB/octave)

brucek
Thanks brucek, I will try this tomorrow.
post #90 of 191 Old 09-09-08, 06:29 PM
Elite Shackster
brucek

Quote:
Do you have any other thoughts as to why the mains are so much lower than the lows when trying to use REW?
Yes, that was what I was attempting to explain a few posts above.

The Radio Shack meter is being tricked by using the test tones in the receiver when you're setting the speaker level trims. The huge peak you have is what the meter is reading and so the mains get set low. You will have to use REW to set your levels between the mains and sub.......

brucek