2.1 calibration with Onkyo TX-SR606 (REW charts included) - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 22 Old 10-17-15, 01:35 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: 2.1 calibration with Onkyo TX-SR606 (REW charts included)

Quote:
Takechan wrote: View Post
Hi, all the measurements were done with Audyssey EQ on, but with Dynamic EQ off (incl. M. Optimization).
That's good.

Quote:
I'd like to have a flat FR and then use Dynamic EQ to my own taste if I need a bit more low-end boost
Nothing wrong with that.

Quote:
The measurements are performed for front speakers only (no subwoofer), subwoofer alone and FL+FR+Sub. There are measurements for the mains with full-band and XO settings dialed in on the receiver, but the sub if OFF for all these measurements.
Yes, I understood. Those aren't the best set of measurement to resolve the problem efficiency. For this problem just the 2 sweeps mentioned above are needed for the XO setting you want to try probably ~80Hz.

Quote:
I think based on you're input I'll have to find a way to EQ my mains manually (incl. cross-over) it's too imprecise to use the Onkyo XO settings...
The option I mentioned is to put the MiniDSP in the left/right output and not the SW. The current Audyssey EQ on the SW is as good as you will get. It is also probably okay for the midrange and high frequency. Only the mains near the XO have a problem.

So you could leave Audyssey on and just correct a 80Hz XO with the help of the Mini DSP on the mains. We use the MiniDSP to get control of the mains roll-off so it matched the classic target. It should mirror the SW roll-off around the XO frequency. Once the SPL roll-off is correct we set the delay/distance properly and we are all set. With MiniDSP help, the XO should then look pretty good.

Audyssey can then be left is. You could use some the Mini DSP EQ filters if you want at higher frequencies, but that may not be necessary with Audyssey having EQ'ed there already. A little touch-up of the HF roll-off can be helpful in some cases though if it too bright, or too dull.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 Old 10-17-15, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Peter

I really appreciate all the feedback!

Unfortunately I have the "cheap" Audyssey 2EQ, so all the filtering I've put on the sub has been done using REW and the miniDSP... The Audyssey 2EQ only performs level correction for the .1 channel

If I need to follow your suggestion I'll have to invest in another miniDSP in order to EQ the mains.

Let me think of a way to solve this problem. I'm using Sonos (SPDIF), TV (Optical), PS3 (HDMI) all using my PS3 so investing in another 2x4 or MiniDSP Digital may only provide EQ'ing for some of my inputs.

Did you have a look at my front full-band measurement, it looks terrible in the low end. Would you suggest a 80 Hz crossover and HP filter for these based on a 12 dB or 24 dB slope?
post #13 of 22 Old 10-17-15, 01:48 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Oops - sorry for the confusion. I often have problems imagining all the system constraints. With a AV receiver there is no way to put the MiniDSP into the mains is there. I am used to thinking of a pre-pro and separate P-Amps. That kills my idea.

I will see if I can think of another path. Maybe others here will have good solution.

post #14 of 22 Old 10-17-15, 01:53 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

I still can't see any of your pictures in Post 1 so that is part of my confusion.
post #15 of 22 Old 10-17-15, 02:11 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

To your initial question the 200Hz XO setup you have above looks reasonably good for SPL as is. If there is no issue with being distracted by localization issues with the high XO then all is pretty good. I was just carried away with a mistaken possibility to lower the XO.
post #16 of 22 Old 10-17-15, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Peter

Hi again. Finally managed to fix the pictures on the first post. Had some issues with dropbox and linking directly.

With that sorted, hopefully it'll make much more sense!

Based on my LW 24 dB roll-off at 120 Hz, do you think I'd be able to suffer from localization issues?

Any frequencies below 200 Hz or from the discrete .1 LFE channel *should* follow the SUB chart?
post #17 of 22 Old 10-18-15, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Peter

jtalden, I tweaked the distance settings as per your instructions and managed to remove the dip between 100-200 Hz! I'm not sure if the procedure I used was the right one, but I updated it in the first post. Could you have a look and let me know ? Thanks a ton for all the help.

I'm pretty satisfied with the latest measurement based on the fact I don't have any bass traps of the sorts. Obviously my waterfall chart might be horrible, but at least my FR is somewhat "ok"
post #18 of 22 Old 10-18-15, 09:09 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

Yes, you found a setting that results in a smooth SPL trace through the bass range. I would expect that to sound very good. The LFE will follow the Sub chart so that is great.

I don't know if the SW location is likely to be noticed. With test signals, I would expect you can locate it. With program material and without specifically trying to locate it may not be a distraction at all. Only you can say if it distracts you.

If you intend to do more testing when the foam plugs arrive:
> You can also just fill the ports with something a little denser for a trial to see the affect in case the foam is not enough to tame the low end.
> I would always test using 3 measurements; mains, SW, Mains+SW. This allows you to easily see the XO range interaction.

You have good result as is so more experimentation is more a matter of whether you enjoy the activity of fine tuning the system, or prefer to sit and enjoy program material.
post #19 of 22 Old 10-18-15, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Peter

You're on to something about the sub, it's not an ideal location so close to the listening postioning, but that's what I have to work with. So far I I'm not suffering from any localization issues, but, on certain songs I do feel it's more obvious than others. It might be because I'm expecting it

I'm very happy with the results so far, and I've certainly come further than I thought possible with the limited variables I have to work with.

I'll certainly do some more fine-tuning once I get the plugs so I can (hopefully) lower the XO to somewhere closer to 60-80 Hz.

For now I'll enjoy it!

Thanks for all the help
post #20 of 22 Old 11-04-15, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Peter

Hi, I got my foam inserts for my fronts and successfully lowered the x-over setting on my receiver.

Please see the updated charts in the first post